Salma Hayek On Last Call With Carson Daly

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:03 am

Carson: We're back here with salma hayek. Xzibit will perform. This movie that salma's in that I've seen, it's wonderful. It's the story of Frida kahlo. Did I say it right? This woman -- and salma plays her. She drinks constantly throughout the film. She smokes, she high on morphine, she's bisexl. It is the story of the perfect woman.

[ Light laughter ] Tell me about -- about "Frida." And I know that you're involvement goes way as a producer trying to convince miramax to do this film. It took eight years.

Salma: Well, actually -- miramax was pretty good. But, you know, we work like in different homes. I was, you know, dragging it in different places because I never thought -- once we were about to make it, I di'd't think it was the right film. And actually, miramax was pretty brave and gave us the money.

Carson: Tell me more about Frida, this woman, and how you became so enthralled with her and the story.

Salma: Well, Frida's this woman -- a mexican artist. And I saw her paintings when I was 14 years old. And I said, "oh, my god, that is horrible. That is so weird. What the hell is that?" They were bloody. They were, like, strange. And I went home, and I couldn't get them off my head. So I went back to my friend's house, who showed them to me. And I would look at the book. And I started reading and asking questions. And I become completely mesmerized and fascinated with this woman. Now we just made the movie after many years of knowing her and eight years of developing it. And I'm very excited 'cause it's doing great. And because, you know, we thought, you know, people are not going to be interested in the subject matter. It'll be a small art film. And it turns out, it's very commercial. Everybody likes it. We tested it. We expected to test in the 40s, which is normal for an art film. 90s -- I mean -- huge, you know, like people are really liking it.

Carson: It's good, though. I think that helps.

[ Light laughter ] The fact that it's good, despite, you know, the topic and people's interest in it.

Salma: I also -- the fact that they were ahead of their time then. They're ahead of our time now. So we really get to explore a completely new way of seeing love and life.

Carson: And the way it's shot. I think julie, the director, was -- she directed --

Salma: Amazing job.

Carson: -- "Lion king" on broadway. It has a sort of like "moulin rouge" sort of feel to it, a little bit. In fact, there's a smashing pumpkins video that reminded me of that. But it's shot very, very well. And it's just very cool to watch. When young people go and see this movie and the story of Frida, this artist, what is it that you would like them to take away? An appreciation for her art, the story of her and diego? This love story is just psychotic, at best.

Salma: I don't want -- no, not necessarily anything about her art. I hope people -- some people love it, some people hate it. It doesn't matter. What I think is important about this woman is that she had the courage to be unique. And I think that this is something -- especially if you're a girl, but for everybody, you know. You have so much information about -- with society, the media. It's hard to find who you are. And then you decide your personality according to acceptance, because you want to be accepted. And here's this woman who shuts everyone off --

Carson: She did not care.

Salma: -- And listens to herself and really sees who she is.

Carson: In fact, painted herself often.

Salma: Painted herself because she had a constant internal dialogue. And people didn't like her paintings there. Now they sell for $5.1 million. She is the highest sold female artist in the world and highest latin-american paid artist in the world. And she lived in the '20s. And she was so unique and courageous. Ani think this is what young people would get about this film, even more than older people, even though it's a period piece.

Carson: Let me show this scene. Thiss -- alfred molina plays diego in this, the love interest. He's wonderful in this film. This is the two of you in bed. Let's roll it down.

Salma: Unfortunately, I'm physiologically incapable of fidelity.

Salma: Oh, really?

Salma: Yes. A doct acquaintance of mine confirmed this.

Salma: What a convenient diagnosis.

Salma: Is fidelity that important to you?

Salma: Loyalty is important to me. Can you be loyal?

Salma: To you? Always.

Salma: Good. Because I love you.

Carson: Very nice. It's just beautiful.

[ Cheers and applause ] Ashley judd is also in it.

Salma: We've got a great cast. Ashley judd --

Carson: Actually, one of my favorite actors, edward nortoin it for a seco and I know he did a lot of script doctoring on it.

Salma: Oh, my god, he really rewrote this beautifully.

Carson: Didn't get credit, I don't think.

Salma: No.

Carson: It's a shame.

Salma: That's life.

Carson: I'm a big fan of monkeys. I actually -- this is a monkey I own. This is clyde at the san diego zoo. Monkey. I heard you got into a fight with a monkey on the set. And are you okay?

Salma: Yeah.

Carson: Never mind you, is the monkey okay?

Salma: The monkey won the fight. The monkey -- his name was tyson. And I should have known, you know?

[ Light laughter ] Frida had a lot of animals. She had monkeys -- lots of monkeys and dogs and stuff. And this monkey was so sweet. And then the trainer went away, left it to a woman. And this woman didn't want the monkey.

Carson: Was it a hollywood monkey? The ones that are suppose to behave?

Carson: Monkeys are the worst pets to have in the world. But this should have been a good one that you were shooting with.

Carson: What did it do, did it attack you?

Salma: We're in my trailer, and we're just hanging out. And all of a sudden --

Carson: You and the monkey, tyson, hanging out?

Salma: Yeah. I love -- we were really good friends -- the trailer. And then he saw my cd case. And he goes after the cd case.

Carson: Right.

Salma: "No, no, no, no." So we started fighting after the cds. And he won.

Carson: You and the monkey, tyson?

Salma: Yeah. He beat -- I mean, he beat me.

Carson: You're like, "don't touch my chili peppers cd."

Salma: He beat me like you have no idea. I'm like, "give it to me, give it!" And we're fighting, and he's screaming. I go, "okay, tyson, let go," you know? And I take it away. And he just goes --

[ Screeching ] You know, and starts biting

hands. Oh, I'm screaming. I'm trying to, you know, throw the monkey out the window. And everybody comes. And the trainer showed up that night, thank god. He goe "tyson, what happened?" And then they made him apologize, and --

[ Laughter ]

Carson: Oh, that is great.

Salma: I put my very digfified face. Anfinally -- we made up. And we did a scene next day.

Carson: It's funny. People are trying to -- people are trying to sleep right now. And the last thing as they're dozing off is salma saying, "i was trying to throw the monkey out the window." Like someone's in bed right now going, "what's this show? What the hell's going on over here?" Listen, you're a sweetheart to be here. Congratulations on the film.

Salma: Thank you.

Salma:Arn: It'excellent. Thank you for being here. Salma hayek, everybody.

Return to “Salma Hayek”