Jon Voight: A Father's Plea For Help

aj.jellybean

Postby aj.jellybean » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:59 pm

Jon Voight called Access Hollywood's Pat O'Brien and said, "I need help." Voight told Pat that he has been unable to get to his daughter, Angelina Jolie, and he is worried. The fact is, Jon hasn't had a meaningful conversation with his daughter in more than a year. As a father, he is worried, sad and heartbroken. He came to Access as a last resort to get through to Angelina. It's a story of a father, a daughter and a broken family ...

"As I told you, I think my first words to you when I asked to meet you, and we met, was that I was brokenhearted because I have been trying to reach my daughter, and get her help, and I have failed," Voight told Pat during our exclusive interview.

"I'm sorry that I haven't come forward and addressed the serious mental problems that she has spoken about so candidly to the press, but I've tried behind the scenes in every way, you can be sure. That's been my agenda, because they're very serious symptoms of real problems, real illness."

accesshollywood.msn.com/movies/0801_jonvoight.asp

dylemma

Postby dylemma » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:03 pm

eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,10333,00.html?eol.tkrhttp://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,1033...00.html?eol.tkr

WildTiger
Advanced Member

Postby WildTiger » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:12 pm

Wow.I thought she was doing so well

DarkDance

Postby DarkDance » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:47 pm

I know you gave us this link already Dylemma, but I'm going to go ahead and copy paste so we'll have it after they take it off the E website.
I'm stunned and yet, I'm not.
There's a lot more to all of this than we may ever know.
That kills me.

________
Entertainment - E! Online Gossip/Celeb

Jon Voight: Angelina Needs Help
Thu Aug 1, 8:00 PM ET
By Marcus Errico

Last month, Angelina Jolie confirmed that she and Billy Bob Thornton were ending their marriage. On Thursday, Jolie's father, Jon Voight, announced that he and his Oscar-winning offspring had also become estranged, blaming the split on what he called Jolie's "serious emotional problems."

Appearing on E! News Live, a choked-up Voight said he hadn't spoken to his daughter in months and that their relationship had seriously deteriorated since shooting Tomb Raider together in fall 2000.

"I've had difficulty reaching her," Voight said.

Voight said the last time he saw her was during Paramount's 90th anniversary party earlier this year. "I ran to give her a hug, and one of her representatives stepped in my way and said, 'Get back,' " Voight recounted.

"She's been staying away from because she knows I've been trying to reach her to get help."

DarkDance

Postby DarkDance » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:51 pm

And the Reuters version of the article:

Voight, Daughter Jolie Go Public with Estrangement
Thu Aug 1,10:05 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Two weeks after Oscar-winning actress Angelina Jolie filed for divorce from husband Billy Bob Thornton, her father revealed on Thursday in a televised interview that she has split with him as well.

In a tearful appearance on the syndicated TV show "Access Hollywood," actor Jon Voight said his daughter has "carried a lot of pain" for years, adding he was "broken-hearted ... because I've been trying to reach my daughter and get her help, and I have failed and I'm sorry."

Jolie responded with a brief statement acknowledging her estrangement from her father but offering no apologies or explanations.

"I don't want to make public the reasons for my bad relationship with my father," she said. "After all these years, I have determined that it is not healthy for me to be around my father, especially now that I am responsible for my own child."

WildTiger
Advanced Member

Postby WildTiger » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:00 pm

i know. thats the scarry part. that theres more to the story that we dont know. its eating me up inside. i cant even sleep.

Tuesday

Postby Tuesday » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:42 pm

I had forgotten that whole part he mentioned:

[QUOTE]Just last year, Jolie gave a glimpse of how frail she can feel, while telling Larry King about her sudden pre-wedding fear that husband-to-be Billy Bob Thornton had disappeared. "So they thought I was having a nervous breakdown from loss. They just suggested that I go under a 72-hour hold and put me in the hospital," said Jolie during the Larry King interview.

Now I wonder even more what exactally went wrong in their marriage.
I've tried to explain this on this site before:
Angie often picks up the personality of the role she's playing.
He's kind of saying the same kind of thing in this article, when she was Gia she was Gia, when she was Mary she was Mary (in love with Billy Bob)
When she was Lisa, she was Lisa,
Now she's whoever she's playing in "Borders" and saving the world and adopting babies.

Could it be that the reason Billy isn't talking is because he's trying to protect Angie?

dylemma

Postby dylemma » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:15 pm

i want to talk to Angelina... I think i'll fly to London and have a chat... maybe over a spot of tea, or a game of billiards perhaps.

Return to “Angelina Jolie”