Checking In With Anthony Kiedis

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:59 am

LOVE HURTS. That's no revelation. But the upside of a wounded heart is that it can get the creative juices flowing. Take the Red Hot Chilie Peppers' singer-songwriter Anthony Kiedis. " I was writing these songs when I was with my girlfriend Yohanna, and I was so madly in love with her, " says Anthony, 39, whose three-year relationship with aspiring fashion designer Yohanna Logan came to an end during the recording of thr Peppers' ninth album, By the Way. But instead of scrapping the tunes, Anthony drew the strength from them and kept on singing. "My heart was completely wide open," he says, "and it insisted that I sing about feelings like...longing to find someone. The bitter can be just as aspiring as the sweet."

Need further proof? Just check out the disc's first single , "By the Way," a mix of poignant, piercing lyrics layered over the band's trademark lushly orchestrated funk-rock. "It describes this feeling of, 'I'm going out tonight. Am I going to meet this person who's going to sing to me...make me laugh, make me feel sexy...and excited? Am I going to meet that [person] who's going to keep in my heart?" says Anthony, who wrote most of the album's songs in a less-than-romantic locale: his Los Angeles kitchen.

And while that person may not be Yohanna, Anthony insists the two are trying to remain friends. "I've never really pulled that off in the past," he says. "But I'm going for it bigtime with this breakup. And so far, it's working."

MoRtiCia13
Ultra Member

Postby MoRtiCia13 » Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:57 am

o beeejeeesus...i love dat man! he is so talented and such a damn fine writer and singer...and he isn't hard 2 look at either 4 god's sake! :o he seems 2 get finer and finer as he ages! their cd rocks as well! B)

Return to “Other Male Musicians”