JENNIFER LOPEZ WORLDPOP INTERVIEW

Crave
Ultra Member

Postby Crave » Mon Dec 25, 2000 6:44 pm

The Latino one has a few things to say about those who've been bad-mouthing her of late. In the first part of worldpop's Jennifer Lopez interview, the actress and singer gives as good as she gets

worldpop: You've had a well-publicised slagging from some notable female celebs. Does it bother you?
Jennifer: Women can definitely be catty, but I always feel that those who are successful don't concentrate on things like that. These women should let go of all that and concentrate on bettering themselves. I say to these women, you are wasting your time when you are wondering what so and so is doing and what she has achieved. You are wasting your time because you are not doing anything constructive. The only person I have always been in competition with is myself. Whatever other people say, I'll continue to do that because I want to be better at what I do.

worldpop: Do you think they're jealous of your good looks?
Jennifer: It's funny, I think beauty comes from within. Everybody looks different to different people. When I look in the mirror, I don't consider myself the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen. It's the inside that counts more to me. You can have the most beautiful person, but if they are ugly on the inside, there's nothing attractive about them.

worldpop: Yeah, but doing what you do, being good-looking must help?
Jennifer: In this business you definitely have to prove yourself. That's just the way it is, it's very 'What have you done for me lately?' For men and women, beautiful men and beautiful women, average-looking men, average-looking women, you all have to prove yourself.

worldpop: Do your friends tend to be male or female?
Jennifer: I'm a girls' girl, I hang out with my girlfriends. Last year, this women's magazine voted me their favourite star. Having women out there feeling about me like that, that makes me feel good. Of course, it is wonderful to be voted something by men, too. But with women it really is a complement.

worldpop: Do you ever get nervous?
Jennifer: Oh yes. When I was doing that movie 'Blood And Wine', I remember having an anxiety attack because I had to do this love scene the next day [with Jack Nicholson, not surprised she was nervous]. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought, 'Oh my God, what is happening? Am I going crazy? What is this feeling my heart is beating out of my chest? I can't sleep, I'm hot ... what is this?' But it was just the brief moment. You learn how to deal with things and I was fine the next day. But, yes, I have had my moments of doubt. When things like that happen, I always realise I love my job too much … despite all the negatives that sometimes make you want to leave it!

worldpop: Do people bother you when you're out and about?
Jennifer: It's not that bad for me. It's funny, some days nobody recognises me and the next day, everybody walks up to me. It's like, 'Why is everybody noticing me today?' And then I might realise that I have my hair like I did in 'Anaconda' or 'Out of Sight'. Sometimes I just look like me!

worldpop: Do you have any regrets about losing your privacy?
Jennifer: No. I chose this career so I have to learn how to deal with it. It's very scary to loose your anonymity, to walk outside and realise people know who you are, know your name, know where you were last week, that's not cute at first. The way I dealt with it was by really grabbing on to who I was, to who I am, where I came from. My family became very important to me. The friends I have had for a long time became very important. My inner circle is like three people. That's all there is, that's the real stuff. When it comes to the media, my motto is: never complain and never explain. That's what I live by.

by Liz Rich/Famous

In Part Two, Jennifer Lopez on the ups and downs of balancing her career between singing and acting. 'I would be more afraid to have regrets later of not having had the strength to try at least,' she says. Blimey.

In the second part of her worldpop interview, Jennifer Lopez gives us the low-down on balancing her life between singing and acting. With two dream careers safely tucked in her belt, what's left for her to do? It's all here …

worldpop: You took people by surprise when you launched your singing career, was your success as much of a surprise to you?
Jennifer: I started dancing and singing when I was five, actually. Of course, not professionally. When I was that young, I was a strong believer in things happen when they are supposed to happen for certain reasons. It just so happened people got to know me as an actress first. I was lucky for that and I was very grateful. My debut album happened at the right time for me. It was the right time to let go of movies for a while. It is not gimmick or something. It's just something I always knew I would do.

worldpop: Did you ever worry that if your album flopped it would damage your acting career?
Jennifer: I am aware there's a risk involved, but I can't live like that. I can't be afraid like that. I would be more afraid to have regrets later of not having had the strength to try at least.

worldpop: What advice would you give to someone who wants to be like you?
Jennifer: When I was a struggling dancer and singing, me and this girl we were trying to hit it big and talked to everybody: 'You have to hire us for this and you have to make something happen ... ' and so on. And this choreographer once said: 'You know, you girls, you keep running and running. The best thing I can tell you is to slow down. What you are after is right behind you and trying to catch up with you'. And he was right because in this business it is about making the right choices at the right time, being selective, knowing when to say no. You could get offered a lot of money to do a bad film. If it isn't totally right, you have to learn when to say no. You have to have the patience to wait for the right thing and know that one day it's gonna come. It's fate!

worldpop: If you had to say success was down to hard work or luck, which would you go for?
Jennifer: A bit of both; a lot of work and a lot of luck too. There are so many talented people out there, so who is to say which one makes it and which one doesn't? I guess that has to do with luck also.

worldpop: What do you make of other people who act and sing, like Will Smith and Madonna?
Jennifer: You know what? They are artists to me, performers, it's not as uncommon as people want to make it. There have been times when it was normal and there was a time when a few actors sang and it didn't work out so people said, 'Oh God, actors can't sing!' But that's ridiculous, it's ridiculous to hold people down because you know them as one thing. You don't know anything about them and their skills. Just think back to the '50s and '60s when there was musical theatre and actors had to do all three: sing and act and dance and there was nothing uncommon about it.

worldpop: Are there any more dreams left for you to fulfil?
Jennifer: Just the dream of having my own family. I say that all the time because I feel like you can have whatever career you have, you can be what everybody perceives to be the luckiest person on earth, but if you don't have a family to go home to when all that goes away, you don't have a life. Career is not your life, it is only your job.

Liz Rich/Famous

Return to “Jennifer Lopez”