Could Jennifer Lopez be the next Coco Chanel.

pinkGLAM
Ultra Member

Could Jennifer Lopez be the next Coco Chanel.

Postby pinkGLAM » Thu Apr 26, 2001 9:34 pm

^^Jennifer Lopez and Andy Hilfiger

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Attention women of the world who have problems finding casual wear to properly hug their curves: Jennifer Lopez wants to dress you in her favorite styles and make you look unashamedly sexy. 'It's time for the world to wear my look,' Lopez told reporters at a press conference Thursday to introduce a new line of self-designed 'sporty chic' urban wear especially for women and spun from her own imagination. 'From little to voluptuous everybody gets to be sexy,' she said.

----------------------------------------------
E!Online article

Could Jennifer Lopez be the next Coco Chanel...or Sean Jean?

Following in the steps of ex-boyfriend Sean 'Jean-Puffy-P. Diddy' Combs and Tejano popster Selena (whom Lopez played in her breakout movie), the artist otherwise known as J.Lo is launching her own signature clothing line.

'It's time for the world to wear my look,' Lopez told reporters at a Thursday press conference.

The fashionable star wants everyone, especially curvy fashionistas, to dress sexy in her favorite styles. 'From little to voluptuous everybody gets to be sexy,' she said.

While the duds, shown off by models during the announcement, are not exactly groundbreaking, they are trendy. We're talking low slung French jeans with lace-up backs, tiny T-shirts, powder blue velvet sweat suits (yes, sweat suits), acid washed denim mini-dresses stitched together from various pairs of jeans and denim spike-heeled boots.

The 'J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez' line will debut at department stores and specialty stores in time for Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas parties. (Sounds like just the kind of thing you want to put on for that trip to grandma's house.)

'Just because you dress sexy doesn't mean you're a bad girl, it just means you know how to dress,' said Lopez. She should know, given the amount of attention she received for the see-through Chanel number she donned for last month's Oscars or the infamous V-neck and tape Versace she, um, wore at the 2000 Grammys.

For now, however, the J.Lo line will stick to outfits the newbie designer has worn in film and videos as opposed to her award-show threads. Lopez says the clothes will range in price from $20 for a T-shirt to $850 for a leather skirt.

The singer, who made history when her second album, J.Lo, topped the charts the same week as her latest film, The Wedding Planner, said, 'From the time I was little I would get a really whacked pair of pants really cheap and cut them and make a beautiful tiny miniskirt out of them because I was on a lower budget at that time.'

'Like my childhood dreams of acting, singing and dancing, fashion is a natural extension of what I think is my artistic expression.

Besides, she's also doing the good Lord's work. 'I find it is difficult for women who are curvaceous to find clothes in stores that fit. The voluptuous woman is almost ignored. I want to offer clothes that are wonderfully designed and will fit women of all sizes. Everybody gets to be sexy.'

Lopez is partnering with Andy Hilfiger, the 39-year-old younger brother of designer Tommy Hilfiger, and Larry Stemmerman to form Sweetface Fashions to market and sell the line. Future plans for Sweetface Fashions include licensing J.Lo fragrances, accessories, eyewear and swimwear.

And then global domination.

(Edited by pinkGLAM at 8:23 pm on April 27, 2001)

Kailly

Postby Kailly » Tue May 01, 2001 4:29 pm

I wonder what department stores are gonna have her clothes. I cant wait though.... some stuff sounds really cool

Return to “Jennifer Lopez”