"it's All About Songwriting"

suzieQ

Postby suzieQ » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:42 pm

I love this article. Finally Enrique is getting the respect he deserves. He one of few artists that write their own lyrics to their songs and I think that takes more talent than shaking your body does. I like the point the author makes(the same one I've been trying to make all along) about Ricky Martin in the end of the article...hehehe

Mumbai Press Conference: 'It's all about songwriting'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
source: Mid Day

''It's all about songwriting''
By: Narendra Kusnur
April 12, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[picture] http://web.mid-day.com/ArticleImages/images32/enruque1231c.jpghttp://web.mid-day.com/ArticleImages/image...nruque1231c.jpg
Business tycoon Vijay Mallya with Enrique Iglesias at the press conference Pic: Vijayanand Gupta

His mood was pretty playful. The moment pop icon Enrique Iglesias walked in to address the media at the ITC Grand Maratha Sheraton yesterday afternoon, he was ordered around by scores of photographers looking for the best angle. With a mischievous smile, he moved left and right, up and down, forwards and backwards.

Donned in grey trousers, a Hawaii 77 T-shirt outlining his superb physique and a trendy cap, he got into question-answering business after stunning the Nokia India representative by jokingly asking: “Hey, don't I get a free gift for doing this? Where’s my phone?â€￾

To the very obvious questions about dad Julio Iglesias, he said: “I’ve always admired his work ethic. He is really hard-working and has known how to distinguish the real from the fake. But I haven’t been so influenced by his music. My musical influences were Dire Straits, Police, Bruce Springsteen, U2, stuff like that.â€￾

Enrique didn’t speak much about tennis star Anna Kournikova, who’s come down to watch the show. The only thing he clarified was that she wouldn’t feature in his next video. But when asked questions related to his music, he spoke at length.

“I came into this field because I love music. I’ve grown up in an environment where I was surrounded by music, and it’s music that’s kept me going. It’s helped me save money on psychiatrist visits, as I felt happy to be with music,â€￾ he said.

The Enrique concert was presented by McDowell’s No 1 and produced by DNA Networks. The main purpose of his tour is to promote his latest album 7, which contains the songs Addicted, Not In Love, The Way You Touch Me and You Rock Me. “The album reflects the last two years of my life. Whenever artists' release new albums, they feel it is their best album. In the case of 7, maybe it’s a little more honest, maybe it contains songs I can sing 10 years later without feeling stupid,â€￾ he said.

Since he’d done four versions of Addicted and three versions of his earlier hit Hero, did he think there was any advantage in multiple versions? He said: “Since I sing in both English and Spanish, I take some of my favourite songs and make two versions. With multiple versions, one can always render the song in different ways, and express yourself with more variety.â€￾

For his next album, Enrique said he wouldn’t mind a bit of experimentation. Would it blend his sound with hip-hop? He replied: “Maybe not. I love hip-hop, but I don’t know whether I’m good at that. But yes, I will try out some new things. Change is always good.â€￾

Enrique said what inspired him most at shows was the audience. “You always know whether they know your songs if they sing along in a concert. And in front of an audience that knows your songs, there is so much adrenalin. That gives me the energy,â€￾ he said.

What’s his biggest musical belief? He said: “In the end, it’s all about the songwriting. Elaborate Production and videos are extra bonuses, but if your songs lack heart & soul, you’re going nowhere.â€￾ How true. Perhaps if Ricky Martin thought the same way, he'd still be around. He could learn a few things from the great Enrique.

Return to “Enrique Iglesias”