Josh Hartnett Visits 'late Night' 3/30 Transcript

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:26 am

>> Conan: All right, everybody. We're back. It's all good. The vigodal eclipse has ended. You know my first guest, of course, from such films as "black hawk down" and "pearl harbor." Starting april 7th, he can be seen starring in "lucky number slevin." Please welcome josh hartnett.

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Conan: How's it going?

>> Pretty well, man. How are you doing?

>> Conan: I'm doing good.

>> Good.

[ Cheers ]

>> Conan: Ladies, you're hurting my feelings now.

[ Laughter ]

>> Sorry, conan.

>> Conan: You've had that effect, yeah. Women are like, "oh, good."

[ Laughter ] First of all, I want to say something. Every time you've been here, you've had the sort of close-cropped, clean-cut look, and now it seems like -- is this for a role? Or -- you've got the longer hair now.

>> It's actually easier to grow out than it is to cut.

>> Conan: Right.

>> So I just grow it out between films, you know.

>> Conan: So this is sort of -- this is you wearing your hair the way you like to do it.

>> This is me wearing my hair the way that I like to do it. And you can tell how long that i haven't been working, basically.

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Right. So, anyone in the business can say, "oh, my god! He hit some hard times."

[ Laughter ] Now if you didn't work at all in -- let's say you stopped making films right now. People don't want that, but what if you did? Would you just go -- how long would it go? How long would your hair get?

[ Laughter ]

>> Well, you know, I bet it breaks off at about two feet.

>> Conan: Right, right. And it's really fun to, like, make it into a bun, I think.

[ Laughter ]

>> I liked -- what's his name? The andy serkis look-alike.

>> Conan: Oh, yeah, yeah. The gollum. That's a good look. Yeah, yeah. It's the saddest comb-over in mordor.

[ Laughter ] You know, yeah, 'cause people don't realize that when you work in film or in television, it's harder to, like, change your look all the time. I'm pretty much -- I don't want to look like this. This is --

[ Laughter ] This look was mandated by nbc. The computer thought of this. Left to my own devices, I'd have a buzz cut and a big handlebar mustache.

[ Laughter ]

>> I don't know. I think you look fantastic.

>> Conan: Welcome josh! How are you.

[ Laughter ]

>> I'd like it if you just twisted it --

>> Conan: Just twisted it, yeah, and had long, waxy strands. Excellent antidotes.

[ Laughter ] We haven't talked about this before. You've been on the show before, but we never talked about your last name. It's an irish name, hartnett.

>> Yeah, hartnett. Yeah, it's actually from the, kind of, southwest of ireland. And I don't know where -- where's your family from?

>> Conan: Oh, my god. Go to ireland and say, "where are the o'briens?"

[ Laughter ]

>> Do you know what area?

>> Conan: It's a mess. Yeah. You know, there's two sides of my family, so pretty much south, southeast ireland. But you know, it's funny because I'm 100% irish. My family's been here since, like, you know, 1520, but they've only been marrying other irish people.

[ Laughter ] Unimaginative. What about you?

>> Well, our family's, like, you know, five generations american, but, yeah, the irish side of my family's from the southwest area, like the dingle area.

>> Conan: Yeah. Hilarious name, by the way.

[ Laughter ]

>> Yeah, I know, I know. But I was down there and I actually found a hartnett laundromat, you know, and there's all sorts of --

>> Conan: You went back there. 'Cause that's what -- I move around and I just thought, "I want to take a photograph." I told someone, "I want to take a photograph. I hope a find a store that says like, 'o'brien pharmacy' or o'brien" -- in ten minutes, I had 900 photographs.

[ Laughter ] And my camera blew up. I just got tired of the whole thing, so I stopped, but it's everywhere.

>> Yeah. No, the o'briens, yeah. Absolutely, that's a popular name.

>> Conan: Now, let's talk about this movie, "lucky number" -- and I'm saying it correctly. It sounds like a typo, but it's "lucky number slevin."

>> It is.

>> Conan: And they got me a copy of the movie and it's really, it's fantastic. It's very unusual.

>> Yeah, yeah. I mean, it's kind of a -- it's not really any genre. It's kind of thriller, comedy, all sorts of different things mixed in. Jason smilovic, a friend of mine, wrote a really terrific draft, a really terrific script.

>> And another friend of mine, paul mcguigan directed it. So, it's just all friends working on it, except for, you know, morgan freeman and ben kingsley.

>> Conan: Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. Let's talk about this cast. You got bruce willis. You got morgan freeman. You got ben kingsley, lucy liu. I mean, it's really a terrific --

>> Unreal.

>> Conan: Yeah.

>> I mean, it came together in the best possible way. There's no way we could've made this movie better.

>> Conan: Now, you know, also, the movie does things I haven't -- some things I haven't seen before. They do some quirky things that are funny, nice touches. One is that you're character is, like, coming out of the shower in a towel and then, through a series of events, is in the towel. Can't put on the clothes for, like, the first 40 minutes of the movie. You're wandering around in a towel. A role --

[ Cheers ] A role, by the way, I would've made some changes if I was playing that role.

[ Laughter ] I would've said, "guys, cover me up. Put me in a beekeeper's outfit."

[ Laughter ]

>> You could've got the hair --

>> Conan: Just the hair, but this part would all be -- yeah, I would be -- if I had to do a scene like that, I would be doing crunches for nine weeks before I went out onto the set.

>> Yeah, you know, I didn't to -- I didn't -- the reason that I didn't was because I felt that, like, that character had to be kind of -- he couldn't be, I don't know, frightening in any way.

>> Conan: Right, right.

>> He couldn't be intimidating. He just had to be, kind of, you know, a schlub. A loser, as they call him throughout the movie.

>> Conan: Right, right, right. Well, now, okay, so this scene you're in a towel, I would think -- you're on the towel and it doesn't look there's anything really holding it together. You'd think some prankster's gonna try and, just as a joke -- I know that if I was wearing a towel around here, it would be five minutes before labama ripped it off.

[ Laughter ]

[ Applause ]

>> Luckily, labamba wasn't on the set that day.

>> Conan: Trust me, he tried to get there.

[ Laughter ] Security did everything.

>> I'm sorry, man. I'm sorry.

>> Conan: The answer is call just once -- but did anyone try and do that to you on the set?

>> Morgan freeman, many times.

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Okay.

>> He was on his way to winning the academy award and he thought, you know, why not?

>> Conan: Why not? Why not?

>> I've been everywhere except --

>> You know, pulling off people's towels.

>> Conan: Yeah, yeah. He can get away with it.

>> He can. He's dignified, even when he does that.

>> Conan: Yeah, yeah. We have clip here. What do we need to know for this clip?

>> This is a clip where, you know, a couple of really great actors come in and they're actually -- they play -- they're the boss' henchmen, basically. They come in and they take me off to see morgan freeman, but it's kind of just comedic.

>> Conan: Okay. Let's take a look at this clip from "lucky number slevin."

>> Boss want to see you.

>> Who?

>> The guy we work for.

>> I'm not the guy you're looking for. I don't live here.

>> Yeah, well, you look like the guy that lives here.

>> Then you don't know what the guy that lives here looks like.

>> What he means to say is, you look like you live here.

>> Yeah, that's what I mean to say.

>> Well, I look like I live here, but I don'T.

>> Tell it to the one-legged man, so we can bump it off down the road.

[ Laughter ]

>> I got to take you see the boss. You know why?

>> No.

>> Orders. Now, you do know what orders is, right?

>> Orders?

>> It's orders.

>> So I guess no one ever taught you not to use the word you're defining in a definition.

[ Laughter ]

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Conan: It sounds like it's very -- it's really well done. It's funny. Hey, thanks a lot for being here.

>> Absolutely.

>> Conan: Yeah, and just go crazy on the hair. Next time you're here, I want to see it trailing behind you, but I want people holding it when you walk out here.

>> Like a wedding train.

>> Conan:Yeah, exactly. Hey, josh, thanks a lot. Josh hartnett, everybody.

[ Cheers and applause ] "Lucky number slevin," opens in theaters next friday, april 7th. We'll be right back with paget brewster. Stick around.

chantoir
Supreme Member

Postby chantoir » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:44 pm

thanks for posting...i hope you also have transcripts from conan, regis and kelly, and trl... ;)

p.s. damn! it's been ages since i posted in abstracts!!! missed the old posters at gisele bundchen board... :(

Return to “Josh Hartnett”