Jessica Simpson FHM Article

Crave
Ultra Member

Jessica Simpson FHM Article

Postby Crave » Fri Dec 29, 2000 11:28 pm

FHM Article
November, 2000

The road to musical success is a steep and tricky one, paved with danger and lined with skeletons. A lucky few prance along it with the nimbleness of the great god Pan. The rest, however, pay their dues at some school of hard knocks to toughen them up the climb. In the past, this education has been picked up by art colleges, from the grim slog of 'the street' and via the misery of poverty. From these diverse institutions have graduated much of the planet's finest musical talent, but to that list we must now add another academy: The Mickey Mouse Club

Two of the most famous alumni - Spears, B. and Aguilera, C. - are currently vacuuming up a good part of the nations spare cash between them. But such is the power of the mouse that can even make starts out of those it turned its back on. And the day Mickey rejected the then 13-year-old Jessica Simpson was the day her education began.

'If I had got in, I'd never have signed with a record label at 13,' claims Jessica, now 20. 'What not making the Mickey Mouse Club did for me was put me in voice lessons, put me in acting lessons, and gave me the determination to become a singer.' It was also an early lesson in ego management. 'The Mickey Mouse Club people told me the whole time, 'you're our number one choice,' and I walked around thinking, 'Yeah, I've got it.' I had this ego and then it was slammed in front of my face.'

A year after the Mickey debacle, Jessica sang 'Amazing Grace' at the religious camp run by her preacher daddy. Listening in the audience was a man about to launch a new gospel music label, and hallelujah, she had her first recording contract. When the label folded, Jessica jumped to Columbia Records and launched her first album, Sweet Kisses, which put her back up against her old rivals. 'When Britney and Christina came out, it was like The Mickey Mouse Club all over again,' she says. 'I had this huge fear, and, no, I am not as successful as them. I haven't sold eight million albums like Christina and I haven't sold 21 million albums like Britney. I cannot put that pressure on myself even though the industry tries to put it on me. Magazines say stuff like 'Jessica is coming in third.' I'm not as successful as them. I have to accept that, not be intimidated and say people are going to like me for me.'

Q. So was this photo shoot a deliberate bid to knock out your nicey-nicey, 'butter wouldn't melt' image?
J: It's not an image. That's me - it's just who I am. But I will wear sexy clothes. I'm not ashamed of my body, and I am not afraid of showing it. I just do it in a tasteful way. I just turned 20 and I want to show my body, and that's OK because God gave me my body and I am proud of it and I worked for it, dang it!

Q: How would you feel if the next time you took your car in for repairs the mechanic had these FHM pictures pinned on the wall?
J:I'd be flattered. All women want guys to think they're sexy, or else you are just weird. If you spend $200 on a dress, you want to look hot in it. And I definitely want heads to turn. But I don’t look at it like guys are going to hang it up on their walls and look at me every night. That to me is a little weird. I mean, I am not Pamela Anderson.

Q: You're on record saying that you love fried food. Do you work out like a demon?
J: Being on the go so much helps. the studio is a workout for me--my stomach gets sore every time I'm in there - but I do go to the gym every now and again. There is that pressure: People actually tell me 'You need to lose a bit of weight.' Or I'll go on the computer, like an idiot and look at some sites and people will be saying, 'I went to Jessica's concert and her stomach was hanging out her pants.' That's just to make them feel better about themselves. I know that, but still you can read it and think, 'God, I have to go to the gym.' I am a lot thicker than a lot of the skinny runway models, but I don't want to look anorexic. I want to have something to grab on to. Guys would rather have somebody with more body; girls who like to eat. I think that's sexy.

Q: You have said, 'Dont look at girls in magazines. They are airbrushed and everyone has cellulite.' But would you ban any magazine from airbrushing pictures of you?
J: Oh, gosh, no. I want to look as good as they possibly can make me. I know it sounds contradictory, but you don’t want to see yourself on the cover of a magazine and your stomach is hanging over. I was talking about self-esteem: Girls wish they could look like the girl on the cover of the magazine. And I'm saying I've seen some of these models in person and they don’t really look like that. Computers can do great things.

Q:There has been a great deal of speculation regarding Britney and breast enlargement. Would you ever have anything done?
J: If she did have a boob job, she was way too young. And anyway, all of the sudden her boobs aren't as big as they used to be. I think people gave her such a hard time about it she might have gone back to undo it or something. That's sad. Personally, I don't believe in it. I don't think you should get your nose or you boobs done - or your stomach tucked or cellulite taken out - just to walk down the street and make the guys go, 'wow!' that's wrong. God made your body the way its supposed to be.

Q:You grew up in Dallas. Were you ever recruited to be a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader?
J: No, I was a cheerleader at school, but I hated it because of all the girls. I have so many more guys friends than I do girl friends. I have 12 guy friends that are my best friends. Its always been guys more than girls. I felt intimidated around other girls especially in high school. I couldn't deal with all the petty girl stuff, all the jealousy and all the 'he likes her and he doesn't like me so I am going to spread a rumor about her' stuff. They just attack each other, it's crazy.

Q: You're portrayed as being sweet and innocent. What's the worst thing you've ever done?
J: I didn't do anything bad, and I never really got in trouble. I know that sounds like 'wow!' but I never got arrested and I never smashed up my dad's car. I got grounded for stupid stuff, I can't even remember what. Maybe getting in 15 minutes late or something.

Q: Is it true you were so nervous at the Mickey Mouse audition that you peed your pants?
J: I say that all the time, 'I'm so scared, I'm going to pee my pants,' but I don't literally pee in my pants. I was very nervous because everybody else had won Star Search, done commercials and been off-Broadway. And I sang in church. I mean, I didn't even have a head shot, I had a Polaroid. It was like I'd just walked into a room of advanced people and I was intermediate.
Q: Are you chummy with Britney and Christina?
J: Britney is a great friend of mine. We are very, very cool with each other. Christina and I talk, and I think she's a great person underneath the facade. She is very big right now; she definitely knows she has sold eight million records and I don’t really like that in people. I don’t think you should act like that. I don’t think you should block the hall. It's important to stay normal, but people lose their heads in this business. They lose who they are as people. I knew Christina before her stuff came out and she's a great girl, but BOOM! she hit so fast and some people just can't handle it. She is one of them. She has lost sight of herself, but she's young and it will pass. I hope it will anyway, because she is hurting herself.

Q: At 12 years old, you said that you wouldn't have sex until you were married. Do you think you'll be able to stick to that?
J: Definitely. Its about me sharing something with my husband that I've never shared with anybody before. I'm not saying he has to give me that, because he'll give me something he has never shared with me before. There are different things that people can offer, and with me, its my virginity and the innocence of that. It's a romantic thing. I believe in true love.

Q: You're dating Nick Lachey from 98*. How's he holding out?
J: I’m human and he is human. It's not that I'm not a sexual person and it's not that I don't want that. Hello! Doesn't everybody? It is a natural thing, but I have self control and so does he. Nick knew about my abstinence before we got together and it didn't change a thing. If anything, it made him fall in love with me even more. It's not causing problems at all. Innocence is sexy. If I do get married early, it wont be because I am thinking, 'I'm going to explode if I don't have sex soon.'

Q: So what do you two do when you get together?
J: We don’t get to see each other very much, so when we do, we don’t take a second of it for granted. It is beautiful. The sexiest way he sees me is with my hair pulled up, wearing one of his jerseys and laying down on the couch watching a football game. That has always been his thing. Or me in a big sweatshirt. I love that. One of my favorite parts about out relationship is that we can just lay on the couch together and I can wear no makeup.

Q: FHM has a big lingerie issue next month. What kind of stuff do you go for?
J: My bra and underwear have to match. I love that. I have lots of matching sets. When a girl wears pretty things underneath, she just feels better.
Q: Has anyone ever bought you sexy lingerie as a present?
J: My mom will buy me cute pajamas, but Nick never has, because if I wear lingerie for him, we might get into trouble.

Q: Do you get lots of marriage proposals in your fan mail?
J: All the time. It's funny because all through high school, some guys wouldn't date me. They'd say, 'I'll come back to you when I want to get married' I was always the girl everybody wanted to marry for some reason. I was like 'Why cant you just date me?' Well, probably cause I wouldn't give them what they wanted.

Q: Have you encountered any fans with less innocent intent?
J: Yeah. Not too long ago, I had this stalker guy who somehow got into my hotel room and he got some of my phone numbers and called people. It was really weird. When I heard about it, I got chill bumps. Very freaky stuff can happen. Always dead-bolt your door, let's put it that way. You never know who could get a key to your room and watch you sleep. It's scary.

Q: You're 20. Do you have a fake ID?
J: No.

Q: Do you ever have a few beers or a glass of wine after a show?
J: No, I don’t drink at all. I've never tasted beer; I've never tasted any of it. I have a glass of champagne, but it's nothing I do regularly. My mom grew up in an alcoholic home, so I've seen the destruction and know that it's hereditary. I don’t even want to try it because what if I do it, and get drunk and love it.

Q: Do you get loads of people trying to hit on you?
J: Yeah, but I am like, 'Come on! I don’t give out my number. If you really want to pursue me, you'll have to find a different way of saying, 'Can I have your phone number?''

Q: What's the worst pick up line anyone's ever tried on you?
'You are the most beautiful girl I've ever seen in my life.' I hate that. No, I'm not! There are plenty of women in the world who are more beautiful than I am. Guys just say that all the time because they know it makes a woman feel good. They should only say it if they mean it, not to try to get me in bed. It's low, and it's a lie. I say, 'well, you're the most handsome man I have ever seen in my life.' And then he'll usually laugh and walk away feeling stupid.

Q: What's the worst rumor you've heard about yourself?
J: That I've had a boob job. People say that all the time. And it's like, hey, just because a girl is bigger breasted, she has to have had a boob job? Could she not just have that naturally? I am blessed with that. I mean, in eighth grade, my boobs were bigger than all my other friends. I used to tape 'em down, I was so afraid to show 'em. But now I feel like they just make my outfit look better. They are like an accessory or something. They are definitely there and they have been since I was 12 years old. It makes me mad when I read things like that because I’m like 'Wait a second, OK, that girl had a boob job but I didn't' Hers are the ones that are hard and don’t move around. Mine are, you know, they are definitely real, you can't hide that.
from FHM magazine

kittie100
Ultra Member

Postby kittie100 » Sat Dec 30, 2000 2:47 pm

Thanks for the article. I really like Jessica seems very down-to-earth and real. But who cares if she said that about CHristina? it's not like she attacked her or anything. she's just being honest and a lot of people in showbiz has said sh*t about Christina that is faarrrr worse than what Jess said. i appreciate her honesty and agree with everything she said in her interview.

StorieTella
Supreme Member

Postby StorieTella » Sat Dec 30, 2000 5:56 pm

I have nothing against her, but she does seem contradictory and harbors jealousy…not that she needs too, but she does.

She starts off by saying that she doesn't know if Britney had a boob job, then she turns around and makes the statement about her boobs looking bigger than before. After that, she then states that Britney is 'a good friend of' hers?! First of all if she was a good friend, you would probably know if she had a boob job, so that 'I don't know if she did' wouldn't have been a statement. Second of all, why did she had to even imply that her breasts are bigger in order to fuel the rumor! Doesn't sound like a good friend to me.

I'm also not with the d**k tease thing, so that discredits her abstinence plea…I'm sorry. I'm just not with that. If you say I can't have anything to eat, don't wave a T-bone in my face. I thought that was foul. She makes several references about showing her body and being proud, and I definitely agree with that. Just don't do it and claim that you plan to remain a virgin then turn around and say that a 'man loves something to hold on to.' She sort of 'rubbed me the wrong way' and seems like a bitter young lady. The only thing she was truthful about was her beef with Christina. Everything else she said is null and void.

kittie100
Ultra Member

Postby kittie100 » Sat Dec 30, 2000 7:21 pm

Actually, what i meant about her honesty and agreeing with her, i was only talking about the Christina Aguilera reference and the other stuff i skimmed.
i didn't read the WHOLE interivew, word-for-word. Just skimmed through it. but i'm gonna do that now.

MARK
Abstracts Immortal

Postby MARK » Sat Dec 30, 2000 11:52 pm

I THINK SHE IS JEALOUS! FROM HER POINT OF VIEW I UNDERSTAND HER JEALOUSY! SHE WAS BEHIND BRIT AND CHRISTINA BACK IN THE DAY AND SHE STILL IS!

SHE DID DISS CHRISTINA BUT FROM OTHER THINGS I HAVE READ THAT DISS MAY VERY WELL BE ACURATE!

THAT BRITNEY COMMENT WAS A LITTLE UNCALLED FOR! I DONT BELIEVE SHE HAD A BOOB JOB AND THEN HAD THEM TAKEN OUT!

krystel
Ultra Member

Postby krystel » Mon Jan 01, 2001 2:00 am

anyone who thinks brit had a boob job just sounds ignorant. When did she find the time to do it?
was that even legal for someone her age at the time? And why would a person who wears sexy clothes because they are proud of their body go get a boob job because the are insecure? it dosen't add up.
I don't know if she actually said those exact words because if she was friends with brit then they aren't anymore.

Rashedah
Supreme Member

Postby Rashedah » Wed Jan 03, 2001 5:28 pm

I have nothing against you CRAVE but this article is Bullsh*t she will never throw herself in a lake with out a Life vest like that.

Paaalease this is getreal.comhttp://www.getreal.com
J: If she did have a boob job, she was way too young. And anyway, all of the sudden her boobs aren't as big as they used to be. I think people gave her such a hard time about it she might have gone back to undo it or something. That's sad. Personally, I don't believe in it. I don't think you should get your nose or you boobs done - or your stomach tucked or cellulite taken out - just to walk down the street and make the guys go, 'wow!' that's wrong. God made your body the way its supposed to be.

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Wed Jan 03, 2001 6:48 pm

The article is authentic... I read it and reported on it after reading it in FHM myself. She comments on it in her official site diary as well.

Rashedah
Supreme Member

Postby Rashedah » Thu Jan 04, 2001 2:44 pm

she talked like thet about Britney? what Month is that can someone post the cover? I have to read this myself. sorry Crave I read your post in disbelief thanks admin :)

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Thu Jan 04, 2001 2:49 pm

This was one of the pics:

abstracts.net/jessica-simpson/jessica-autograph9.htmlhttp://www.abstracts.net/jessica-simpson/j...autograph9.html

There's some discussion on this in earlier topics also.

ILCAAB
Supreme Member

Postby ILCAAB » Sat Jan 06, 2001 5:36 pm

i really dont respect or agree with what jessica said...it wasnt cool...if u have nothing nice to say dont say it at all...she doesnt know christina she is not a friend....so she should have keep her mouth shut....cause u have never heard chris say nething about jessica.....and as far as britney goes...britney never had implants...she uses inserts or pads....

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Tue Jan 09, 2001 2:21 am

If Christina or Britney dissed Jessica what would the comments be?

Pam

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 14, 2001 8:11 pm

Just like most of the people in here, I think she was speaking out of jelousy. Every time she said something she would praise herself(duh) but would always bash other people (including her 'very good freind' Britney)and sometimes even contradict herself.

Return to “Jessica Simpson”