Sarah McLachlan's New Angel

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:28 pm

Sarah McLachlan's New Angel
by Marcus Errico
Apr 10, 2002, 12:15 PM PT

Forget mystery, Sarah McLachlan is building a family.

The purveyor of such easy-going, radio-friendly pop tunes as 'Building a Mystery,' 'Angel,' 'Adia' and 'I Will Remember You' gave birth to a baby girl Saturday, according to her official Website, http://www.sarahmclachlan.com.

It's the first child for McLachlan and her husband, Ashwin Sood.

Aside from the baby's name (India) and a status report ('both Sarah and her child are doing well'), the announcement was skimpy on details.

The Canadian songstress and Sood--otherwise known as the drummer for her band--married in 1997.

McLachlan, 34, has been largely out of commission since shuttering her hugely successful femme music fest, Lilith Fair, three years ago.

The Grammy-winning singer-songwriter launched Lilith in 1997 as a response to Lollapalooza, H.O.R.D.E. and other typically testosterone-charged tours. Lilith was open to any style of music--country, rock, R&B, folk, hip-hop--as long as said music was provided by a double-X chromosone-equipped performer. Jewel, Shawn Colvin, Suzanne Vega, the Dixie Chicks, Sheryl Crowe, the Indigo Girls and the Pretenders were among the recording artists to sign up for the venture during its three-summer run.

Lilith went out on top--McLachlan pulled the plug on the fest while ticket sales and interest remained strong, saying she needed time to refocus on her personal and professional priorities.

'For me, it's really the end of the era, too, because it's my last hurrah before I take a year off or five or something and write my next record and maybe start a family as well,' McLachlan said after the final Lilith performance in 1999.

Aside from a live album, Mirrorball, in 1999 and a collection of remixes in 2001, McLachlan hasn't released anything new since 1997's multiplatinum Surfacing. She has been writing songs, however, and--motherhood permitting--could have a new disc in stores later this year

source: E!

Return to “Other Female Musicians”