Josh Hartnett - Conan O'Brien transcript

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:29 am

>> conan: All right, everybody, we are back. My first guest has starred in the blockbuster films 'black hawk down' and 'pearl harbor.' Starting friday, he can be seen in the new movie '40 days and 40 nights.' Please welcome josh hartnett.

[ Cheers and applause ] thanks for being here.

>> Of course, man. Thanks for having me.

>> Conan: It's very nice to have you back. I have to tell you something. I won't go on too long about this. Something happened to me this weekend that involves you. Absolute, swear to god, this is a true story. I have a little house in connecticut thai I go to on the weekends, and it's in farm country. It's on the top of a hill. No one, I don't think, even knows where I am. And I'm up there and i'm hanging out, and i hear a knock on my door. This is on sunday. I go to the door, five teenage girls at the door. And they're all excited and giggly, and I'm like, 'hello.'

[ Laughter ] and they're all like, 'hi, hee hee-hee, hi, hee-hee.' And I'm thinking like, 'man, I have arrived.' You know?

[ Laughter ] kids are walking through farm country to see me. So i step out onto the porch and I'm like, 'well, hello there, girls.' And they say, 'are you conan o'brien?' And I said, 'well, that's right.' And one of them said, 'do you know josh hartnett?'

[ Laughter ] I was like, 'what? I thought you were here to see me.' And they're like, 'what's he like?'

>> Oh, come on, man.

[ Laughter ]

>> conan: I was like, 'what do you mean josh hartnett ?' So i ended up saying, 'hey, next time i see him, I'll tell him that you said hi.'

>> Cool.

>> Conan: These kids walked, I think, like two miles to try and find my house just to see if i knew you, which makes me feel like crap, but --

[ laughter ]

>> i think they were using my name in order to --

>> conan: Yeah, thank you, buddy.

>> -- Get t there with you.

>> Conan: I appreciate that.

Didn't know. They thought i was ted koppel.

[ Laughter ] but the fans i know -- these women fans are very intense. How intense does it get? I mean, there are people that actuallyryry and steal articles of your clothing.

>> Actually, you know what? I had a girl, earlier on, before 'pearl harbor' hit or any of that kind of stuff happened, she tried to steal my hat and got away with it.

>> Conan: Maybe she was just a random thief.

[ Laughter ]

>> could be.

>> Conan: You might just get pickpocketed and be like, 'those fans.'

[ Laughter ] 'that rascal.'

>> This is the middle of a bunch of people, so she would have been a pretty daring thief.

>> Conan: Right, so she stole the hat and ran away and got away with it?

>> She took off, but some guy who was supposed to be watching out for me went and chased her down. I don't know what he did. He tackled her or something and took the hat back. I don't know what happened, but I got the hat back and I felt really bad about it.

>> Conan: Yeah, it's like a 14-year-old girl wants your hat.

>> She got away scott-free.

[ Laughter ]

>> conan: 'I just wanted a hat.'

>> Yeah, but i got my hat back and if she's out there somewhere, you can have it back. You deserve it more than i do.

>> Conan: Yeah, when she tries to approach you again, just wack, wack. Now, let's talk about this movie '40 days and 40 nights.' This is an interesting plot for a movie. I'm catholic and i know about lent. You're supposed to give up something at lent, and you play a guy who decides to give up sex.>> Sex, yes.

>> Conan: All right.

>> And all things sex-like, not just sex.

>> Conan: Right, anything that's mildly erotic.

>> Yes, anything that's mildly erotic having to do with the opposite sex and self-gratification and all that kind of stuff.

>> Conan: Right, don't get too specific. I know what you're talking about.

>> I won't. I won'T. I won'T.

[ Laughter ]

>> conan: What do you mean?

[ Laughter ] I don't understand?

[ Laughter ] okay, so you can't do anything. Now, first of all, i've got to tell you, there are a lot of guys, and i was one of them, who went without sex for 40 days, and it wasn't because we were on some bet.

[ Laughter ] it was called my college career, buddy.

[ Laughter ] later on, I'm telling people, like, 'it's because of a bet.' Crying.

[ Laughter ]

>> no, 40 days, not 4 years, is kind of --

[ audience ooh]

[ cheers and applause ] I'm sorry, man. You sa ' 'college career.'

>> Conan: Yeah, yeah. Yes, i was there for a long time. Yes, thank you. So, well, tell me about this. You give up, completely, everything to do with sex, and so all the comedy's revolving around women trying to get you to have sex with them.

>> Yeah, sort of, in a way. When they find out about the bet, they want the power back, like there's some sort of unbalanced force thing happening.

>> Conan: See, that's the logic flaw here with me. I don't think when girls hear, then we've got to have sex with him.'

[ Laughter ] I mean, if that worked, us guys would have figured that out a long time ago.

[ Laughter ]

>> this is a world of rob perez.

>> Conan: Right, he thought of this. Now, i want to say this delicately and appropriately. Apparently, you wear, in part of the film you wear a prosthetic device.

>> Yes.

[ Stuttering ]

>> conan: A penis. A prosthetic penis. Is that correct?>> That is crerect.

>> Conan: And where can i get one?

[ Laughter ] do they sell them at the gap?

[ Laughter ] what was this for? This was to simulate --

>> simulat y you know, a thing. An erection.

>> Conan: Yes, okay. I think you can say that. We can say medical terms, I think. These are medical terms.

>> Modern times. We can say that.

>> Conan: Yes, you can say that. This is a mature show and we're handling this in a mature, charlie rose kind of way, I think.

[ Laughter ] you wore a prosthetic device to create the elusion that you were in a erect state.

>> Yes, exactly. And I was supposed to be going a little bit crazy, and that would be, kind of, the physical --

>> conan: Yes, yes, yes. Let's stop creating this image.

[ Laughter ] so you're wearing this -- that's got to be weird when you strap this thi on for a scene and you're walking around.

>> Yeah, yeah.

>> Conan: Did you leave the set with it and just start walking down the street?

[ Laughter ]

>> well, i had it on for four days, so a lot of people came by.

>> Conan: Four days?

[ Laughter ] how did you sleep?

>> On my back.

[ Cheers and applause ]

[ laht

>> conan: Let's all settle down.

[ Cheers and applause ] listen, listen. Don't know how this got out of control, but this will be a mature interview.

>> Okay, okay.

>> Conan: If we have to do it five times.

>> From here on.

>> Conan: So you had to wear this thing for a couple of days, and did people react to you strangely?

>> The people walking by on the stetid. The people who didn't know what we were doing, they just thought we were shooting a movie, and they're like, 'ooh,' looking in, and suddenly they see this mass. It was an innate, kind of military state.

>> Conan: Yeah, yeah.

>> It was pretty funny, and it's funny to just walk around the set, go to the crafts-service table and have the grips there, who don't know what the scene's going to be, and they're just kind of like, 'whoa! What's that?'

>> Conan: You start punching elevator buttons with it.

[ Laught ] 'what do you want, man,' you know? A young guy. We have a clip here from the film. Anything we need to know to set this up, or does this pretty much do it? I think this is a woman in your office trying to -- who knows about this bet -- trying to entice you. Is that right?

Right, yeah. This igirl named monet mazur, an actress, who, in the film, she's one of the girls in the office who really wants me to lose the power. And here's what happens.

>> Conan: L l right. Here's a clip from '40 days and 40 nights.'

>> I have a tatoo of a butterfly.

>> Yes, you do.

>> And i want to get something on the other side, but i don't know what to get. Any suggestions?

>> I don't know.

>> Because if you're not doing anything later, you should come over and help me pick one out.

>> I can't, I mean --

>> well, okay. If you change your mind, give me a call.

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> conan: I think that's happened to us all.

>> Yeah, yeah. Same old thing.

>> Conan: '40 days and 40 nights' opens friday. Also, I have to just congratulate you. 'Black hawk down,' i think, was one of the best movies this year.

[ Cheers and applause ] so congratulations, really.

>> Thank you. Thank you very much.

>> Conan: Continued success and come visit us again. Josh hartnett, everybody

sue
Advanced Member

Postby sue » Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:17 pm

LoL, That was a good interview.I don't watched that show very much, but Conan is a pretty funny guy.

Return to “Josh Hartnett”