No Love for Nirvana

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Fri Jun 29, 2001 4:04 pm

No Love for Nirvana
by Josh Grossberg
Jun 29, 2001, 10:30 AM PT

Who controls the song, controls Nirvana.

What sounds like a cheesy New Age mantra, is actually the bottom line of a legal brouhaha between Courtney Love and her late husband's bandmates over the legacy of the pioneering grunge band.

Love, the widowed wife of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain, has won an injunction against surviving bandmates Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic blocking them from releasing a song they recorded with Cobain before his suicide in 1994.

A King County, Washington, Superior Court judge ruled in favor of the Hole singer earlier this month, effectively preventing the Nirvana members from including the rare tune on a 45-track box set celebrating the 10-year anniversary of Nirvana's seminal album, Nevermind. Love's lawyers successfully argued that the compilation didn't need the song on it to be a success. The ruling was made June 11, but didn't come to light until this week.

'The fight is over control of Nirvana,' Warren Rheaume, an attorney representing Grohl and Novoselic, tells the Associated Press.

In court papers, Love says she was 'emotionally overwrought and distraught' when she agreed to form Nirvana L.L.C., a joint corporation with Grohl and Novoselic that would split any future profits from Nirvana equally among the three.

Love has now asked the court to dissolve the partnership.

So far, the key battle is over the Cobain-penned tune known to fans and bootleggers as 'On the Mountain' or (perhaps more aptly) 'You've Got No Right.' The song was performed by Nirvana only a few times in concert in late 1993 and never officially released on an album. Love's band Hole ended up covering the song several years later.

'It's a spectacular piece of music,' O. Yale Lewis, Love's attorney, tells the Associated Press. 'Probably one of the most important pieces of music to be released in years.'

Grohl and Novoselic wanted to include a version of the song, titled 'You Know You're Right,' on a Nirvana box set due out October 23.

The feud doesn't just boil down to freedom of expression and artistic enlightenment. It's about money. Lots of money.

Love's camp says with the addition of the unreleased material, the Heart-Shaped Box set would be more than just a retrospective of Nirvana's short, but brilliant career, selling upwards of 15 million copies worldwide. Without it, Love says the set might hit 3 million in sales.

Love's lawyer didn't expressly say why the singer sued to block the song, but given her obsession with artists' rights, it clear she no longer wants to serve the servants. She wants more control--and not just over Nirvana.

Two weeks ago, a Los Angeles judge allowed her lawsuit against Universal Music Group to move forward, despite tossing 11 of 15 claims the singer brought against the company, most notably, a claim attempting to bring 'free agency' to the music industry.

As for the Nirvana suit, it's not scheduled to go to trial until December 31, 2002, most likely meaning the box set will be released sans the song in contention.

Forget teen spirit, this smells like a nasty fight brewing.

LuckyViolet

Postby LuckyViolet » Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:27 pm

Wow...i never heard of this fight before. Very interesting...thank you so much for sharing :)

MoRtiCia13
Ultra Member

Postby MoRtiCia13 » Sun Feb 03, 2002 2:26 pm

courtney is a hole.
i got nothing but love 4 nirvana!
;)

Damn U Smell
Supreme Member

Postby Damn U Smell » Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:40 am

Oh I've heard about this before, I swear Courtney give it a rest, give the rights to Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, they have more say then her freaky ass.

Oh well...

On a lighter note... Morticia good play on words, as usual.

And thank you Miss Moon. :(

MoRtiCia13
Ultra Member

Postby MoRtiCia13 » Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:47 am

y thank u smelly.
i agree about just giving the damn sh** 2 the other members of nirvana...she's a money hungry ho if u ask me. maybe she'll get run over by a wild herd of crazy elephants some day!
o,but then once they took 1 look at her they might turn and run the other way!

:laugh:
;)

babygirl

Postby babygirl » Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:10 am

My mum reckons Courtney actually killed Kurt - she says being with someone like her would've been enough to kill anyone!

gutterpunk78

Postby gutterpunk78 » Sat Feb 09, 2002 12:52 am

Love is doing the right thing. I'm glad that she's fighting for what is hers. If Kurt left those songs to her, then she has the right to do whatever she pleases. If you guys want to reminise about the good ol' days of Nivana, then buy the albums. Ohterwise, it's not that serious. Calm down.

MoRtiCia13
Ultra Member

Postby MoRtiCia13 » Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:07 pm

she was married 2 him 4 a lousy 2 years punk...that doesn't entitle her 2 everything he ever did. she used him up,and killed him 2 get her fame. end of story.
:(

MoRtiCia13
Ultra Member

Postby MoRtiCia13 » Wed Feb 13, 2002 10:22 am

k...so if u have questions u need 2 watch 'kurt & courtney'...it's freaky 2 know what was going on in the weeks before his death...like hole-huney doing a lot of mayjor 'will talk'...and he was just about 2 divorce her and change his will 2 take her out of it...hmmm...:goldfish:y! they also have her threatening a sh** load of peeps over the phone and quite a few mysterious deaths that occured after his supposed 'suicide'...that makes me even sadder 2 think maybe he wasn't sad enough 2 kill himself,but his wifey had other plans in mind!
:splat:

Jack Daniels

Postby Jack Daniels » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:47 pm

imagine that.
killing someone you supposedly love.

MoRtiCia13
Ultra Member

Postby MoRtiCia13 » Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:00 am

she didn't love him.
she wanted what he could give her and then she threw him away.
only instead of just breaking up with him like most heartless bitches would do...she killed him so she could still inherit all his songs and $$$!
F*** courtney!

Jack Daniels

Postby Jack Daniels » Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:18 am

is that what you're gonna do with me after we get married? ha.

MoRtiCia13
Ultra Member

Postby MoRtiCia13 » Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:29 am

u
and
i
r
not
getting
married

Jack Daniels

Postby Jack Daniels » Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:38 pm

how do you know can you see into the future?

Return to “Other Male Musicians”