August 5, 2002 People Magazine Article

dylemma

August 5, 2002 People Magazine Article

Postby dylemma » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:50 pm

People magazine
august 5, 2002 issue by Jill Smolowe
Marriage, Interrupted
After adopting a son, Angelina Jolie files for divorce from Billy Bob Thornton

Looking back now, Sherry Hollingsworth says she did notice something unusual in Billy Bob Thornton's behavior when the two longtime friends had dinner in Little Rock in May. "Billy's always the happy-go-lucky type," says Hollingsworth, 47, an elementary school principal. "That little spark wasn't there. I kept thinking he's tired or doesn't feel well." Still, Thornton, 47, put on a good show, trotting out photos of wife Angelina Jolie and their infant son Maddox, whose adoption they had announced just two months earlier. One showed the happy trio lounging on a bed. It was, says Hollingsworth, "just, you know, a simple family moment."

Things have just gotten a lot more complicated. On July 17, just two months past their second wedding anniversary, Jolie, 27, filed for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences. "My daughter is very sad, " says her mother, former actress Marcheline Bertrand, 52. "It's a really tough time for her." Thornton sounded a similar note in his brief public statement: "It is a sad thing." For Jolie, this is a second divorce, for Thornton his fifth; three of his prior marriages, like this one, lasted just two years.

DarkDance

Postby DarkDance » Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:24 pm

Great article, thanks.
And good news about only Angie being on the adoption papers .. I think.
The only reason I question it is because on those divorce documents that you posted I thought I remembered something checked about Angie having custody and Billy having visitation, or something like that - although I know there was not mention of child support and we did see that Maddox's last name was, was it Thornton-Jolie or Jolie Thornton?
I need to look that up again.
Anyway, I don't think any of us thought he was going to try to take Maddox but this at least makes it less complicated for the divorce.

Return to “Angelina Jolie”