Suit Accuses Eminem of Stealing Tune

MakGonz

Postby MakGonz » Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:52 pm

Eminem and his record label have been sued in federal court by a French composer who claims the Grammy-winning rapper stole one of his tunes.

The copyright infringement lawsuit, filed Thursday in Manhattan, accuses Eminem and Interscope Records of lifting parts of 'Pulsion' - a jazz fusion work by Jacques Loussier - for the caustic rap song 'Kill You.' The suit, which names Loussier as plaintiff, seeks unspecified damages.

A call to Interscope Records was not immediately returned.

'Kill You' appears on Eminem's best-selling album 'The Marshall Mathers LP.' The song talks about killing women, with the lyrics, 'I'm ready to play, I got the machete from O.J.'

Loussier, 67, of Paris, gained fame by fusing classical music and jazz with his Play Bach Trio. He has released more than a dozen albums, selling six million copies worldwide, the suit said.

Froggie

Postby Froggie » Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:20 pm

I thought Dre produced that song. How come Em's getting sued?

Thanks for the news MakGonz.

:dance:

Edited to add: Isn't he a little late? The album came out in 2000.

(Edited by Froggie at 6:22 pm on Mar. 31, 2002)

MakGonz

Postby MakGonz » Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:25 pm

Probaly because he did the song, who knows? If you read the book 'Angry Blond' which says how he came up with a some of the songs ideas. Here's how he came up with the song 'Kill You'

What happened with 'Kill You' was I came off the European tour in October of '99 and I called Dre and I told him that I needed some new tracks. He just happened to be going through some when I called. I remember him sayin', I ain't really got no new tracks, but I'm trying to work on some new sh** today.' Meanwhile, there was a track playing in the background. I asked, 'What's that?' He responded, 'What's what? You mean this?' and he puts the phone to the speaker and it was the 'Kill You' beat. I told him, 'Send me that sh** .' He was really surprised. 'You want this? This is some little sh** we F*** in' with.' I said, 'Whatever, send me that. I ... will ... kill ... that ... track.' He sent it to me the next day and I wrote the song. I recorded it weeks later when I started recording the Marshall Mathers album. The first thing I came up with was the hook: 'You don't ... wanna F*** with Shady .... 'cause Shady ... will F*** in' kill you.' I wanted to start the album with that song because everyone in the ress was like ' What's he gonna rap about? He's not miserable anymore. He can't rap about being broke no more, he can't rhyme about his pain and his misery 'cause he's got money.' That's why I started it up with that line, 'They said I can't rap about being broke no more.' That right there gives you an idea of what the albums all about. The song is ridiculous. The whole hook is basically bashing women. Like, 'I'll kill you even if you're a F*** in girl.' I kill bitches, I kill anybody, then at the end of the song I say, 'I'm just kidding ladies you know I love you.' It's kind of like you could say whatever you want as long as you say you're joking at the end. Which is cool 'cause that's what I do. It's funny 'cause that's what I do. It's funny 'cause people think it's about my mother, all because of the first couple of lines. When I say 'When I was just a little baby boy' and when I say 'Oh now he's raping his own mother.' After that the reference just stop. The whole idea of this song was to say some of the most F*** ed-up sh** . Just to let people know that I'm back. That I didn't lose it. That I was compromising nothing and I didn't change. If anything ... I got worse.

Return to “Eminem”