NEW LABEL, NEW ALBUM, NEW LIFE

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Wed May 15, 2002 6:07 pm

NEW LABEL, NEW ALBUM, NEW LIFE

After her latest movie and soundtrack, both entitled 'Glitter', flopped last year and she suffered what was described as an emotional and physical breakdown, many believed that Mariah Carey's career was over, but time is about to prove them wrong. In January, Carey got a $28 million payoff to leave EMI's Virgin Records, but last week she signed a $20 million deal for three albums with an option for a fourth with Universal Music Group's Island Def Jam which will give Carey her own label, distributed by Island and headed by Jerry Blair. The name of the label has not been announced yet but Blair said '[its] first focus will be [Carey's] album and then potentially signing other artists. It will be a great opportunity for Mariah to really ensure her legacy going forward.'
Back in 1996, Carey already started her own record label, 'Crave' even though her aim was not to release her own records but to run the label herself, under the auspices of Sony. A year later, and after discovering groups like Allure, 7 Mile or The League, the label was closed. Carey admits today that 'Crave - without going into too much detail - was not my company'.
Carey is already back in the studio recording a new album, due out by the end of this year. The album, which will feature tracks produced by Dj Quick, 7 Aurelius, Jermaine Dupri, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, David Foster and even a house song with David Morales, will be, as usual, full of collaborations with hip-hop artists such as Lil' Kim, Method Man, Irv Gotti - and more which have not been announced yet, and a duet with R&B band Jagged Edge produced by Jermaine Dupri. 'This album has a lot of [very introspective and personal] songs. But it also has celebratory, fun songs. It's my most personal album since Butterfly, which was also an intense turning point in my life.'

(Muziq magazine)

Return to “Mariah Carey”