Timeline interview with Mariah

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Thu May 09, 2002 1:30 pm

Questions & Answers

Pre-Fame:
On your first real date...
I never really had an actual 'date' growing up. It was more like just hanging out with different people, if that makes sense.

When you took your drivers license test...
I failed the test like three times; a complete mess.

When you got your first job...
I was a waitress during the summer of sixth and seventh grade at a fair.

When you quit smoking...
Right before I signed my first record deal I realized that smoking was really bad for my voice and after I quit, I saw a huge difference in my range.

When you were in a music studio for the first time...
When I was about 14, I did some demos for a few people as a session singer.

When you got a job as a backup singer...
When I was in 8th grade.

When you moved away from home...
Right after high school, but I had basically been living away from home, working on demos for a while before that.

When you showed your mom the house you bought her...
I think it was November 1995. But I don't know the exact date.

When you realized you were rich...
It still doesn't seem real to me.

When you realized that you had many fans that looked up to you and were very much in love with you...
Doing in-store signings, actually meeting the fans, doing concerts around the world, getting fanbooks. All of those things helped me feel closer to my fans.

If you visited your high school reunion...
The homecoming special was a lot of fun. Some classic moments for me, that was my version of a high school reunion.

If you had to define one moment that made you realize that you had become a superstar, what moment would that be?
The Billboard Awards in 1999 or the Artist of the Millennium award in 1999. Those moments were so gratifying to me because I had worked so hard and never really had gotten the chance to reflect upon my accomplishments.

1990:
First time you heard your song on the radio...
I was in a car with a friend of mine and we were both screaming and calling people on the phone. Definitely a memorable moment.

When you first saw your album in a record store...
Everything was happening so fast at that time. I don't remember the first time!

Singing America The Beautiful at the NBA basketball finals...
I was totally nervous. It was a pretty amazing feeling after I finished, I didn't realize what a big deal it was because I know nothing about sports but I had no idea so many people would see it. Looking back I guess I had a lot of nerves, nobody knew who I was. I only owned the one black dress and it was my first time on t.v.

Vision of Love hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 list...
I didn't understand the whole chart thing at that moment but I still freaked out to see my song at #1.

First time you go abroad to do promotion...
I hated traveling at first. I was totally jet lagged and got really sick.

1991:
Wins two Grammy's for the Best New Artist and Best Pop Vocal Performance...
So nervous during the performance and acceptance that I couldn't really enjoy the moment!

Emotions hits #1 as the fifth #1 single in a row...
Totally ecstatic but again everything was happening so fast it was hard to take it all in.

1992:
When you step on stage to tape MTV Unplugged concert...
Very, very nervous. Not sure what to expect at all.

1993:
When you got married...
Very surreal! I never thought I'd get married, especially at that point in my life.

After negative reviews on your first big concert, you blew critics away at a sold-out concert at The Centrum in Worcester, MA...
I was inspired by the negative reviews. They actually did me a favor. I really just wanted to sing and connect with the fans; let go and have a good time.

Music Box tour ends at Madison Square Garden...
I felt more nervous performing in NY than anywhere because it's my home town.

1994:
When you realized Camp Mariah was to be formed and how much you were helping young kids...
Everytime I go up to the camp, I feel how special it is to be able to be involved in helping keep the camp going. It's one of my favorite things to go to the camp each year.

You perform at a charity event at St. John The Divine for the Fresh Air Fund..
The audience was very stiff because it was a fund raiser and most people were a little bit older and kind of quiet. I was really glad the kids from the Fresh Air Fund were there.

1995:
Your direct your first video, Fantasy...
The best part was the ODB section with the clown (the remix). I had so much fun doing that.

Fantasy debuts at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100...
I was incredibly happy of course! But at this point in my personal life, I was feeling very stifled.

Daydream was released and debuts at #1 a week later...
I'd worked very hard on this album and of course I felt an amazing sense of accomplishment.

1996:
One Sweet Day stays at #1 for the 16th week, a new record...
Everyone involved with my new career worked so hard for this and the song was very special for a lot of people so it was even more gratifying.

You step on stage in Tokyo for the first of three concerts on the Daydream tour...
I'll never forget the enormity of that place from my perspective on that stage, as I looked out for the first time. I love performing in Japan.

1997:
Butterfly hits stores. There is a special signing for the fans at Tower Records in NYC and the night ends at a release party at New York's Pier 54 Studios...
That was a really special day and night for me. Even though my personal life was changing dramatically, Butterfly was so close to my heart and I was really excited about the release.

Butterfly debuts at #1 in the USA. At this time, it's also #1 in Canada, Australia, Asia and #2 in Europe...
Since it was such a personal album and my favorite work so far, I was even more grateful than ever for its success.

1998:
You perform in Brisbane, Australia, your first visit and concert in Australia, as the first leg of your Australian Tour...
I loved being in Australia. The fans were great! I was only upset that I had to cancel one show because I caught a cold.

You take part in Diva's Live featuring Aretha Franklin...
I never knew how big this event would be. It was an honor to just stand there next to the Queen!!

You film the video for Sweetheart at a famous museum in Bilbao, Spain...
That was fun, a little frightening to be on top of that building, but I always love working with J.D.

You visit the Billboard Awards and Stevie Wonder hands you a special Hot 100 award...
Such a special moment for me to have one of my idols and one of the world's greatest artists present me with an award. I felt like it should be the other way around.

1999:
You film a small part in the movie The Bachelor...
It was fun and a learning experience but I had to fall down on that stage like ten times and it hurt!

You receive the Congressional Award in Washington for your charity work with Camp Mariah...
I felt so honored to receive that award that I actually couldn't believe it was happening.

You buy your first apartment in Tribeca, New York...
After living in hotels for so long, it felt good to be on my way to having something of my own.

You tape the Homecoming Special at your old high school...
Totally bizarre to be performing in my Jr. High gym. But a great sense of coming full circle.

First time you go to South American countries like Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela to promote...
I loved meeting my fans in South America. I can't wait to go back!

You win the award Artist of the Decade at the Billboard Music Awards...
I'll never forget that moment I felt such a sense of accomplishment and was so proud. I really felt like my fans had played a huge part in helping to make that happen for me.

2000:
You receive American Music Award for Outstanding Achievement and make the whole audience stand up for two children from the Make-A-Wish Foundation...
I was really happy to be able to share that moment with those two amazing girls.

You receive the World Music Awards for worlds Best Selling Female Artist of the Millennium...
That was beyond belief. The name of the award alone was totally overwhelming. I'm really proud of that achievement.

Rainbow Tour begins...
This was a really fun and creative time for me and a chance to do something unconventional (i.e. The Bianca moments)

Glitter starts production...
A very exciting time, yet very hectic, rushed, hectic and tiring.

2001:
You finally leave Columbia/Sony and sign with Virgin Records...
An intense time period. Working harder than ever.

Recording a T.V. show in England called Chums...
I never actually saw the show afterwards but it was fun doing it.

You perform Hero at the special Tribute To Heroes Concert...
I was very nervous because there had been so many rumors and so much drama about me in the press prior to this. But after the events of September 11th, I felt I needed to do my part and participate in this historic event.

You fly to Kosovo to entertain the USA troops with a show...
Something I'll never forget. I loved meeting the troops and performing for them.

2002:
Wisegirls debuts at the Sundance Film Festival and gets great reviews and a standing ovation...
Such a sense of accomplishment and validation. I really put a lot into making the character of Raychel my own and I felt so good that it was so well received at such a prestigious event with true film lovers.

You perform the National Anthem at the SuperBowl...
I was really proud to be there performing the National Anthem this year. It was one of my most memorable moments.

source: mariahcarey.com

Return to “Mariah Carey”