Mariah Carey looks 'Sweet' in her next film

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:26 pm

By Kit Bowen, Hollywood.com Staff
HOLLYWOOD,  February  20, 2002 -- Mariah's back for more.

After her favorable reviews in the Sundance Film Festival favorite Wisegirls, pop diva Mariah Carey will reteam with one of the film's producers, Anthony Esposito, for her next acting job in the independent film Sweet Science.

By Kit Bowen, Hollywood.com Staff

HOLLYWOOD,  February  20, 2002 -- Mariah's back for more.

After her favorable reviews in the Sundance Film Festival favorite Wisegirls, pop diva Mariah Carey will reteam with one of the film's producers, Anthony Esposito, for her next acting job in the independent film Sweet Science.

Carey will play an ambitious boxing manager who hooks up with an unknown but talented female boxer to try to make a name for them both.

'I had such a great experience with Mariah Carey on Wisegirls that I wanted to make another film with her,' Esposito told Hollywood Reporter. 'Her performance in Wisegirls is outstanding, with reviews from Sundance praising her work. I feel (that) given the right role, the depth of Mariah's performance will make everyone take notice of her great acting ability.'

In Wisegirls, Carey stars alongside Mira Sorvino and Melora Walters as a streetwise-yet-kind-hearted waitress who works in a restaurant run by the mob. The film has been picked up by Lions Gate Films for U.S. distribution.

(Edited by Miss Moon at 12:30 am on Feb. 21, 2002)

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:28 pm

Mariah Carey returning in new movie
By JAM! Movies

After her humbling experience with the movie and soundtrack 'Glitter,' Mariah Carey is already launching her comeback, signing on to star in the indie feature 'Sweet Science.'

The Hollywood Reporter said the film, which follows Carey's well-received turn in the Sundance Festival selection 'Wisegirls,' casts Carey as a boxing manager who enlists an unknown female fighter to redeem both their careers.

'I had such a great experience with Mariah Carey on 'Wisegirls' that I wanted to make another film with her,' producer Anthony Esposito told The Hollywood Reporter.

'Wisegirls' was picked up by Lion's Gate at Sundance, and casts her alongside Mira Sorvino ('Mighty Aphrodite'). Carey plays a waitress who works in a mob-controlled restaurant.

The acting acclaim has been a quick reversal of fortune for Carey, who was bought out of her new deal with Virgin Records, following the failure of 'Glitter' and the singer's breakdown. Reports suggested Carey pocketed a figure in the tens of millions of dollars, and is now in talks with several labels about relaunching her recording career.

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:31 pm

Mariah Carey to Make Another Movie After 'Glitter'
February 20, 2002

HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) – Undaunted by audiences and critics' rejection of her big screen debut 'Glitter,' Mariah Carey will make another attempt at a movie career.

Having received some positive notices for her lead role in the Sundance Film Festival selection 'Wisegirls,' Carey will reunite with that movie's producer Anthony Esposito on another independently-financed drama called 'Sweet Science,' according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Carey will portray an ambitious boxing manager who aims for the top of the biz by enlisting an unknown female boxer. Scripted by Gary Goldman ('Total Recall'), Stan Seidel ('One Night at McCool's') and Rick Angres, 'Sweet Science' is angling to start shooting in the summer.

'I had such a great experience with Mariah Carey on 'Wisegirls' that I wanted to make another film with her,' Esposito explained. 'Her performance in 'Wisegirls' is outstanding, with reviews from Sundance praising her work. I feel (that) given the right role, the depth of Mariah's performance will make everyone take notice of her great acting ability.'

Directed by David Anspaugh ('Hoosiers') and co-starring Mira Sorvino and Melora Walters, 'Wisegirls' centers on waitresses who work at a restaurant run by the mob. Lions Gate Films will release the picture later this year.

'Glitter' grossed $4.3 million in its entire run, and is one of the frontrunners for the not-so-coveted Razzie Awards.

Carey made headlines last month when she split up with her record label Virgin Records, reportedly receiving $28 million for the premature severance on top of a $21 million advance. She is now being courted by other labels, but has not made a decision on her new home yet.

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:32 pm

Wednesday, 20 February, 2002, 17:42 GMT
Carey punches back

Mariah Carey is to star as a boxing manager in her next film, according to reports.
The troubled singer has landed the role in drama Sweet Science, despite her debut movie Glitter being branded a flop, the Hollywood Reporter reports.

The industry paper says Carey, 31, clinched the role after receiving favourable reviews for her performance in Wisegirls, which had a special screening at the Sundance Film Festival in the United States last month.

In Sweet Science Carey will star as a determined boxing manager who drafts an unknown female boxer to make a name for the pair of them.

Producer Anthony Esposito told the Hollywood Reporter: 'Her performance in Wisegirls is outstanding with reviews from Sundance praising her work.

'I feel that given the right role, the depth of Mariah's performance will make everyone take notice of her great acting ability.'

Return to “Mariah Carey”