Bill O'Reilly Talks Tribute To Heroes CD

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Sat Apr 13, 2002 11:43 pm

First, a talking points memo. More bad news about the 9-11 charity situation. You may remember back on september 21st all the networks simultaneously broadcast a concert to benefit the 9-11 families and others who were directly affected by the terror attacks. Off that concert c.D.'S and cassettes went on sale released december 4th. Well, up until this week we hadn't heard anything about the money generated from the sale of those recordings. Here is the deal. The project essentially was a bomb with only about $ million expected to go to charity after expenses. Called 'the tribute to heroes C.D.' It sold more than 600,000 copies worldwide. Not a large number. After 'factor' producer began calling water music and sony interscope, things began moving in the united way told us they expect to receive the money shortly. They haven't received anything thus far. Main reason the project failed, in my opinion was lack of promotion which costs money. So why didn't the artist get out and publicize it? Good question. So we asked the artists. That was fun. Following people had no comment -- bruce springsteen, faith hill, john bon jovi, sting, dave mathews, tom petty, neil -- bill: Billy joel is ill, but he said he is concerned. Take six wants to wait until sony makes an official stalmt on the matter before they comment. Once again, just like the Hollywood community this little follow-through with the musicians. Talking points is amazed. Doing good is a long-term strategy. You can't do a project and let it go. You have to see it through to the end. If these pop stars really wanted to make a difference, they would have promoted the heck out of that recording on their own time and dime. The media loves these people. Getting attention is no problem. But, no, the project failed and it shouldn't have. There's an important untold story about fame in America. Power of celebrity. We will begin telling it, and in june there will be a o'reilly factor special on the subject. Remember, all who participated in the concert got repeat publicity for themselves, so they owe it to the families to help them as much as possible. No comments don't cut it. That's the memo. Now for an inside look at the story with us is lisa gardner, the reporter for 'u.S.A. Today' and from los angelesenata rafferty. Let's start with you, elysa. Am I wrong here?

>> Well, i can tell you that as a music reporter the music industry has come under such intense scrutiny recently that for them to behave in a deliberately or even a carelessly irresponsible manner would just be bad business i think. I mean, this is such a high-profile charity. It was such a horrible tragedy. I think it's too soon just yet to really lay any blame. I mean, i haven't seen any hard evidence. Bill: You are not going to sell any more records. The C.D. Was a bomb.

>> Oh, i don't know if i would say that it was a bomb. Bill: 660,000 after all of that publicity nationwide and all those artists.

>> It's a difficult year for record sales. Llll: The insane clown posse sold three times that much with their dopey album. Come on.

>> You could also pointed to a number of major artists. You could look at mariah carey whose album was a bomb for starters. Bill: It was terrible.

>> You like the insane clown posse album better. Bill: No, I'm saying this album for the families wasn't terrible.

>> Not at all. Bill: It had good material, but did you see one promotion approximate by any of these artists for it? Did you see one?

>> I didn't see an individual promotion, no. Bill: There weren't any. Renataaam i wrong?

>> You're not wrong, but i'll tell you, it's just bad business. I mean, a lot of these artists were exposed to the public or segments of the public for the very first time in that concert. This would have been a great opportunity to get their music in the hands of some people who normally hadn't heard them. And historically we know from research that cost-related marketing efforts when done appropriately and aggressively are tremendously beneficial and financially successful want just for the coronut foth charity. So -- bill: The wation is this -- and this is the no-spin deal, ok. You have two big record companies, warner and sony innerscope. They didn't want to put a lot of promotional money behind this because it comes off the top. All right? I can understand that. I mean, and basically recouping expenses and giving them to the rest of the family. Isn't it up to the artists here if they're sincere in trying to help these people to go out and sell this album?

>> You have a great point on that and, yeah, the art is should have been -- even if not for charitable reasons -- for charitableeaeasons, sure, we would have liked to see them go beyond just performing that night. Bill: Come on. Yeah. This is ridiculous.

>> They have missed an opportunity to, as i said, get their music into this hands of some people who wopt normally have it. Bill: You know this world better than I do. I was expecting just what we got. No comment, no comment. You know, tchonet want to come up against me. They don't want to explain themselves. They have a sense of entitlement. It doesn't mac any sense, all right, for these people if they're sincere -- now, i know that all of them are not sincere. I know there are some who don't care. They want to get their face in front of the nationwide audience. There are some good people. But all of them said we'll not step up. Does this surprise you?

>> I don't know if it's a matter of not stepping up. I think it's too early in the process at this point. I mean, the amounts made were just recently tabulated. The first checks were recently sent out. Bill: Yeah because we called and asked them to send it out. That's why they were sent out. I'm not asking about -- i think you misinterpreted. I don't want them to criticize the record cpapanies. All right? I agree with you. They're sending the money out now. That's fine with us. What about the promotion? What about that?

>> Well, a think a number of artists have spoken a great deal about september 11 and in doing so have mentioned their work and were very much involved in the concert. These are -- you have to remember, these are art is like people like sting and u2 and bruce springsteen. Their fans love them partially because they're sociall conscious.

>> I think there may be something else in play here too. Because these were artist that is represent a inform different recording companies. I'm wondering whether the artists were in essence discouraged from promoting the album because it might expose audiences to artists from other companies. Maybe there was that consideration in play. Bill: I have another one, but elysa just growned here. What are you thinking?

>> I don't mean to be pollyannish about the whole thing, but i doubt that again. This was a very high-profile event, a very high-profile --

>> why do you think it has sold so few copies? It was out in time for christmas. What happened?

>> Bill: Here is what i think it is. Number one, most of these performers -- and I hate to say it -- are selfish people. All right? They are not willing to put themselves out on the line unless there's a media payoff for them. There is an immediate pay i don't have in a telethon. They get their face on television. People say, oh, look at the good they're doing. To do work and go on 'the o'reilly factor,' to go on 'the view,' and 'imus,' and other programs to promote this project takes work and it also -- their p.R. People are saying don't be around so much, don't be so valuable. That -- your currency goes down if you are seen too much. You know that, elysa. You know that's the game they play.

>> I know that you have put out -- you know, you have solicited -- you have expressed interest in this, but do you think they have been actively solicited for this particular project? Bill: Guys like sting and springsteen and bono and all these guys can get on any program they want at any time and talk about anything they want.

>> This issue of celebrity advocasy, and i love that term. Bill, the first time i heard was a celebrity on your show. The term celebrity advocacy. Let's face it, we could probably sit here and name the celebrities whether it's in the recording industry or the movie industry who we know are true advocates on behalf of a charitable cause or some particular cause. And the rest of them are like the rest of the population. Bill: They're phonies

MooseMan
Advanced Member

Postby MooseMan » Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:52 am

I used to liked Bill O'Reilly, but now he's becoming more and more of a self-righteious pompus jerk, just like that other pompus jerk Rush Limbaugh. Both are unfunny, unwitty and total bitter. Hey Bill, why don't you asked your bosses Mr. Ailes and Rupert Murdoch to relieved your contract. Your Hollywood/Music Bashing is scaring all actors and actresses not to work for Fox. I rather listened to Imus than listen to you.

(Edited by MooseMan at 2:17 pm on April 14, 2002)

Return to “Enrique Iglesias”