Tonight Show Transcript w/ Brad 2/1

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Fri Feb 02, 2001 3:25 am

>> Jay: Great game. My first guest is an oscar-nominated actor, one of the biggest stars in the world, currently starring in 'snatch.'S a terrific film. I think people are going to really enjoy it.R near you. 'The mexican' which opens march 2nd.Pitt!

[ Wild cheers and applause ]

>> jay: Thanks for coming. How you doin'?

>> Yeah, i'm doing great, jay. Th

>> jay: You all right?

>> Yeah, it's really cool.[ Cheers and applause ]

>> jay: I like that suit.

>> Thank you very much.

>> Jay: You look good in a suit.

[ Man yells ]

[ laughter ] I'm looking, i realize that is exactly one half of my suit.

>> How so?

>> Jay: Well, I mean it's just -- mine has twice as much material.

>> You mean sheer cloth.

[ Laughter ]

>> jay: Yeah, yeah. You look good. See, it looks good on you, I dunno. Hey, great job in 'snatch.' It's a little english --

[ cheers and applause ] have you seen it? Okay.

[ Applause ] again, this is something that i admire. When big stars do these little low-budget movies and it's sort of that quiet cult hit. For those who haven't seen it, tell people what it's about.

>> It's this crazy cast of characters that are all chasing a giant diamond basically. But if you seen the first film, guy ritchie's first film -- it's called 'lock, stock and two smoking barrels' -- and it's got this great energy in it just the way it weaves all these characters together. And it's really pretty ingenious i have to say.

>> Jay: Now, you play?

>> I play 'one-punch' mickey.

[ Laughter ] I know. I'm not a fighter.

>> Jay: An irish gypsy, right?

>> An irish gypsy, tinker, fighter, bare-knuckle fighter. Yeah.

>> Jay: Now, how did you get this film? I mean, this is a little film. It's a small movie obviously.

>> I had seen the first one, so, you know, I went knocking on his door.

>> Jay: You called him up.

>> I called him up and said, 'loved it, got anything in the next one?' And he told me about this irish fighter guy.

>> Jay: Wait a minute. Back up for a minute now.

>> Yeah.

>> Jay: Okay, you telephone -- now if i got, 'this is brad pitt,' I'd be like, 'yeah, right,' click.

[ Laughter ] I mean, how does that happen? You just call him up?

>> I think he gets a warning first.

>> Jay: Oh, he gets a warning that you're going to call.

>> Yeah, that it's legit, yeah.

>> Jay: Oh, okay.

>> But he was very cool about it. He didn't want to -- 'only if it fits.'

>> Jay: Right, right.

>> So I think the original character was supposed to be about 300 pounds.

[ Light laughter ] but somehow it still fit.

[ Light laughter ] he just made it work.

>> Jay: How does that work? Because again, i know this town a little bit. Obviously, you're a big star, and I'm not trying to embarrass you. I know you get a lot of money for movies. This is not a big-money movie. This budget is probably less than what you get in a -- do all agents --

>> i really don't get a lot. I mean, I do, I do. But I always end up taking cuts. They always bill me as this guy, but I always take cuts because I wanna work with so-and-so. I wanna do this and --

>> jay: Right. Well, that's what I mean. I mean, do you have agents and people in hollywood going, 'oh, no you can't do that. It's bad to be in a little' -- because there's so many layers --

>> no they've given up on that. Yeah, they know me well enough by now.

>> Jay: See, that's what i admire. I like that you just do --

>> jay: You know what you like to work.

[ Laughter ] the language that you talk, it's a combination of what? This gypsy --

>> hell if i know.

[ Laughter ] no, that action is really the 40-foot fade-away with 3 seconds left on the clock. I didn't know what i was going to do. I was more worried about the fighting, because I'm not a fighter.

>> Jay: Right.

>> I don't like to hit people. I don't like to get hit.

[ Crowd aws ] no, I'm not being nice --

[ laughter ] what are you kidding me? It hurts.

[ Laughter ] I don't like it. I want no part of it.

>> Jay: Have you ever been decked in real life?

>> Yeah, it's been back in 1932 or --

[ laughter

>> jay: Right, right.

>> I ended up squeezin' the guy's satchel just to get him off me.

[ Laughter ]

>> jay: Really?

>> Yeah, yeah.

>> Jay: That might have encouraged him?

[ Laughter ] you were taking his --

>> no, it was in missouri.

[ Laughter ]

>> jay: I mean, did you have lines or were you just making up the dialogue?

>> No, those are legitimate lines, yeah. Yeah. But I had a head start. I had done an irish accent before, which is a northern accent. First you start with the melody. Everything kinda goes up.

[ In irish accent ] it's all very lyrical like this. 'You're a stupid man, mr. Burke. You' a very attractive man, mr. Leno.'

[ Laughter ] 'that's a lovely suit mr. Leno.'

>> Jay: Just don't go grabbing my satchel.

[ Laughter ] but you look different. Did you have something -- did you do something to your face in this movie?

>> Yeah, just a little bridge of the nose, because i got this kinda cute, little pixie nose that says, 'this guy doesn't fight.'

>> Jay: Yeah, yeah. Because it looked like -- I couldn't figure out what it was.

>> Yeah, you k it up a little bit.

>> Jay: Okay. Now, you have the tatoos, do those come off in the shower or how do those work?

>> Yeah, they were supposed to. They started with henna, and then we found out someone got henna poisoning. They were supposed to last for the entire shoot. We shot -- my section was two weeks.

>> And so then we went to this other tattoo ink that was supposed to last for four or five days. But it only ended up lasting about a day. And it was five hours to apply all these tattoos, which means you got to get up butt-early in the morning. It's not fun before you start a full day of shooting, so -- can I talk more with my hands?

[ Laughter ]

>> jay: I'm just trying to figure out what time exactly butt-early is?

[ Laughter ]

>> butt-early is the crack of dawn.

[ Laughter ]

>> jay: Let's show people a clip of what we're talking about. Because I really loved this movie. It really made me laugh. Take a look. Oh, here you are, you're trying to get these guys to give you a trailer.

>> That's right.

>> Jay: Or a caravan.

>> We're bartering.O do this fight for them.

>> And i'm saying yeah, if you do something for me. If you can understand this. Take a look.

[ In thick irish accent ]

>> aye, that's a terrible --

[ speaking gibberish ]

>> yeah, that's perfectly clear, mickey, yeah. Just give me one minute to confer with my colleague. Did you understand a single word of what he just said?

[ Muffled laughter ] I'll tell you what i'm gonna do?

>> I'll bet your pardon.

>> You'll what?

>> All: He'll bet your pardon.

>> That's what tommy did last time.

>> He'll do me a favor?

>> I'll do a favor.

[ Speaking gibberish ] if i win i get a caravan, and a pair of them shoes.

[ Laughter ] if i lose, i'll do the fight for free.

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> i got to say benicio --

>> jay: Huh?

>> I got to give credit to benicio.

>> Jay: Yeah?

>> Yeah. Three days before I started this thing I was in a panic. I couldn't figure out what i was supposed to do. And drawn from benicio del toro -- have you guys seen 'traffic' yet?

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> jay: Oh, yeah, yeah.

>> This guy, he just makes me wanna work every time I see him. But remember him in 'the usual suspects?' He was kinda the first guy who made it okay to be incomprehensible. And so borrowing from him, yeah, we went with this. And it really worked out for us.

>> Jay: It worked out great. Let's take a break. When we come back I wanna ask you abouthat.

[ Applause ]

>> okay.

>> Jay: Be right back. More with brad pitt right after this.

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> jay: Welcome back. Talking to brad pitt. The movie is 'snatch.'

[ Applause ] you and jennifer aniston got married last year.

>> Yes, we did.

>> Jay: That looked like it was a lot of fun.

>> It was fantastic.

>> Jay: Yeah. Now, how did you keep the press away? You guys did a pretty good job.

>> Well, i got -- there's two bits to that.Y with that. I get a little, you know, the paparazzi and I, we have a big game going on. And I started getting a little carried away with it, and jen would smack me around and remember why we were there. And, you know, we wanted to do the thing outside. We wanted to write our own ceremony, and we just kind of gave up on it all. And something happened. At the very last minute when the ceremony started, the press backed off. And I really have to thank them, because they were just so cool with this. And they let us have our moment. They let us have, what turned out to be, the highlight of my life. Yeah.

>> Jay: Wow. I've never heard of that happening.

[ Applause ] that's pretty good. But now, i mean, you've been out of the country a lot this year. Is that tricky with a newlywed, being out of the country?

>> Yeah, it's tough. Distance is a beast. It's a beast.

>> Jay: So, what do you do?

>> Well, fortunately, 'friends' is on. You can find 'friends' in pretty much any country. There's a lot of phone bills. I get to see 'friends' --

>> jay: Right. Yeah.

>> -- In spanish or german. 'Guten aus geschneiden.'

[ Laughter ] 'duka duka duke.' It's kind of that, so I can still get a little taste.

>> Jay: Yeah, yeah.

>> Or we also, we have the web cams.

>> Jay: Is that a little taste, seeing her on 'friends'?

>> That makes me happy.

>> Jay: And you have a web --

>> we have web cams. Yeah, with the, you know, the --

>> jay: Video conferencing?

>> Yeah, i'm new to this game. But technology rocks.

[ Light laughter ] but we have these web cams, and you can't see movement, really. It's like every six seconds it takes a picture. Yeah, it's like, you'll be talking and it'll freeze like this.

[ Laughter ] and you say something else and you'll laugh.

[ Laughter ] but you still -- you know, you just get -- she gets to see what room I'm stuck in. And I get to see her.

>> Jay: Well, it seems like it's pretty -- it seems like you should be together.

>> We're doing our best.

>> Jay: Yeah, yeah.

>> We are.

>> Jay: Now, i know you grew up in missouri. Do you get back home there very often?

>> Once or twice a year. Or, you know, the clan comes out.

>> Jay: Is it crazy? You go back, you see the high schools guys?

>> Not really. I mean, my folks are on the river, so usually when we get to get away it's time off, so we just kind of hang out with them and the family.

>> Jay: Now, what did they think when you went into show -- I mean, because I came from a small town, too. It's like, 'showbiz?' You know? I mean, were they worried for you?

>> Yeah.

>> Jay: Did you think, 'oh my god, this is' --

>> well, it's not an option, acting in missouri. When i moved out here -- i lied. I just said, you know, i didn't tell them. I told them I was going to go to the arts center in pasadena, which is a good design school. They got hit pretty quick.

>> Jay: Yeah. Well, that's cool. Now, tell us about 'the mexican.' This is you and, is it julia roberts?

>> Julia roberts, james gandolfini from 'the sopranos.'

>> Jay: Oh, that's a good -- yeah, I love him, too. He's great, too.

>> Ah, he's amazing. I just want to know.Have to wait so long for the next season? What is going on?

>> Jay: I know, with 'the sopranos' you want to -- i think it starts next month.

>> I hope so. I'll shut up then.

[ Laughter ]

>> jay: So, what is this one about?

>> This one is about -- this is -- oh, god, what is it about? Um, you know, I find it very funny. Couples, you know, fight a lot.

>> 'Cause it's always about nothing. It's about the silliest things. We catch this couple at that moment in their life where they are just not getting along. Nothing's working. And he's required -- she's been hanging out for him. He's required to do this one last job, as many movies go.

>> Jay: Yeah.

>> But -- and she's saying, 'i'm not having it. I'm going on with my life.' And from there, the high jinks ensue.

>> Jay: Well, here, we have a clip. Let's take a look. Here's a scene from 'the mexican.' It opens next month.

>> Come on, buddy. Come on. Okay. Go! Good man. No, no, no. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't mean -- hey!

>> Que paso hora?

>> Beunas noche.

>> Beunas noche.

>> I need a lift to the next town in your truck. I need a ride in your automobile to the next town. I can't pay you. I have no money, no dinero.

>> De niro?

>> None.

>> Robert de niro? Robert de niro.

>> Yeah. I need a lift in your el trucko to the next towno. Villageo, pueblo.

>> Pueblo.

>> Yeah, si.

>> Pueblo.

>> Si.

>> Okay.

>> Yes.

[ Applause ]

>> jay: Brad, thanks for coming.

>> Great, jay.

>> Jay: Can you come backime?

>> Yeah.

>> Jay: Hey, are you anxious -- do you have a favorite in the 'jaywalk allstar'?

>> Yeah, the gastritis major.

>> Jay: Oh, okay, I know the one you mean. That was lisa.

>> Lisa, go lisa.

>> Jay: We'll be back with beck right after this and the 'jaywalk allstars.' Brad pitt. Be right back.

Return to “Brad Pitt”