Shrink Creator Vows No Spandex For J. Lo In Comic Flick

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:26 pm

Jennifer Lopez may be stepping into the superhero world with 'Shrink,' but don't expect to see her in tights or Wonder Woman Underoos.

'She's not going to get dressed up in spandex,' said 'Shrink' creator Rob Liefeld. 'She gets to look great in her designer clothes [and] at the same time be the center of a universe where everything around her is extraordinary.'

'Shrink' has been picked up by J. Lo's production company, Nuyorican. The film version of the online comic strip will star the pop diva as a psychiatrist who counsels costumed heroes and villains alike. Nuyorican is developing 'Shrink' alongside a handful of other properties.

'I have 'Carmen,' ' Lopez said recently, 'and I also have a project called the Hector Lavoe project, which is about a salsa singer. It's about New York and that kind of whole salsa era' (see 'J. Lo Making Modern Version Of 'Carmen' ').

Though 'Shrink' is likely to steer clear of salsa dancing, Liefeld believes it will definitely stand out amid the slew of more serious comic-inspired movies flooding theaters.

'The genre was getting more accepted with the 'X-Men' movie, [and] 'Spider-Man' blew everything up,' the veteran comic creator said (see ' 'Spider-Man' Fastest Film To Reach $200 Million'). 'Somebody needs to be there to take the piss out of them; that's what we're going to do.'

A somewhat controversial figure in the comic world, Liefeld is perhaps the best candidate to parody the art form that made him semi-famous. Liefeld first rose to prominence illustrating 'X-Men'-related titles for Marvel, and his style — emphasizing big guns and bigger muscles over background detail — divided fans.

A decade ago, Liefeld broke away from Marvel and, together with a small band of disgruntled creators who felt comic artists and writers should own the rights to the characters they create, formed the successful Image Comics.

The opinionated firebrand left Image in 1997, briefly returning to Marvel before being fired. Liefeld then formed Awesome Entertainment and released a comic called 'Fighting American' that was so similar to Marvel's 'Captain America' that he was sued.

There are also similarities between Liefeld's 'Shrink' series and another well-known media property — something he readily admits.

'I was watching 'The Sopranos' and just laughing, the whole idea that a mobster goes to see a psychotherapist,' Liefeld said. 'I had been kicking around a more serious idea. Many of the [heroes] I publish with my own company have dual identities. That's something that would land you on the couch real fast. I thought, 'What if the greatest good and the greatest evil both went and saw the same shrink?' It really just came from there.'

—Ryan J. Downey

For more on Jennifer Lopez, check out the MTV News Archive

Return to “Jennifer Lopez”