Enrique Kkeps Climbing

latinmusiclover

Postby latinmusiclover » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:35 am

Enrique Iglesias sees more peaks to climb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ramiro Burr: Enrique Iglesias sees more peaks to climb

San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 02/22/2004 12:00 AM

Pop singer Enrique Iglesias is a chip off the old block.
Daddy Julio has sold kazillions of records and toured the world more times than anyone can count, and the old man says he's still got more miles to go.

In a span of eight years, Enrique Iglesias has sold more than 35 million records and scored a record 16 consecutive No. 1 hit singles on Billboard's Latin charts. Along the way, he's crossed over into the English-language pop market and earned two Grammys, three American Music Awards and eight Premio Lo Nuestro awards.

And now he's set to tour Australia for the first time, with a quick March 8 concert stop at Reliant Stadium for the Houston Rodeo.

So does he feel he's peaked?

"Think about it. I'm 27. When my dad was at the peak of his career, he must have been 40," Iglesias said. "When he hit like worldwide, including the U.S., I think it was '1100 Bel Air Place' (1984). The other day I was talking about that, and yeah, he had a lot of success, but I'm talking about like him being known on every corner of the world."

For the younger Iglesias, Australia is just another stop on the way to the top, a place yet to be defined.

"You know, I've never been there," he said. "There's still places that I want to visit. Actually, Australia is one of those places that I've always wanted to go to. Even not to sing, just to go visit.

"But I'm the kind of person (who believes) that there's always something you can do. It's just how far you want to take it and how great you are, and I think a lot of times because of fear you don't try new things, which I think is a mistake. Hopefully, I'll be able to just keep on pushing myself. I still believe that I have a lot of music in me that I want to disperse."

Iglesias' latest CD is "Seven," a 13-track English-language pop album that peaked at No. 31 on the Billboard 200 chart. The single "Addicted" landed at No. 1 in late December.

With the help of top producers Alex Ander and Rob Davis, Iglesias tackles rock-lite dance tunes "Not in Love," "The Way You Touch Me" and "You Rock Me." It's nothing spectacular, but there's enough juice to get the temperatures rising among Iglesias' fans.

"'The Way You Touch Me' was actually about trying to think what's a good song I could open up a show," Iglesias said.

Nonetheless, he shines brightest on the ballads. "Addicted" and "Wish You Were Here (With Me)" allow Iglesias to deliver his signature sound — low, moaning wails in songs that describe the pain and desperation along life's dark paths.

"For me, it's a record that is personal and honest, and I expressed exactly what I felt," he said. "I just think it's a good album.

"I worked with Gregg Alexander, who I always wanted to work with. He did New Radicals, remember? We knew each other and we had talked a bunch of times and I really like his songwriting, so I wanted to write music with him.

"He's completely different. His chord progressions are completely different from the chord progressions that I like, so it took some time in the beginning so we could have a happy medium that he liked and I like. But that's what was cool about it. We're just so different in musical style. But at the same time, we both grew up listening to the same music."

Like his father, Iglesias sees his career as a long road with no end.

"It's always a challenge to keep going on. You know what happens, you put out an album, you think it's your best album, then time goes by," he said. "No matter if it hits or it doesn't hit, whatever the hell. You feel like your life changes, especially when you write music, you think, 'I can write deeper stuff, I can write better stuff, I can be better musically,' which doesn't necessarily mean you are going to, but you feel that way.

"It really comes down to that. And I guess there are artists that just have a lot more ambition than other artists and you just have to keep on going and keep on going."

More music

In addition to a galaxy of country artists, the 2004 Houston Rodeo is featuring Bronco and Jennifer Peña on March 14.

The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo wraps up today with Jimmy Gonzalez and Mazz, Stampede and Chente Barrera in the KXTN tent, and Punto y Aparte on the Univision stage inside Freeman Coliseum.

The Tejano Music Awards are slated March 11 at Graham Central Station with the always-popular and free-admission TMA Fanfair scheduled March 12-14 at Market Square.

Return to “Enrique Iglesias”