Which Frida Kahlo biopic will do best?

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Mon Oct 30, 2000 2:19 pm

The cast for Salma's version seems pretty good... But Jennifer Lopez's role is starting first. Thoughts?

Stefano

Postby Stefano » Thu Nov 09, 2000 12:44 pm

Hi Jeff,

I hear that Salma's version is set to start shooting January 2001. What have you heard? If that's true I know Jennifer is releasing 'JLO' her 2nd album and The Wedding Planner.

As far as Jennifer vs. Salma, I know Salma lobbied for this part for many years and this will be her 'EVITA', I think she will do a great job, but Jennifer has yet to disappoint so I can't wait.

NikkiJane

Postby NikkiJane » Thu Nov 09, 2000 5:35 pm

I think (and hope) Salma's version will be better. She has a great cast lined up anyway. She seems like a nicer person than Jennifer Lopez too.

Stefano

Postby Stefano » Fri Nov 10, 2000 2:06 pm

Yeah I hear the cast is great! It includes Alfred Molina, Antonio Banderas, Edward Norton, Ashley Judd . Salma's
screenplay is based on the book Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo by Hayden Herrera.
I think that Jennifer's version will be held back. I think they will wait to see how this does at the box office. I believe Jennifer will do 'Bordertown' before this one. Oh well....

Paquime

Postby Paquime » Mon Nov 13, 2000 10:04 pm

This question is easy to answer, Salma's film will do better.  Simply because Salma is in it.  Frida was the quintessential Mexicana, strong, beautiful, and passionate.  Most of all Frida loved Mexico, she loved her Mexicanidad only Salmita can understand that.  Besides, I know Frida would want a Mexicana.

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Tue Nov 14, 2000 2:20 am

Both will be getting a fast start on the project not only to beat each other to the big screen, but before the SAG strike due to happen mid 2001

Stefano

Postby Stefano » Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:52 am

New update on when both projects will start filming.
Salma's 'Frida Kahlo' will start in March 2001.  Jennifer's 'The Two Frida's' will start in May 2001, and yes just like you said Jeff right before the SAG strike.  I'm also hearing rumors of Salma's Camp trying to say that only a Mexican should play the role.....Hmm...well I'm 1/2 Puerto Rican and 1/2 Mexican.
Frida was Mexican/German/Jewish so I hope they don't go there. Jennifer pulled Selena off to a T, so not start with that.
I can see Salma pulling the role off because she sorta looks like Frida (the dark looks), but then again Jennifer has her make up done by Kevyn Aucoin.

(Edited by Stefano at 4:00 am on Nov. 30, 2000)

Paquime

Postby Paquime » Wed Nov 29, 2000 4:19 pm

I think Salma's 'camp' make a valid point.  Frida may well have been part Jewish and German, but she was thoroughly in love with being Mexican.  Her art certainly reflects that.  Salma is part Lebanese, but like Kahlo loves her Mexican heritage.  Salma will do a great job, not because she resembles Frida, but because she understands Frida.

Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are not interchangeable.  They are two different and too different cultures.

Return to “Salma Hayek”