Salma Hayek As A Man On Conan O'brien

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:20 am

>> Conan: All right, everybody, we are back. My first guest has gotten rave reviews for her portrayal of mexican artist frida kahlo in the new movie "frida" which is now playing in select cities. Please welcome salma hayek.

[ Cheers and applause ]

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Man: I love y!

>> Tnkou. Light laught>> Can: I have to sa every timeou've on the sho y've been wearing gorgeous, sexyutfit. Is is not what iad in mind.

[ Laughter it loo gat, though. Very cvincin

>> What, you don find me se

>> Conan: Okay, yes, maybe.

[ Laughter ] You're putting me through all kinds of changes right now.

>> Are you turning already?

>> Conan: Yes, I'm turning. I'm coming to your side of things, yes.

>> Okay.

>> Conan: Is this -- what made you decide to go this way this halloween?

>> Well, in the movie, frida sometimes ess as a man.

>> Con: Mm-H. Soouhought, "thiti I'm going as man"?

>> Yes.

Canokay, how do it fl? Is it king you feel dierent?

>> Le it, yes. Love it.

>> Conan: Ah

[ Laughter ] Take it from me. It's very sexy being a man. When I'm a man, I'm just sexy.

[ Laughter ]

>> When I'm a man, I'm just sexy, too.

>> Conan: Yeah. Is that -- can we get a shot of your brow going across there? Lo athat. That ia ter gallaghe eyebrow going rit ross.

[ Laughter is tha--

>>Nde's sexy, yokn? Heas the one bw, anhe sexy.

>> Con: That --

that painteinhe, ause I notiheovie, too, you had that powerful eyebrow going across.

>> Yes, in the movie, was likeheidden mustac, but they put it between my eyeow

>> Conan: Diyou just give everyonen america the fier?

>> Oh, I did. I'soy.

[ Lauger ]

[ Cheersnd applause ]

>> Conan: Look, you're angr ing.

[ Laughter ] This outfit is reallchchanging your whole attitude about everything. "Yeah, I got an hour."

>> A new character. But today, christopher, my friend who does my make up, he puts the fake eyelashes as the eyebrows.

>> Conan: Right, right.

>> You know, I used to have one eyebrow when I was younger.

>> Conan: Mm-hmm.

>> And then I started plucking them, and they got a divorce, so now they're separated.

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: So the eyebrows actually separated.

>> Yes.

>> Conan: Okay. And also, you have a painted-on mustache now.

>> Actually, you know, for the film "frida," I was going to have a mustache because she had a mustache when she was older, and she had a little one when she was younger, but you couldn't really see it, so we tried fake, and it didn't work. So I shaved to try to grow it.

>> Conan: See, that's crazy. You're salma hayek. Why do you want -- if you do that, you're going to start having like a 5:00 shadow for the rest of your life.

>> Exactly. I would do anyrt, but yokn it was terrible

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Uh-huh

>> It waterrible because you codn see it soell with theigs inhe movie, buin real li, yocan see it. But today itame handy becae all we had to w put some mca oit.

>> Conan: Yeah, that's the better way to go I think than you, "I've got to grow a mustache for this role." 'Cause that's going to hurt you getting other roles when you have a big handlebar mustache, and you're like, "why can't I play the sexy girl? What's wrong?"

[ Laughter ]

>> You can wax it. You'd be surprised how many men like a mustache, and they don't talk about it.

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Why are you looking at me?

[ Laughter ] Did you -- now, what's like the weirdest thing you've ever dressed up as on halloween? What's like a -- have you ever made a choice on halloween -- because a lot of people -- I don't do it. I don't go out dressed up on halloween.

>> No need for you.

[ Audience ohs ]

[ Laughter ]

[ Applause ]

[ Audience boos ] I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding.

>> Conan: Okay.

>> Okay.

>> Conan: I almost gave you the finger right back.

[ Laughter ] And then I decided not to. I'm still mad that you can grow a better mustache than I can.

[ Laughter ] Did you -- what's the strangest thing you've ever dressed up?

>> Well, last year, I dressed as a pimp, but it was a little bit strange 'cause I had to have dinner with this friend of mine from brazil, and he made the dinner at a very stuffy restaurant -- small, you know, old rich people -- and I dressed as a pimp. I had a huge afro and these golden glasses and a shirt that had the dollars and lots of chains and white and green nts and a white belt and white shoes. Anyway, I show up, and they won't let me in. And I tried to pull, like, "I'm salma hayek. Come on, I have a date in there." Not a date, but like friend's waiting for me. And I had to show an I.D.

>> Conan: Right.

>> So finally, they let me in, and he was fantastic because all these people, you know, eating their little food, stopped.

>> Conan: And you weren't at the olive garden. As like a really nice --

[ Laughter ]

>> No, no, really nice. Everybody -- everything went quiet. Everybody stopped talking, and they're all staring at me, and I'm walking to my friend, and my friend doesn't recognize me and is looking around, like, sayi, "I don't know this person, you know?" And then I sat down, and I talked, and of course, the accent alwgives it away.

>> Conan: Right.

>> And he started laughing, and then everybody started clapping.

>> Conan: Well, that's nice. It ended in applause?

>> Yeah, I had an applause for my costume I was wearing.

>> Conan: People said, "that's no pimp! That's salma hayek!"

[ Laughter ]

>> That's correct.

>> Conan: Yay! What a strange night at the restaurant. Let's talk about this movie. Eight years working on this movie. From the very beginning, I guess the conception of this movie --

>> It's from the time when I became involved as a producer in the movie.

>> Conan: Right, and this is a movie, of course, about a famous artist. It's a stunning movie. I watched it last night, and I thought it was just like -- it's a stunning film, and you can tell that a lot of work went into this 'cause you really wanted to inhabit this character. When you spend literally eight years working on something, by the time you've got around to actually shooting it, you must have been thrilled. You must have been excited.

>> I was so excited. It was amazing because I was exhausted, but I would wake up like this with a smile on my face, and you know, today --

>> Conan: People might think something's wrong with you if you do that a lot.

[ Laughter ]

>> Today I get to go and have my leg amputated, you know?

[ Laughter ] Today I have an accident, and, you know, all my bones are going to be broken. It was very --

>> Conan: I hope that was all in the movie. Yeah, no.

[ Laughter ]

>> That was all in the movie.

>> Conan: No, in the movie, all these things -- all these, you know, sort of terrible things happen to your character, and your character goes through all these. I mean, it's a tough role 'cause you're drinking, and you're --

>> I was watching --

[ Unintelligible ]

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: That was the easy part. "Here, drink this giant bottle of tequila." We have a clip here from the film. What do we need to know to set up this clip?

>> Well, all you need to know is that it's a drinking contest, and whoever wins the contest -- it's supposed to bn two men -- siqueiros and diego rivera, who ends up being my husband. They're both artists from mexico, and whoever wins between the two of them gets to dance with tina modotti, who's played by ashley judd, and siqueiros is played by antonio banderas, and my husband is played by --

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Eight years you've worked on this movie. Eight years, and you're like, "some guy plays my husband."

>> No, I adore him. I adore him with all my heart. Alfred molina.

>> Conan: Okay, let's look at this scene with you and what's his ne. T'take a look. Laughter ]

>> Alfred molina.>> Conan: I'm kidding.

>> I'd rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.

>> Shall we?

[ Cheers and applause ]>> Conan: It's a sexy scene. I won't give it away.

>> Sexy movie. Sexy movie.

[ Applause ]

>> Conan: It is a sexy movie. A lot of incredibly sexy scenes in this movie. "Frida" -- and you know, when I say that, I mean it because I'm very repressed.

[ Light laughter ] "Frida" is now -- it's now playing in select cities. It's expanding further in the weeks to come. Salma, thank you very much for being here.

>> Thank you so much.

>> Conan: Salma hayek, everybody.

Return to “Salma Hayek”