Ricky Arrived To Thailand

rinoa

Postby rinoa » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:05 am

http://myboricua.com/Pix/Thaipix/thaipix.htmSee the pix here

peopleforchildren.orgVisit People for Children website

The Associated Press.
Wednesday January 12, 7:51 PM

Pop star Ricky Martin vows to give "everything, and then more" to help tsunami orphans Pop icon Ricky Martin says he knew he had to come to Thailand to help after watching the devastating scenes of the Asian tsunami.

"After looking at those images on television, it was impossible for me to stay at home with my arms crossed," Martin told reporters at the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

The 33-year-old Puerto Rico native talked about the Ricky Martin Foundation's anti-trafficking People for Children project, and the momentum he hopes to bring to the relief efforts here.

"I have a very powerful tool, and I must say, that is music. Music has given me the opportunity to reach masses of people," said Martin, whose hits include "She Bangs," "Shake Your Bon-Bon" and "Livin' La Vida Loca."

He said he felt a need to give back, particularly to children, and to add to the efforts of the Thai government and international organizations.

"They are doing such a beautiful job reconstructing the souls, especially of these children. I just want to be one more," he said.

After arriving Wednesday from New York, Martin met with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai ahead of his visit to tsunami-battered areas in the south. He is following in the footsteps of a string of foreign ministers and other diplomats who have come to see the damage and relief efforts firsthand.

Martin will focus his efforts on orphans and families who lost relatives.

Thailand has about 5,300 confirmed deaths and more than 3,000 still missing from the tsunami that killed more than 150,000 people around the Indian Ocean region. Some 323 Thai children lost one or both parents, a Thai official said.

Child welfare groups are concerned that the chaos and dislocation caused by the disaster may lead to an upsurge in child exploitation, including trafficking for sexual purposes.

The People for Children project, under Martin's foundation, helps monitor and combat commercial sexual exploitation of children.

On Thursday, Martin will visit Patong and Kamala beaches in Phuket, where hundreds of people were killed or went missing. On Friday, he will visit a relief camp, a school and the Wat Yan Yao temple, which has been turned into a temporary mortuary and forensics center.

He said he wants to figure out exactly what his foundation can do to help, whether it is building orphanages and schools or producing charity events.

"I will meet with victims tomorrow, and I will see in their eyes where is it that they're weak," Martin said, adding that he is prepared to give "Everything, and then more."

It's simply incredible what this man is doing. I have no words to express what I feel seeing and reading all these. God bless you Ricky. You have a heart of gold. We all are very proud of you. Love you forever :wub:

Return to “Ricky Martin”