I love music, specially good music

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

I love music, specially good music

Postby Miss Moon » Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:11 pm

:( I love music, specially good music and that can be anyone from The Gypsy Kings to Janis Joplin, Billie Holiday to Shakira, Lauryn Hill to Metallica, Loreena McKenneth to Depeche Mode, No Doubt to Patsy Cline, The Beatles to Missy E. It all depends on my mood and needs. It's all about talent, how true, raw and heartfelt it is.
Don't get me wrong, I like to let go and boogie
:dance: to any good beat songs from Destiny's Child, Britney Spears, J.Lo, etc. N'Sync just caught my attention with their new single 'Pop', now they are thinking, but that is just to for fun, to unwind and dance.
The talented can change your life, mood, inspire, encourage and relate true human feelings, like sadness, anger and happiness. I was getting worried, I mean there are a few talented in the market now out there like Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, Jill Scott, Cree Summer, Shakira standing in their truth and reminding us that those days (Bessie Smith, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaugh, Billie Holliday, Louis Armstrong, Janis Joplin, Stevie Nicks, etc...Just to name a few) are not gone. But boy! have they side track. After what seems to be a long time of music with no real substance and talent, there is a light in the dark. I am so thrilled and happy to see The Talented rising up and shining. Now I am very exited about what is to come after learning of Blu Cantrell, Lil' Mo, Nikka Costa, India.Arie and, one of my personal favorites, Alicia Keys. Now that is talent and here is a little introduction so you can get to know where this is all heading, so relax (good things come to those who wait, embrace and enjoy:

THE TALENTED

Alicia Keys

Beautiful

Original

Free Spirit/Old Soul

Powerful voice/writes her own music/plays her own instruments

Real

Uncompromising with her style and music

Playful but heartfelt

Charming...well, she is just everything you would want in an artist

Here is a quick bio so you can get familiarize your self with Alicia, since she will be around for a while:

(From MTV.com)

Alicia Keys’ artistic light is so bright it could illuminate a pitch-black room. A true musical prodigy whose multi-dimensional gifts emerged at age five, the beautiful Alicia will soon take modern R&B soul to a whole new level at the tender age of nineteen. Born aware of her old soul yet living in New York’s inner city amidst the dominance of Biggie and Jay Z, Alicia’s natural talents blossomed into a rare mix of hip-hop flavor and insightful, wise-beyond-her-years songwriting. Coupling this with the singer’s spine-tingling vocal power, positively stirring live performances and expertise as a classically trained pianist, Alicia Keys could be this generation’s Roberta Flack. Highly sought-after by record labels that held good, old-fashioned bidding wars in her honor, Alicia signed to Arista Records in 1998. There, in the spirit of a genius like D’Angelo or Prince, she continued the process of writing, producing and recording the debut she’d begun penning at age 14. In late 1999, Alicia followed Clive Davis to his new J Records where she continues to chart her arrival to the music world. Creations now rising out of the studio show signs of both a critical and commercial monster - a deep, melodic, soulful gem of an album that showcases Alicia in all her universal glory. Though most of the album- including the luminous “Fallin’� and the moving “Troubles� - was written and produced by Alicia Keys, the artist collaborates with Jermaine Dupri on “Girlfriend� and with Isaac Hayes on “Rock Wit U� from the Shaft soundtrack. Her debut album, yet untitled, is set for release on J Records in late April. Born and raised in Manhattan, the stunning, bi-racial Alicia Keys recognizes a number of influences including her ultra-supportive mother who told her “You can quit anything else but you can never give up on your piano lessons.� Alicia also sites a teacher at the Professional Performance Arts School in Manhattan who, while she was majoring in Choir, gave her valuable instruction on her voice. “This teacher spent so much time with me, she became the closest thing to vocal training I received,� Alicia recalls. At age 16, Alicia’s outstanding grades allowed her to finish high school early. “I was so deeply involved in music, I had already outgrown all the pressure of high school cliques and gossip.� Right out of high school, Columbia University accepted Alicia Keys and though she gave it a whirl, the desire to focus on music was the driving force over all else.

UPDATE:
Album release date changed!

Songs In A Minor [6/26]
(J Records)
released 06/26/2001

Track listings:

01. Piano & I
02. Girlfriend
03. How Come You Don't Call Me
04. Fallin' (This track is HOT! and so is the video, you can now see it on BET or MTV)
05. Troubles
06. Rock Wit U
07. Woman's Worth, A
08. Jane Doe
09. Goodbye
10. Life, The
11. Mr. Man
12. Why Do I Feel So Sad
13. Never Felt This Way
14. Butterflyz
15. Caged Bird

I just hope they keep on coming!!! :yell:

Right on :headbanger:

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:35 pm

Clive Davis on Alicia Keys (A soul star is born)

'Alicia Keys has a ton of talent,' says Jamie Foster Brown, editor and publisher of the entertainment magazine Sister 2 Sister. 'She can sing, she can write, she produces her own stuff, she's beautiful and she has charisma.

'That doesn't necessarily make you a star.'

Industry observers estimate that only 25 to 30 percent of acts on a label roster 'make it.' And by that, they may all mean something different: Is it steady but unremarkable record sales that merely sustain a living over the decades? Selling out concert venues but barely selling records? Becoming a one-hit wonder with enough cash to retire? Or going platinum again and again?

The past is littered with the carcasses of musical careers that couldn't survive outside the womb. For every surprise hit like neo-soul singer Jill Scott, there's a Kina, a powerhouse pop-rock singer who debuted on the DreamWorks label last year to much fanfare, only to evaporate within what seemed like minutes.

'Stars don't get manufactured,' says Davis, who initially signed Keys at his previous label, Arista, and then brought her over to his newly formed J Records late last year. 'You've got to very carefully pick and choose those whom you in effect showcase or put a spotlight on.'

So how does he decide?

'When you see something like that, you know. I am not trained. Janis Joplin had that impact on me. Patti Smith, when she auditioned for me many years ago in a rehearsal studio. Whitney Houston, when I saw her in her mother's act. Before any of them had an album or a record out, I knew. And Alicia's right up there with them.'

'I saw her perform and said, 'Okay, she's got a little soul to her,' ' recalls Robinson. 'Then she got down on her piano. I said, 'This is some next-level stuff here.' '-Jeff Robinson

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Thu Jun 14, 2001 11:52 am

Nikka Costa is kicking music but with her new single 'Like a feather', she reminds me of Janis Joplin. They aren't a like at all, but they both have that energy and passion on stage.

'Won't you take me too...funky town...':headbanger:

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:10 pm

Blu Cantrell is another lady that is extremely talented and knows what she is talking about. Her video for 'Hit 'em up style' is going up the list and her live performance on BET's '106 & Park' show was hot!

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Thu Jun 14, 2001 12:17 pm

Very unique and talented this Lil' Mo turns out to be. Most of her collaborations so far has being extremely impressive, but now with her new album and single 'Superwoman II' she is really shining her own star.

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Sun Jun 17, 2001 3:44 pm

Miss Moon, India.Arie is very talented too. There is also a new chick named Toya and her song is hot!!

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Mon Jun 18, 2001 1:36 pm

Yes, India Arie is an extremely talented young lady. I do mention her in my first post. We had been needing someone like her for a long time. She is a great role model for our youth and great inspiration for our elders. Not all good has been lost in an age of decit and corruption and she is a great example of that.

I haven't heard of Toya, what is they name of her single and what else can you tell us about her.

Thanks

Return to “Other Female Musicians”