Is Jessica Simpson Really Dumb?

MegMeg112
Supreme Member

Postby MegMeg112 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:42 am

Is Jessica Simpson Really Dumb?
by Daniel R. Coleridge

You have too been watching MTV's Newlyweds. Don't front! With their careers as pop stars on shaky ground, hunky 98 Degrees dude Nick Lachey and "dumb blonde" Jessica Simpson signed on for a reality TV show about their marriage. Some grumps called this a desperate grab for publicity. Well, maybe so, but Newlyweds is the second-highest rated cable show after Sex and the City. And it's just been renewed by MTV for a second season. Joe Simpson — Jessica's dad, personal manager and executive producer — is one proud papa. Even if the show's portrayal of his sloppy, doofy, primadonna daughter isn't very flattering.

"What's happening here is Jessica knows she's on camera," he insists to TV Guide Online. "Since she was a little girl, people have been calling her a dumb blonde, [so] she begins to assume the role that everybody expects of her. That doesn't mean that's who she is. It's a part of her personality, but it's one that she's enhancing on the show. It's nothing that's not real, but she unintentionally exaggerates."

Uh huh. While clearly biased, Joe denies Jessica's TV antics are spoiling her image for fans. Instead, he generously compares her comedic talent to Lucille Ball's. He also thinks her imperfections are boosting her likeability (and album sales). "We did the show because everybody had seen Jessica as only a Barbie doll, because she does have beauty that separates her from the average person. She has a six octave range, so she also has a voice that not everybody [has]. So a lot of America didn't relate to her. We did this show so that people would see that, hey, she's just a normal kid."

Perhaps, but she sure is a pampered kid, accustomed to maid service and having her own way about things! Watching Nick scold Jessie for her slovenly ways is a guilty pleasure. "She'll never like cleaning," Joe admits. "Jessica always had someone else to do that, so she didn't have to. And she didn't go away to college — which is the first place kids begin to take responsibility — because she was on the road [singing]. Her marriage is her college experience." — Additional reporting by Rochell Thomas.

MooseMan
Advanced Member

Postby MooseMan » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:48 am

I think that Joe's comaprison of Jessica to Lucille Ball's commedic talents is not only very degrading but downright insulting. Ms. Ball is very talent and very business savy (She and her husband Desi Arnaz ran their production company - Desilu and they were responsible of the show's success). The only thing that Jessica Simpson is funny is when some one laughs at her saying the dumb and stupidest things she had said...NOW THAT'S FUNNY! :frog:

MegMeg112
Supreme Member

Postby MegMeg112 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:54 pm

i know, her whole family have their heads stuck up their @sses thinking Jessica is super popular and extremely famous and better than others, whoch pisses me off, cuz it ain't true

Wraith
Advanced Member

Postby Wraith » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:36 pm

I think Joe's a bit too biased here to make Jessica look better without looking like he's going out of his way to play the other parts he has in her life, like her manager, where good PR is, well, good PR. Someone else not so closely connected to her should bring this up. I think it'd actually be more credible than Joe doing it.

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:01 pm

& to point it out...Her father is executive producer on the show. So he has some control on the show. I agree, someone else has to comment on Jess, if she really is like that.

beftek

Postby beftek » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:16 pm

To Joe Simpson: Keep telling yourself that honey. . . dillude yourself in to thinking your daughter is some kind of secret genius, I refuse to live in a world where Jessica Simpson is considered a "normal kid." I think her fans are going to end up resenting her after this is all over.

Here is what I wrote in the other forum:

I hate that every time I turn on the TV the newlyweds are there to talk about Jessica's stupidity. When Oprah asked Jessica why Jessica's mom had to make her bed and pick up her crap off the floor Jessica said "It was her job." Her mom looked like she wanted to die. The whole time her mother and Nick looked embarrassed at Jessica's flakey comments. I went to school with Jessica and people ask if she's really a dumb blonde. I tell you what you see is what you get but I think she overdoes it to look cute and it's just annoying really. Jessica was not very good in her classes and teachers didn't take a likeing to her either. But of course all the boyz drooled over her and she was this airy girl that basked in their warm glow. Anyway, back to the show, Oprah seemed a little disgusted by Jessica and the way she apparantly treats her family and the hired help. She's worse than the Hilton sisters.
***End***

I don't think my dad would be proud of me if the whole world was calling me a flakey, self-indulgant b****. . .I can't relate to that! :shrug:

BabyBlue2578
Abstracts Royalty

Postby BabyBlue2578 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:38 pm

Why would she want to play up to the Dumb Blonde image. If anything, I'd be trying to refute it. And if I were blonde, I'd be offended.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that this girl is acting. If its a reality show, then hmmm, she should try being real. She's just a sloppy, spoiled moron, the way I see it and no editing could make that look better or worse. And that's pretty damn sad.

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:23 pm

Why wouldn't she? It's a clever way to get attention, do u know Newleyweds is one of the highest rated shows on MTV right now. Why did they sign for a 2nd season? If Jessica & Nick acted their 'real selves', the show would be boring. They were boring to begin with, but Jessica acting like a dumb spoiled girl makes it all the merrier. Ppl like watching celebrities make asses out of themselves. And why would her father let her daughter on a show to make an ass out of herself...because she'll get attention. She's having more stardom than she's ever had in her whole career. Yeah she's a bit dumb, but she still knows there are cameras are on, & I think Jess can easily make herself look like an idiot.

beftek

Postby beftek » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:03 pm

Wasn't Jessica suppose to be a Christian artist? So she says she was a virgin until marriage. . . does that make you a Christian? What about making her own mother a slave? Or treating her husband with disrespect? Or getting more worked up about purses and clothes than real issues? She should use her show for good not exploitation. . .

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:13 pm

Wasn't Jessica suppose to be a Christian artist? So she says she was a virgin until marriage. . . does that make you a Christian? What about making her own mother a slave? Or treating her husband with disrespect? Or getting more worked up about purses and clothes than real issues? She should use her show for good not exploitation. . .

are u trying to say she must portray herself as a nun? this is television, not the christian channel, it's mtv, not preacher corner. If Mtv gave them a contract to make a show, it wouldnt be a show 'for the good of the ppl' if u want to watch that...go watch Mr.Rogers. Making her own mother a slave? are u trying to critcize ppl who's mothers worked as housewives? Sorry but Nick treats her w/ disrespect back. She's human for Godsakes. I think you're getting worked up over nothing, & i read in 1 of your posts u went to school w/ her. You're probably a washed up 20-something who is jealous of Jessica, & can't deal w/ your own insecurites watching your former classmate live a life u can only imagine of, so u sit here & disdain everything she says & does. Sorry if u want to talk about lame & pathetic, look at yourself.

beftek

Postby beftek » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:23 pm

You're right i am jealous of the fact that she can get so much money for being a complete idiot. I wish I were that dumb.

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:01 pm

hey it's a way of living...just like yours is to sit here & try to make of everything of your ex-classmate's stupidity & the things she does. I hope u know, ur part of the reason she's doing as well as she is. If she's gotten u to notice, then she's not as dumb as u thought.

Return to “Jessica Simpson”