Aaliyah's 'Damned' Good Box Office

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Mon Feb 25, 2002 5:25 pm

Aaliyah's 'Damned' Good Box Office
by Bridget Byrne
Feb 24, 2002, 12:55 PM PT

Aaliyah's vampire flick was queen of the box office this weekend--despite critics' efforts to drive a stake through its heart.

Although dubbed anemic and fangless by major reviewers, Queen of the Damned--the adaptation of Anne Rice's horror tale starring the late R&B singer as undead royalty and Stuart Townsend as the eternal bloodsucker/Goth rocker Lestat--had enough life to bring in an estimated $15.1 million in its opening weekend.

The film's first-place showing is being credited to Aaliyah fans--particularly the under-25 female set that made up more than a third of the audience--and the morbidly curious drawn to the singer's final role. The solid showing apparently vindicated Warners execs, who were rumored to have wanted to send Queen straight to video but ultimately reconsidered (the studio has denied such reports).

The R-rated release averaged $6,035 at 2,511 screens and sucked the strength from last week's number one, Denzel Washington's anti-HMO rampage drama John Q, which dropped to second place with $12.5 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Kevin Costner's romantic ghost thriller Dragonfly barely scared up an audience. The PG-13 rated Universal release opened in third place with just $10.4 million and a $4,148 screen average at 2,507 screens.

Meanwhile, fans have apparently had their fill of Britney Spears' gal-pal movie Crossroads, which dropped 51 percent from second to fifth place, earning just $7.1 million in its second week.

However, interest in Oscar-nominated movies remained strong.

The real-life military drama Black Hawk Down earned another $3.7 million to bring its nine-week gross to $101.4 million, making it the 19th film released in 2001 to pass the magic $100 million mark. The film finished in 11th place for the weekend.

The Lord of the Rings remained in 12th place for a second week with $3.5 million, bringing its 10-week tally $283.2 million.

Hot Oscar contender A Beautiful Mind, starring acting nominees Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly, dropped from six to seventh but earned another $5.2 million. So far the Universal biopic has grossed $132.6 million in 10 weeks of release.

With the Olympics heading into the home stretch and a slew of poorly reviewed flicks flooding movie houses, the multiplexes experienced a down weekend. Overall, the top 12 films grossed an estimated $85.5 million, down 20 percent from last week, but up 14 percent from the same weekend last year.

Here is how the top 10 shaped up, according to box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations (final figures will be available Monday):

1. Queen of the Damned, $15.1 million
2. John Q, $12.5 million
3. Dragonfly, $10.4 million
4. Return to Neverland, $9 million
5. Crossroads, $7.1 million
6. Big Fat Liar, $6.7 million
7. A Beautiful Mind, $5.2 million
8. Hart's War, $4.5 million
9. Super Troopers, $3.9 million
10. Collateral Damage, $3.7 million

source: eonline.com

ADRIANA
Advanced Member

Postby ADRIANA » Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:19 pm

I'm glad Aaliyah's film has gone to the number one position. Obviously, the film has been more successful than it would have been because of her death, but having seen clips of the film, she looks pretty damn good in it. You can tell she would have been a really versatile actress.

It's all so sad. I miss her a lot. I too was looking forward to her in The Matrix. Does anyone know who is taking her place? But well done to all those that have made the movie no.1. It's a wonderful last tribute to a wonderful artist.

x x x

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:11 pm

I think it is Italian former model now actress Monica Bellucci who stands for Aaliyah's role. I don't know if you know her but I must say that she is absolutely gorgeous and sensual, she is currently in theaters in France in a comedy in which (against all odds I must admit) she is side-splitting. As for Aaliyah's I heard somewhere that R.Kelly and Timbaland were preparing a tribute album, Is it true?

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:41 pm

Yes it's true, there is a post in here about it.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:23 pm

I have just watched MTV's Late Lick show and a woman sent a letter asking why there is no tribute song to her (she said RKelly, Timbaland, JayZ, J.Jackson, Missy...should do something) but Trevor's answer did not mention any tribute material in the making. since he always knows about everything I don't believe they are preparing anything.
I don't know if you have seen her last video 'Rock the boat' if you haven't just let me tell u she's stunning: she dances on the beach with beautiful outfit, then on the boat dressed in white and moving her hips like she knew how, and u can even see her like a mermaid in the water, she's absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Return to “Aaliyah”