Snoop Dogg On Last Call

User avatar
admin
Supreme Member
Posts: 3162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby admin » Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:14 am

[ Cheers and applause ] and now we're gonna talk a little bit about his favorite pastime, and it isn't baseball. Let's have a discussion about the legalization -- the issue of the legalization of marijuana in this country and where you stand on it.

>> I stand very high.

[ Laughter ]

Carson: I know. But in the eyes of a lot of people, what they might know about you is just that you are recreational with it, but it is a very sort of serious issue. How serious are you about it potentially becoming legal?

>> I feel like this. I mean, I wasn't brought up in the era of prohibition and the alcohol and all of that, but I do know and understand, by them llllin' and controllin' it, it's more controllable. And I know that if we do, you know, put the marijuana out there to be sold, it's more controllable. And it's not a drug that creates violence, that creates, you know, all of these other negative influences that these other drugs that are, you know, out there, are creating. So i feel like this is a drug that's a peaceful drug, it's uniting people. You know, I'm not sayin' drugs are good, you know what i'm sayin'? But at the same time, everybody that i get down with, that i smoke weed with, it's a beautiful thing. We say hi. We love each other with peace. And it is what it is.

Carson: Right. A lot of people would say --

[ cheers and applause ] our audience came in on snoop's tour bus tonight, by the way. No, a lot of people would say that they use the gateway analogy, that it's a gateway into other things for people that don't necessarily have the control or the respect for it that you have.

>> But, I mean, who's to say? You know what I mean? Because a lot of people need it for sicknesses. You know, people get sick, and it heals the sicknesses. It does a lot of great things, you know, to people, you know what i'm sayin'?

[ Light laughter ] what it does for me is a great thing. You know, it helps me, you know, pattern my style of music and do what i do best. You know, I don't know why, but it does.

Carson: Right.

>> You know, a lot of people need alcohol to do their thing. I don't really need alcohol to get down. Know what I'm sayin'? My choice is this situatio right here, but alcohol is being sold over the counter, you know what i'm sayin', and it kills. It does the same thing that marijuana does, but what's the difference?

Carson: So if it went like cigarettes and alcohol, and then marijuana, and then, sort of, like the harder stuff -- do you think that they drew the li j just a little too late? Maybe it should be more -- cigarettes, alcohol and marijuana in one category, then everything else is, you know, really sort of drug -- did they mistitle marijuana?

>> I don't know. I mean, they say you got the freedom of this and the freedom of that, you know. Just let us have the freedom to do what we want to do. You know what I'm sayin'? Whether it's this, that, that or that, the freedom to smoke weed is not, you know, causing all of this negativity in the world that we're seein' and a part of right now. It's actually calming situations down.

Carson: If it was legal, do you think that it would be promoting it? Or do you think that everybody that would possibly want to do it, because it's so readily available, are gettin' it anyway? I mean, would it help to legalize it?

>> I know it would help. Because then w wouldn't have to be tryin' to hide it and bring it in.

[ Laughter ]

Carson: If you don't mind me asking, since you're -- since you're so mobile, what is your -- versatility in your procedure when you're traveling on tour? I would imagine when the snoop dogg tour rolls into town, the government, or the cops, whatever, are on high alert.

[ Laughter ]

>> it's like this. When i go to these certain towns, it's like, you know, the towns are there for me, you dig? I don't have to bring it to the town, they bring it to me. You know, it's a cultural thing, you dig? It's like, when bob marley was perfomin' back in the day, i'm pretty sure that he didn't have to move with it, they moved it for him, you know what i'm sayin'? So it's like my music is an expression of me havin' a good time, and those who enjoy my music and enjoy me, you know, the weed thing is a bridge. It brings us all together.

Carson: Don't you think, really, at the end of the day, it's about abuse and a lack of respect? And it could be anything. You know, it could be somebody getting behind a car, it could be somebody drinking too much, it could be somebody who's -- you know, wakes up and it takes them two pots of coffee. If they don't respect what they're doing -- it could be their own bodies, it could be anything -- if they don't respect it, and they abuse what's in front of them, isn't that really the problem, not so much, let's say, the habit?

>> It could be, but red fox once said that he had a friend -- they used to smoke cigarettes -- and he said he stopped smoking cigarettes, and the next day, he got hit by a cigarette truck.

[ Light laughter ] so you know what i'm sayin'? It is what it is, homey, u know what I'm sayin'? I'm just here to do what i do as snoop dogg, and i'm glad that people open their minds up and their hearts up to open themselves up to accept me for who I am and to let me be who I am, 'cause i'm not going to be who they want me to be. I'm gonna be who i am.

Carson: And one of the things that you are is an excellent businessman. And when we get back, we're gonna talk business.

[ Cheersndnd applause ] our guest is the one and only snoop dogg. You're watching 'last call.' We'll be right back. apapplause ]

Carson: This is the one and only snoop dogg. You're watching 'last call.' Aside from what you might know about th man, who's an incredible hip-hop artist, and other things we've discussed tonight, there's a whole other side, aside from being a wonderful father, living out in california, an excellent businessman. And you do something in the realm of business i find very interesting, especially in music. And that is that your artists, if i'm not mistaken, own 100% of their masters?

>> Publishing.

Carson: Their publishing.

>> Yeah. That's something that's unheard of in the music industry. It was something that I wanted to do because when i first came in the game, that was taken away from me, you know what i'm sayin'? Because I knew nothing about it --

Carson: People -- i'm sorry to interrupt. People do not understand. When you were starting, publishing rights is everything that you spend time writing --

>> meaning that I wrote all of 'g-thing,' the whole song from beginnin' to end, wrote all of 'what's my name.' And you supposed to get checks after the records sell a whole lot of records, so where it shows that you wtete the song, and you gettin' paid for it. But that didn't happen with me. I only got a percentage.

Carson: Somebody else owned the majority of the publishing rights for those two monster songs.

>> Exactly. For those two monster albums.

Carson: Right. And you thought, 'I'm not gonna screw my artists like i got screwed.'

>> Exactly. And what i'm gonna do -- it's really not screwin', it's just a trade or technique that was put in this music industry before i, you know, got a part of it. So it's just somebody like myself comin' in and decidin' to change the rules of the game and treat the game for what it's worth instead of always tryin' to follow the path. Because the path that they laid down might be wrong, because this is a new year. You know, back then, takin' from an artist was nothin' because most artists didn't know what it was. Now we're more educated. We know what publishing is. When i write my songs, i'm supposed to be compensated for this, especially if this song came from my heart and my life. You feel what I'm sayin', 'why are you so rich off of my song, and I'm sittin' here strugglin' still writin' more and more -- '

Carson: Why does that still exist?

>> Because the game is afraid to change. You know what I'm sayin'? There's so many people up top who have their old ways. You know, it's like slavery. It doesn't exist in a broad way, but it still exists. And that's what's happenin' to the music industry. You find people like myself who come in and try to change it a little bit and give the artist a chance to see that it is some right t the game. It doesn't always have to be wrong.

Carson: And you could potentially sign some young cat out of l.A. Who'd be so happy just to get a record deal --

>> that I could take all his publishing -- I could take everything from him, just because he wants to work with snoop dogg and he wants to be in a video. I could take that from him, but what would i gain from that? So i'd rather give them, you know, something that they're not expectin' no way, and when their attorneys look at it and say, 'well, he gave us all our publishing. This is unheard of.' You know what I'm sayin'? So at the end of the day, whether you make it or not, you'll see that I gave you a fair break.

Carson: That's rare, 'a,' and 'b,' it seems like that's tremendously loyal of you, which brings up a question -- what if you get taken advantage of for that loyalty?

>> Then I move on. Because there's so much talent out there, so many people that flock to me, it's like i'm a magnet for talent. You know what I'm sayin'? They come from everywheres. I got, like, 30 artists right now that i can't even get at right now, because I have artists that i have to deal with right this second. I have a lot of artists that had careers that need a shot again -- that i love. That i grew up listenin' to, that i want to give them a opportunity to shine again. And I got new talent that needs to shine, so it's like i'm in a cross right now because I try to help so many people.

Carson: Give me one quality that makes a good businessman.

>> Open for constructive criticism.

Carson: Is it better to be feared or respected in business?

>> Oh --

>> cson: Are you feared, or are you respected? Are you both?

>> I think i'm just respected. People ain't afraid of me. They love me, and they know i don't bring no harm.

Carson: What is your -- and I enjoy you, actually watching -- the closest you can get to being real is the best. Whether or not you have training

have ever done a movie, or whatever it is, and i always buy you in the movies I've seen you in because you're always real. What's your dream role?

>> My dream role -- to play in a high-powered movie with, like, al pacino, denzel washington, wesley snipes, robert de niro on some, like, next-level mob.

[ Laughter ] you know what I'm sayin'? Y'all watch it, holler at me.

Carson: Yeah. Call nbc. If they were making a movie of your life, and for some reason they had to cast a white guy to play you, who would you want them to cast?

>> Honestly?

Carson: Yeah.

>> Adam sandler.

[ Laughter and applause ]

Carson: You want sandler to get into those glasses, is that the deal?

>> I just love bobby boucher.

Carson: Yeah, bet you do.

Carson: With where you are right now, and again -- as we've talked about so many different avenues that are -- that your life is diving into -- when it comes to the straight, simple art form of lyrics, what motivates you to write lyrics now, as opposed to when you got in the game? Where are you drawing from? 'Cause there's so many things goin' on in your everyday life.

>> Man, I'm drawin' from everywhere. I'm makin' songs that I never thought I'd make before, you know what I'm sayin'?

Carson: I know you're workin' on a new album, so give me, like, one song that's got one sort of theme or vibe you're workin' on.

>> I got a song called 'suited and booted.'

[ Light laughter ]

Carson: I'm sorry, what's that?

>> 'Suited and booted.' And ju about, basically,

dress code when i feel like gettin' real pimpish. When i put my pimp glass in my hand, when i put my mink coat on. When i lay my hair down, when i put on $1,300 shoes and $6,000 suits and jump out of $75,000 cars, with five or six girls on my side.

[ Light laughter ]

Carson: That's a far cry from 'one, two, three and to the four.' You've come a long way.

>> Chuch.

Carson: We'll be right back with snoop dogg right here on 'lastalall.'

[ Cheers and applause ]

[ Cheers and applause ]

Carson: And welcome back to our extravaganza with the one and only snoop dogg here on 'last call.' We d't't have much time left. I'm glad we got a chance to talk, and i'm glad you didn't perform, because we get a chance to do this.

>> Mm-hmm.

Carson: Tell me about the new record, 'cause i know you're working with neptunes, who are all over the place right now.

>> Yeah. They're workin' on a record for me right now. We gonna go do it in about 30-some hours. It's real hot. It's got d.J. Premier workin' on some things for me, workin' with the lady of rage, workin' with battle cat meets wells. You know what I'm sayin'? The doggy-style production crew, just tryin' to reach out -- high-tech as well, bootsy collins, george clinton -- it's gonna be a fun-filled record.

Carson: When can we expect it?

>> August. And it's called 'paid the cost to be the boss.'

[ Laughter ]

Carson: This -- i don't know where I first ever heard of uncle june-bug, but tell everybody who it is first, for those who don't know.

>> Well, uncle june-bug is actually my oldest uncle, but he's my youngest uncle, because he got the most soul and the most spirit, you know what i'm sayin'? We go around the world when I do my rap shows, he --

Carson: He comes on stage.

>> He's dancer. He's one of my dancers.

[ Light laughter ]

Carson: I mean, he is out of control. Did he raise you?

>> I mean, you know that's my uncle, man. I mean, I love him, I patterned my life around him, you know what i'm sayin'? It's been an inspiration to have him around me and be able to still do what he doin'.

Carson: How is he so young? And he is a young guy, but he acts like young young.

>> I mean, it's -- i mean, pimp bones in his body and he rock 'em like la-ti-da-ti.

[ Ugughter ]

Carson: You guys want to meet him? He's here.

[ Cheers and applause ] uncle june-bug, come on out.

[ Cheers and applause ] send me some music. You say he actually dances?

>> Show 'em that new dance you made up, unc. The new -- give him some music.

>> You want me to show it to you?

Carson: Yes, I do, uncle june-bug. Reese, play somethin' down for me, will you? There you go. Show me somethin'.

>> Remember that?

>> You wanna do it like that, you know, like this.

Carson: Yeah, i like it like that, too.

>> Like this, like this, you know, like that. You can't hang like that, you know.

Carson: No, i can't.

>> You gotta be smooth with it, you know.

>> And do it like this, and like this, and li t this, and hey.

Carson: It's the only dance that comes right out. Uncle june-bug.

[ Cheers and applause ]

Carson: I know.

>> You gotta pay to get this.

Carson: I know you do.

>> That's right.

Carson: Nephew's all right, right?

>> He's gotta be all right. I taught him everything he knew. I let the dogs out.

Carson: There ain't nothin' but love goin' on in this room.

[ Laughter ] all right, i wanna thank the one and only snoop dogg. Thank you for being here.

[ Cheers and applause ] look for the record. Snoop dogg, june-bug. Look for the record when it comes out. The clothing line, the movie -- lo f forward to it. You've been a great guest, and we'll see you later. Thanks for watching 'last call.' Good night.

Return to “Other Male Musicians”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests