Posh luggage man detained

pinkGLAM
Ultra Member

Postby pinkGLAM » Sat Feb 17, 2001 5:13 am

A refuse collector who handled stolen goods belonging to singer Victoria Beckham has been sentenced to 15 months in a young offenders' institution.
Mark Oliver, 20, was found guilty of handling goods which included a lock of her son Brooklyn's hair and love messages from her husband, footballer David Beckham.

An earlier charge of stealing the items was dropped.

The suitcases containing £1,080 of Mrs Beckham's clothes as well as her personal items disappeared last April on a return flight to London from Miami.

Personal items

Mr Oliver had originally told Isleworth Crown Court, west London, that the clothes and personal belongings had been placed on the back of his rubbish truck in bin liners without him knowing, and that he did not realise their value.

He had contacted Mrs Beckham and later returned the personal items.

Judge John Crocker sentenced Mr Oliver, who is now unemployed, to 15 months on each of the charges, to run concurrently.

The judge said he would serve half the sentence, then be released on licence.

Detective Constable Andre Lucker of Heathrow CID said he was extremely pleased with the result.

He said outside court: 'I rang Jackie Adams, Victoria's mother, and she was very pleased on Victoria's behalf and will be faxing her with the results straight away.'

Judge Crocker told Mr Oliver that the length of the sentence had nothing to do with the fact that it was the Spice Girl's luggage.

'Thanks'

He said: 'You returned the identifiable pieces of property and no doubt enjoyed speaking to Victoria Beckham and receiving her thanks.

'I do not believe these bin liners landed on the back of your lorry by chance.

'You knowingly received, in my view, a substantial part of the luggage, some of which has been recovered, other bits have not.'

The judge added: 'Those that handle stolen goods must expect severe sentences and I am not sentencing you because of the person whose property you received, I am sentencing you as I would anyone else for this type of offence.'

The trial heard Mr Oliver was arrested following a series of telephone conversations with Mrs Beckham and her nail technician, after which he returned some of the singer property.

Police later searched his house and found designer labels belonging to the 26-year-old singer in his sister Sadie's wardrobe.

Mr Oliver told the court he believed that her possessions were dumped in two black bin liners in the back of his rubbish truck.

'Hounded'

Kim Hollis, prosecuting, told the court Oliver had tried to sell his story to newspapers after his conviction.

But James Walker, defending, said: 'Oliver denies he has ever attempted to sell his story.'

He said the rubbish collector, who lives with his family in Stanwell Village, Surrey, had been 'hounded' by the media since he was first charged with the offences last September.

Outside court, Mr Oliver's mother, who declined to give her name, told reporters: 'You've done enough damage as it is. That's all I want to say.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/newsid_1173000/1173784.stmhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertain...000/1173784.stm

Return to “Other Female Musicians”