THE WOMAN WHO SEDUCED THE WORLD

Postby Miss Moon » Fri Jul 06, 2001 2:16 pm

Pictures from this magazine:

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Fri Jul 06, 2001 2:25 pm

Here's the article for that magazine:

THE WOMAN WHO SEDUCED THE WORLD

When she was a dancer, hip hoppers flipped. When she was an actress, the critics raved. When she was a singer, the entire planet seemed to crank up the volume. Now she’s doing all three, is there anybody still immune to the awesome allure of Jennifer Lopez? We asked those on the inside what it’s like to be in her orbit

by Peter Lyle

Jennifer was dancing in a Puffy video when I first met her. She’d just finished doing Out Of Sight and she was already on her way. And everyone knew her from Selena too. And obviously a lot of the hip hop community really liked her ‘cos they’d followed her since she was a fly girl dancing with Living Color. Among all those girls you could see she was hot. She was already a legend, just this beautiful, beautiful girl. And she really is. There’s been times when I’ve operated the camera working with her and I’ve just had to pull my face away from the eyepiece ‘cos she’s so amazing, and had to pinch myself and go, like: ‘Wow! I can’t believe I’m shooting her!’

I think performance has always been in her. Before she was an actress she was in the Boys & Girls Club —you know, guys that had programs in the neighborhood and put on plays in the community theatre where kids could come and hang out and stay out of trouble. So she was singing and acting and dancing with that when she was a little girl. So I think a lot of kids relate to it like a Cinderella story — this girl who comes from a regular neighborhood and has had to work her way up. And that’s so cool. A lot of her fans, like myself, who’ve come up from nothing have a great deal of respect for that. She makes people feel they can talk to her They feel like they can approach her. They don’t consider her an idol, they consider her a friend.
We spent a lot of time afterwards just hanging out. Went to the MTV Movie Awards together one time. We cross paths a lot and she’s always been pretty much the same. When we did the last video we had her running across the sand in her heels and she thought she’d twisted and broken her ankle. So in the middle of the scene we have to rush oft to the hospital but she still wanted to stay there and do the shot. She came back the next day and finished the video in an ankle wrap. It’s not about work with her, she really enjoys the moment. She enjoys having an atmosphere for her to perform in. She has fun. She becomes like the same person she was when she was 13 years old — this little girl performing in front of the mirror.
Paul Hunter has directed four Jennifer Lopez videos— ‘Love Don’t Cost A Thing’, ‘If You Had My Love’, ‘Feelin’ So Good’ and ‘Play’.
Before it was an All-J-Lo-All-The-Time kind of world, Jennifer Lopez was simply a hot actress with a prominent butt who’d made a couple of medium-hit films (Out Of Sight, Selena) and had decided to try her hand at a pop album — or, as she called her music at the time, ‘Latin soul’. This is when I came into the picture two-and-a-half years ago. I’d been sent to her New York hotel suite to do an American magazine cover story that was to proclaim her ‘The Sexiest Woman Of The Year’ and, on that count, the self-confessed ‘super-ambitious’ girl from the South Bronx didn’t disappoint. Waltzing into the hotel lobby directly from an afternoon recording session for ‘On The 6’, Lopez showed up by herself — singing! — and as she caught my eye, she smiled and said: ‘Let’s go upstairs.’ Dressed in a tight cashmere sweater and even tighter lycra pants, I remember my first impression of her being: ‘My, her bottom is much smaller than it looks onscreen.
For the next four hours, in between frank and not-so-frank talk of her sex life (‘I lost my virginity at 17’; ‘No! I’m not dating Puff Daddy’) the budding bombshell proceeded to live up to her Sexiest Woman nomenclature by stretching out on her couch with a pillow squeezed firmly between her legs — ‘This is how I sleep,’ she helpfully explained —rising only occasionally to face me as she s-l-o-w-l-y stretched one leg and then the other to the tip of her nose. It was, um, quite an eyeful. Needless to say, I wasn’t the least bit surprised that within six months she was one of the biggest stars in the world.
Brantley Bardin, celebrity writer and Arena contributor
Jennifer came into rehearsals for Out Of Sight, and we did a couple of scenes — she was the girl! I knew that Jennifer was good, and I knew that we were doing the scenes right, but you never know whether the chemistry will work. Even a married couple can do a movie together and not get the chemistry right. I thought Jennifer was good when I was working with her, but watching her on the screen was something else. It was like: ‘I didn’t know she was doing that! She’s better than I thought.’ I love the love scene in the film. It was both sexy and... interesting.
George Clooney

There was one moment where they had already done all of her close-ups and they were shooting me. All of a sudden she began to weep. I was just sick that the camera was not on her. At the end of the scene her head dropped and she whispered to me: ‘I always do my best work oft camera.’
Jim Caviezel, co-star of Angel Eyes

You walk in. She doesn’t get up (you are in New York, this is her room). No, the heavenly Ms Lopez exercises her divine right and seizes total control by remaining seated — reclined, to be exact, barefoot and lounging on a cream sofa perfectly co­ordinated with her tan outfit and caramel skin. So how do you resolve this social dilemma? Do you —dare you — move in for the kiss?

To be granted a rare audience with the precious Jennifer Lopez is to be elected into a very exclusive club. On this particular summer afternoon approximately two-thirds of the world’s media had crammed into three floors of a Park Avenue hotel, bees buzzing around The Queen, and most of them would barely get within goosing distance. TV interviews had been cut from three to two minutes.
Most of my questions came in at a little under four, but luckily I had her to myself
As a subject for an interview J-Lo, or plain Jennifer Lopez as she was last year, operates with a straight bat. Question after question was dispatched with minimum fuss, nothing flash, no dangerous strokes. It wasn’t always thus. No more than three years ago Lopez enjoyed a reputation as a journalist’s dream, a regular quote machine. In one infamous Movieline cover story, the rising star happily dissed peers and rivals including Gwyneth Paltrow, Winona Ryder and Madonna. The party line on those past indiscretions is that she got burned, learned her lesson. Maybe. But personally, I don’t imagine she was ever that naive. I think that after years of struggle (this actress-singer-empire is hardly an overnight success story) Lopez craved column inches, and for a short time did and said whatever was necessary to get them. That time is gone and, in all likelihood, will never return.
Nowadays, all Jennifer Lopez wants is a little privacy, and a few more hours sleep. She does not care to be interesting anymore. She barely needs to wear a dress and the papers sigh in collective orgasm. The media comes to her now, just like I did.
By the way, she looked bakery-fresh. Clean, simple, elegant. very small. As for her remarkable rump it appeared to make for a comfortable seat, but I’d have to guess what it looked like in the flesh— as we said our goodbyes, she didn’t get up.
Colin Kennedy, Deputy Editor, Empire

With a romantic comedy, you want to develop some sort of rapport. I can’t imagine having to manufacture an attraction or likeability with somebody in a film like The Wedding Planner. I basically went to Las
Vegas and found Jennifer. We met, sat down and in five minutes it was obvious we were going to get along. She has a sense of humor. Doesn’t take herself too seriously. And obviously, she’s attractive. If you get along and you have a good start, that’s mainly what you need in a film like that. You know, it’s not hard to show that you like somebody like her.
Matthew McConaughey
she’s not a thin modelly type but she is very sexy, very exotically beautiful. And that’s why she appeals to absolutely everyone. I’ve known her for a while through Benny Medina, her manager, and she’s one of the most professional people I’ve ever worked with. I wish I could have six actresses like her. I asked where her diva reputation comes from and she said he had no idea. Hopefully, I’ll be doing two more films with her, but the problem is she’s so busy.
Elie Samaha, who produced the upcoming Jennifer Lopez movie, Angel Eyes

She can take care of herself, obviously But from what I learned, she’s a very nice, accessible, easygoing gal. I didn’t really see that tough side of her She’s a sweetie.
Vince Vaughn, co-star in The Cell

Two years ago this month, Jennifer Lopez was on the cover of Arena for the first time. As I waited to interview her in her Manhattan hotel, I was trying to square her reputation and achievements up to that point with the pop career she was about to embark on. She was still riding the success of Out Of Sight (which remains her best film by a country mile). She had already worked with Oliver Stone, Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Soderbergh. She had an on-off reputation as a demanding diva, but nobody was too fussed about that so long as she had a chance of blossoming into a charismatic, old-style movie star in the process. She had critics, directors and the discerning movie going public right where she needed them, and yet she was willing to put it all on hold just to release a pop record. What’s more, she was more than willing to undertake the kind of promotional tours of duty and endless PAs that nobody would have dared to ask Jennifer Lopez, actress, to do. Why? So she could become the biggest star in the world, of course.

When I met her later, alongside her now-public paramour Sean ‘Puffy’ Combs, they looked like they understood each other like no one else: together, out of the limelight, there was a low-key, almost familial ease about Puffy and Jennifer. Each, you sensed, found a rare mirror in the detached, but incredibly driven, pursuit of fame and adoration in the other. They may not be dating any more, but I don’t see that interrupting her career trajectory. She’s a talented actress, mesmerizing dancer and a kick-ass singer. She’s savvy’ and intelligent, hardworking and, yes, beautiful. But with Jennifer Lopez, the real art is in the ambition.

Return to “Jennifer Lopez”