Destiny's Fated for Court

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:17 pm

Destiny's Fated for Court
by Josh Grossberg
Feb 28, 2002, 4:10 PM PT

Two ex-members of Destiny's Child have a message to their former girl-group cohorts: Survive this.

LeToya Luckett and LaTavia Roberson, two of Destiny's original singers, filed a federal lawsuit claiming they were dissed in song by the bootylicious Beyoncé Knowles-fronted band.

In the lawsuit, filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Houston, the two ex-members say a lyric in Destiny's Grammy-winning monster hit 'Survivor' caused them irreparable harm. As a result, the duo launched the suit seeking unspecified damages (read: millions of dollars) for defamation and breach of contract for failing to adhere to the settlement between the band and the singers when they left the group. The two also named Destiny's label, Sony Music, in the suit.

Additionally, Luckett and Roberson want to keep 'Survivor' from ever being played on the radio or performed in concert again.

'We would like a restraining order and an injunction to prevent further comment that would violate the agreement and any further performance of that song,' Warren M. Fitzgerald, an attorney for Luckett and Roberson, tells the Houston Chronicle. 'It's a hit that shouldn't have been released.'

According to the suit, the offending line is: 'You thought I wouldn't sell/without you, sold 9 million.' Luckett and Roberson say the lyric alleges they 'attempted to sabotage the group, abandoned their duties as members of the group and voluntarily left the group.'

The pair also contend that the surviving members of the R&B trio made 'deliberate disparaging, defamatory factual misrepresentations' about the two ex-singers while doing publicity for the Survivor album in April 2001.

The bad blood between Roberson and Luckett and the other two original members of Destiny's Child, Knowles and Kelly Rowland, dates back to 1999, after the release of the group's prophetically titled second album, The Writing's on the Wall. Roberson and Luckett groused about their perceived second-class treatment. They eventually sued the band and manager, Matthew Knowles (who happens, not so coincidentally, to be the father of Beyoncé and guardian of Rowland), and were bounced from the group in 2000. (They were replaced by Michelle Williams and Farrah Franklin--Franklin departed soon thereafter, leaving the current lineup.)

They eventually settled out of court, with the stipulation that neither side make 'any public comment of a disparaging nature concerning one another,' according to the new complaint. In addition, Roberson and Luckett, who are still trying to jumpstart their own music careers, each received $850,000 to relinquish all future claims to the group.

While Sony refused to comment on the suit, citing pending litigation, Destiny's Child's lawyer, Tom Fulkerson, dismisses the allegations as 'ridiculous.'

'It's unfortunate that the plaintiffs have nothing better to do with their time than to dream up new lawsuits to file,' Fulkerson tells the Chronicle. 'We made a settlement agreement that we knew put things to bed, yet here we are again.'

Fulkerson also questions the timing of the lawsuit, coming as it did on the same day as the Grammy Awards--where coincidentally, Destiny's Child won Best R&B Performance by a Duo/Group with Vocals for 'Survivor.'

source: E!

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:43 pm

Apart from the jury, the judge and DC's lawyer in this case who does believe that this track isn't about the three former members? I think B and K did do their best to have them out and the reason why Michelle is doing so good with them is that she is either very withdrawn and easy going or craving for fame and money thus ready to undergo anything from the two wicthes she 'works' with.
By the way I heard they decided to split for a while and try a solo carreer? I hope none of them will be successfull it'll be fun to see their pride humiliated so that they will have a lesson of 'integrity'.

babygirl

Postby babygirl » Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:53 am

God, why doesn't Beyonce just quit the group and start a solo career...oh wait, she doesn't need to do that, she's already got a solo career. Well as good as anyway, it's like all DC is about is Beyonce, Beyonce, Beyonce! That's the one thing that has always annoyed me about DC...

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:57 am

Quote: from babygirl on 5:53 am on Mar. 22, 2002[br]God, why doesn't Beyonce just quit the group and start a solo career...oh wait, she doesn't need to do that, she's already got a solo career. Well as good as anyway, it's like all DC is about is Beyonce, Beyonce, Beyonce! That's the one thing that has always annoyed me about DC...

I thoroughly agree with you ;)

Return to “Other Female Musicians”