I Just Saw The Newlyweds

PrincessOfPeace

Postby PrincessOfPeace » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:27 pm

I saw it and Jessica was a total snob. I am disapointed. :( nick was funny though lol. Everytime Jessica would say something nick would make a comment it was so funny! :D

beftek

Postby beftek » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:19 pm

"C'mon, I know what it's like out there. The whole pop thing is not really huge right now. Nick and I need the extra push. Of course this is great for our records."--- Jessica Simpson in recent interview

OMG Jessica you are such an idiot!

beftek

Postby beftek » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:38 pm

**The last half of this article shows that overexposure might ruin her "career"****

Piggybacking on reality

By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY

Don't envy Jessica Simpson because she's young and pretty and is a multiplatinum-selling recording star. Envy her because Nick Lachey, her fellow pop singer and husband since October, always remembers to leave the toilet seat down after using the bathroom.

"Nick is amazing around the house," Simpson gushes. "He has done his own laundry and ironed his shirts since he was in third grade. Whereas I'm totally spoiled my mom used to make my bed, and I got used to staying in hotels where I could just leave my towels on the floor and know that a maid would bring fresh ones. So the usual male/female roles are reversed with us."

Fans will be able to see that reversal up close Tuesday night (10:30 ET/PT), when Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica premieres on MTV. The series arrives the same day as Simpson's new album, In This Skin, and three weeks before Lachey, a member of the boy band 98 Degrees, releases his self-titled solo debut. The show will intimately chronicle the couple's lives during their first year of marriage.

How intimately? According to Simpson, she and Lachey have been filmed by television crews and cameras installed in their home "pretty much every day, from when we wake up till we go to sleep." Only their bedroom and bathrooms are off limits, she says "unless something funny happens there that we could use."

Newlyweds might have been dismissed as a recipe for domestic disaster had its formula not already yielded the most successful family-based series of the new millennium: MTV's own The Osbournes. Simpson says her show will be different: "There won't be as many bleeps though it's hard never to say a cuss word. I've told Nick to tone it down."

But the basic premise driving The Osbournes that viewers enjoy watching noted personalities confront the same issues faced by the regular folks featured on other reality-based TV programs seems to have struck a chord with artists and network executives.

In addition to Newlyweds, the upcoming season includes two new sitcoms in which hip-hop stars play characters whose lives reflect their own sensibilities and concerns. In Eve, which makes its debut Sept. 15 on UPN, rapper Eve is cast as a single fashion designer who, she says, "feels the same way I do. I'm happy with my career, but everybody's looking for love."

Romeo!, which premieres Sept. 13 on Nickelodeon, co-stars performer/entrepreneur Master P and his son, 13-year-old rapper Romeo, as a single dad working in the music biz and his child, who harbors his own dreams of fame.

"We're bringing some real-life experience to the show," says Master P, also the series' co-creator and executive producer. Nickelodeon general manager Cyma Zarghami says that although Romeo and P differ from their characters, "the dynamic between them as father and son helps make the show special."

Other rappers with TV projects include Snoop Dogg, whose variety series Doggy Fizzle Televizzle premiered on MTV in June, and Bow Wow, who plans to play a boarding school student from the inner city in a sitcom being developed for the WB. "I'm really going to be playing myself, only with no music," Bow Wow says.

Pop stars have, of course, enjoyed a synergistic relationship with television for decades, dating back to the series that made stars of Ricky Nelson, The Monkees and the Partridge Family. Will Smith, who is co-executive producer of UPN's new All of Us, launched a successful movie career after parlaying his rap persona into the hit '90s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and country star Reba McEntire's TV vehicle, Reba, is now entering its third season as WB's top-rated comedy.

But the triumph of The Osbournes, coupled with the general popularity of reality TV shows, seems to have heralded a new willingness among celebs to reveal aspects of their private lives on the small screen. Lois Curren, executive vice president of series and movie development for MTV, says Simpson, Lachey and singer/actress Brandy, a former teen TV star whose pregnancy was documented by the network last year, are embracing a growing trend.

"Music television opened up this whole new dimension of accessibility, and the walls just keep getting torn down more and more," Curren says. "It's about making extraordinary people a little more ordinary, so viewers can almost reach out and touch them. Watching The Osbournes, they see that Ozzy has to take out the trash, and Sharon runs the vacuum cleaner before she gets made up and looks gorgeous. And Kelly and Jack fight with their parents but also love them. It's basic human emotion."

The chance to capture such emotion lured Lachey, who concedes he had some initial doubts about Newlyweds. "I'm a fairly private person, but this is a unique opportunity for Jessica and me to show people that while our careers may be different, at the end of the day, we're normal people."

Curren maintains that MTV is "sensitive to the privacy" of its famous subjects. "It's a collaborative effort, and we would never air anything that would make them uncomfortable. But knock wood we always seem to have been on the same page."

Indeed, Simpson says, "you don't really want to edit yourself. The moment when you think a fight's going to start, or you're going to do something stupid or embarrassing, is when you really want the cameras there. Because that's when you're going to get great TV and ratings."

Cultural critic Mark Crispin Miller isn't surprised that someone belonging to Simpson's generation, which came of age with proto-reality fare such as MTV's The Real World, would espouse this philosophy. "That show forged a widespread sensibility," Miller says. "Now kids live in a universe where they feel they are always on display, and that if people aren't paying attention to them, they don't really exist."

That feeling is compounded for young artists who are trying to establish themselves in a culture in which fame seems increasingly ephemeral, and sustaining it can require mastering multiple media. "If people aren't selling as many CDs as they used to for various reasons, they need to be more creative about how they get their names and their music out there," Blender's Craig Marks says.

Tom Calderone, executive vice president of music and talent development for MTV and MTV2, concurs. "With the amount of visual and sonic assault people get daily from television, radio and the Internet, it's getting tougher for everyone to get enough exposure. So you have to, as they said in Spinal Tap, go one louder. And if that means doing a reality show or a big weekend stunt on MTV, you do it."

Eve and Bow Wow both acknowledge that part of their inspiration for launching TV shows was the belief that, in Bow Wow's words, "you can't just rely on your music career, because you never know when everything can suddenly stop." Eve adds that hip-hop careers "aren't always long, so it's good to be able to branch out into other things."

Yet some observers worry that in their efforts not to fade in the public's eyes, these young stars may court overexposure. "There seems to be this operating notion that the more coverage you get, the better off you are," says former Spin editor Alan Light, whose new music magazine, Tracks, premieres in November. "But I think you can burn out any kind of interest or allure by being so omnipresent.

"Think of a band like Led Zeppelin. They were never on television or in newspapers. You couldn't see them on their album covers. And as a result, 30 years later, they still have this unassailable cool and mystique because they never blew that mystique. You couldn't imagine a model like that now."

Granted, some contemporary celebrities expose themselves with more discretion than others. "You're probably not going to see A-list stars with TV camera crews greeting them when they come out of the bathroom," Marks says.

Still, in a world where approachability is fast surpassing glamour as a showbiz virtue, and being on TV is seen as a more desirable and attainable goal than ever, the love affair between pop stars and reality TV hardly seems a mismatch.

"Stardom has become all about providing people with an idealizing mirror of themselves," Miller says. "It used to be that stars had something we admired and wished for. Now rock musicians are packaged as reflections of their audience, and TV celebrity is mostly about vicarious success, where you look at someone on the screen and say, 'I'm him' or 'She's me.' The media is imbued with fake populism."

Simpson, predictably, has a different perspective. "I have to give back what's been given to me," she says. "People would die to be in my shoes, so I feel this huge burden, or opportunity, to better someone else's life. I want to be an inspiration. I think that's what being a celebrity is about."

goshawty

Postby goshawty » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:44 pm

"C'mon, I know what it's like out there. The whole pop thing is not really huge right now. Nick and I need the extra push. Of course this is great for our records."--- Jessica Simpson in recent interview

BWAHAHAHAHA *dies* well, at least she's honest about it :rolleyes:

MegMeg112
Supreme Member

Postby MegMeg112 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:46 pm

I refuse to watch that show, cuz it looks stupid and i don't wanna support them by helping theoir ratings go up. It is obvious Jessica is a spoiled b****, and i really don't care to see their life! :rolleyes: sometimes reality tv is so dumb!

aprilbaby

Postby aprilbaby » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:48 pm

Honestly, I have no idea why nick married her. he looks like he hates her! I do want to see next weeks show where he's staring at the dancers like a sex fiend! That was so funny! He looks like a real freak, like an animal! He's a scorpio and I read that they'll marry someone who lets them do all the cheating they want and turn a blind eye. Jess is such an idiot, he's probably cheated on her a hundred times(at least) and she still wouldn't find out!

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:15 pm

:P i realize she's grown up never having to do any chores on her own...but wow, i wasn't expecting her to think she's totally incapable of doing things around the house....look like nick was constantly annoyed at her....

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:39 pm

the thing is with reality tv, u don't know how you'll be portrayed. I bet if i went on a show & acted as myself, i'd probably be portrayed as some ass b**** because that's the part that they'll show & leave all the nice clean cut stuff out. This is real TV, yeah but when u think about it, it's not real because ppl arent being shown really how they truly are. With a lot of footage, u can turn an extremely nice person into an a**hole with a bit of editing, cutting & pasting. I'm sure Jess isn't a complete spoiled brat, i've been in her shoes. I live in a house where i don't do chores, & being famous ur just like what the hell, we can afford why not just get a friggin maid to do it. It's obvious Nick is a stingy ass, but u kno that's him.

Personally, i thought the show is gonna suck but i'm still gonna give it a chance. I'm hoping somewhere along the line, this will help to lead Jessica into a more prosperous time in this business. I hope, :shrug:

Charlie_31

Postby Charlie_31 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:18 am

I agree with PreCiouSbAbY, they can edit a programme however they want!

I haven't seen Newlyweds yet because it doesn't start in the UK until September, so i'll watch it and see!

beftek

Postby beftek » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:19 pm

I went to school with Jessica and let me tell you what you see is what you get. Her mother did spoil her. It's not that hard to do chores, you know. It doesn't take like a college degree to master the art of picking up after your filthy self. Isn't cleanliness next to Godliness??? Shouldn't a church going person like Jessica know that??? Anyway, in the promos I see nick does always look disappointed and anoyed. . .

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:06 pm

of course betfek, that's what MTV wants u to think. I don't know what their essential aim is on how they want to portray them, but I guess MTV wants to portray them as "real" as possible or as assholish as possible. They'll show the moments Nick is mostly pissed off at Jess, & when Jess is being a complete idiot.

U do prove a point though, she did appear to like just sit there & not clean after herself. I thought the same, a girl with such purity, cleanliness comes next to Godliness. Who knows what really did happen, maybe MTV just wants to see her as complete brat so they wont even show the parts where she actually is cleaning. :unsure:

otto

Postby otto » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:24 am

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=7]
What A spoiled BRAT!!!! Jessica claims she is learning to put her towl back on the rack after her shower. This girl never learned to pick up after herslf or do her own laundry!!!! Her parents are partially to blame for this, but SHE should wake up to the REAL World! She payed someone to fold her clothes for 6 hours. I think Jessica should be sent to BOOT CAMP and learn about doing things for herself.
She gets away with all this because she is beautiful. She sings well too. I wouldn't mind dating her, but I could not live with that spoiled princess.

beftek

Postby beftek » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:09 pm

Unfortunatly, I see that b**** on every TV show. She was on "The View" and the panel was giving her a hard time about her being so sloppy. I think it was Joy that asked her if it bothered her that people think she's a sloppy spoiled brat. She gave the camera a snotty smile and said "no, I really don't care that's just the way I was raised." Plus she was like "how much does a maid charge an hour" and Starr Jones said like $20 and Jessica was horrified and said "that's pretty expensive" and I don't remember who said it but one of the ladies said "well they are doing a hard job. . . would you pick up other people's underwear off the floor for little money?" And Jessica wrinkled her nose and said "no!" Maybe it's that she's so dirty she's even disgusted to pick up after herself. No one pays HER enough to do this.

and as far as the MTV producers trying to make the show as “realâ€￾ as possible, that’s a cop out. The truth is some producers try to make it “realâ€￾ by making the characters unbearable and clownish and it comes off pretty fake. Most of the time real is boring that’s why there are professional actors and entertainers instead of regular folks. Let’s face it, Jessica and Nick are just a regular couple and the producers don’t want that sh**. They want blood!!!!

Oooh, catfight. . . I hope Nick finds that hooker with the heart of gold to make him happy because Jessica was a bad investment

WildOneBartender
Supreme Member

Postby WildOneBartender » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:17 am

bef if you see her on every tv show and you cant stand her like your say turn the channel or dont read stuff about her instead you sit there and your watch it. you have to have some care towards her if your on here and watching her shows. anybody that doesnt like her is gonna be drawn to the show flat out there gonna wanna see what its about regardless if they like her or not. i cant stand britney but i watch stuff shes on just cause its amusing.

Meow

Postby Meow » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:50 pm

Fans all over are just disturbed by the way she's been behaving on that television show. We thought we were the only ones who noticed Jessica's immaturity and spoiledness. She's turning a lot of her fans off. Check it out.

http://pub137.ezboard.com/frickymartintradingpagegossipwithmeow.showMessage?topicID=3230.topicI have to Rip on Jessica Simpson because:

MegMeg112
Supreme Member

Postby MegMeg112 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:10 pm

i know i can't believe her...she is freaking annoying. spoiled little b****. I even like Britney better now!! I'd rather see HER in concert! LoL.

Bubble_Yum
Supreme Member

Postby Bubble_Yum » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:32 am

I watched the first episode of Newlyweds last Wednesday and I thought it was hilarious the way MTV had edited it! I loved the way when she had dumped all those clothes in a pile it was playing like horror movie music or something and kept cutting between her face and the pile of clothes! It cracked me up. Then Nick moves all his stuff in and it's in the hall where her clothes had been earlier and she's freaking out cos he's made a mess. Hypocrite!!
And then when the maid had cleaned the laundry room and Jessica said, 'This is a moment,' then went to kiss Nick and they did it in slow mo like it was a big deal!
I can't wait to see next weeks when he's watching the dancers. But yeah she is a spoilt brat but I think it's hilarious to watch and more power to her for admitting she's a brat. But seriously I couldn't live with her and it seems Nick isn't enjoying it much either!

Crave
Ultra Member

Postby Crave » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:51 am

Did you guys hear the way she recorded "The Sweetest Skin" the 1st time? She sounded horrible and wasn't matching the mood of the song at all. And she cried when Columbia said she had to re-record it.

princessluvsjrt
Supreme Member

Postby princessluvsjrt » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:44 pm

i think she is dumb girl and i can't belive nick actully put up w/ her.

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:39 pm

yeah...i agree, after a few episodes-woah, Jess hunny...you're a moron!

MissVanessa

Postby MissVanessa » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:53 am

PreCiouSbAbY wrote: the thing is with reality tv, u don't know how you'll be portrayed. I bet if i went on a show & acted as myself, i'd probably be portrayed as some ass b**** because that's the part that they'll show & leave all the nice clean cut stuff out. This is real TV, yeah but when u think about it, it's not real because ppl arent being shown really how they truly are. With a lot of footage, u can turn an extremely nice person into an a**hole with a bit of editing, cutting & pasting. I'm sure Jess isn't a complete spoiled brat, i've been in her shoes. I live in a house where i don't do chores, & being famous ur just like what the hell, we can afford why not just get a friggin maid to do it. It's obvious Nick is a stingy ass, but u kno that's him.

Personally, i thought the show is gonna suck but i'm still gonna give it a chance. I'm hoping somewhere along the line, this will help to lead Jessica into a more prosperous time in this business. I hope, :shrug:

I disagree with you and your theory that MTV is trying to "make" her look like a dumb, spoiled, whiney chick. MTV can't make Jessica do and say the things she does. Even if MTV edits all the "smart" things she says, she still is dishing out more dumbass statements than smart, and doing things that are infact stupid than not.

For example... Let's say I went on a reality show, and "showed my ass" more often then I didn't. And sometimes I was nice, but for most of the time I was a b*tch. Which do you think would define me as my character? My nice side, or my b*tchy side? Do you think the editors would edit out all my b*tchiness just so I could seem like a nice girl, or do you think they'd show the side of me that I put forward the most?

My point is...editing or not, Jessica is still giving MTV a hell of alot of dumbass material for them to use for each show. If she was showing more of her intelligent side (LOL), and acting mature, and only said and did foolish, idiotic things every now and then, there's NO WAY a show could make her out to still me a moron, because they wouldn't have enough material to make that her character, episode after episode.

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:07 pm

I disagree with you and your theory that MTV is trying to "make" her look like a dumb, spoiled, whiney chick. MTV can't make Jessica do and say the things she does. Even if MTV edits all the "smart" things she says, she still is dishing out more dumbass statements than smart, and doing things that are infact stupid than not.

For example... Let's say I went on a reality show, and "showed my ass" more often then I didn't. And sometimes I was nice, but for most of the time I was a b*tch. Which do you think would define me as my character? My nice side, or my b*tchy side? Do you think the editors would edit out all my b*tchiness just so I could seem like a nice girl, or do you think they'd show the side of me that I put forward the most?

My point is...editing or not, Jessica is still giving MTV a hell of alot of dumbass material for them to use for each show. If she was showing more of her intelligent side (LOL), and acting mature, and only said and did foolish, idiotic things every now and then, there's NO WAY a show could make her out to still me a moron, because they wouldn't have enough material to make that her character, episode after episode.

that was my opinion after watching the 1st episode...let's just say we're a loud to change our minds. She is a dumbass, what else is there to say.

sblw69

Postby sblw69 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:28 am

:huh: OKAY, I just read in either Us or In Touch magazine that quoted Jessica as claiming that her and Nick are just exagerating their personalities to get viewers. YEAH RIGHT!! I watch it because it is FUNNY AS ALL HELL!!! she is who she is and if she is Blitzy then she should just deal with being Blitzy.

And is it just me or does Nick seem like he can't be trusted when it comes to other women. <_<

sblw69

Postby sblw69 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:00 pm

I couldn't agree with you more. She does look great. and that is probably ONE of the reasons why he did marry her LOL OH yeah and the fact that she was a virgin. He thought that he hit the jackpot. And then she started talking.
LOL I know, I'm not right! But I never was!!! :P

Return to “Jessica Simpson”