Are fans getting out of hand?

georgyporgy
Supreme Member

Postby georgyporgy » Sat Dec 30, 2000 9:05 am

So I'll post this here. Got it from TTANG message board & I'm pretty sure you guys have read this but this is the first time I came across this article.

How Far Is Too Far?
By: Erica S., Reporter Posted: 9/17/2000

Imagine you have just entered a store to buy a bag of chips and a soda. You look around a little bit to find what you want. Then, all of a sudden, you hear the sounds of screams coming from the door. You turn around and coming straight towards you is a mob of about 100 girls. You look around, but you have nowhere to go. You stand there, helpless and alone, as the mob cramps into the tiny convenience store. You again try
to find a place to escape, but there is nowhere you can go. They finally reach you and start grabbing you and pulling on your clothes. You try to move, but the girls crowd around you even more. They then continue to grab you, even in ways that could be considered sexual assault. Finally this stops when a bodyguard is called onto the scene, but you are left feeling scared and violated.

Sounds pretty awful, huh? You wouldn't want it to happen to you, would you? Well, that is what happened to N Sync's Justin Timberlake when he was in Hawaii. Justin just entered a deli to get a snack, and then he was stuck in the middle of a nightmare. That leaves me wondering, how far is too far?

Some fans go to extremes to meet their celebrities, but sometimes their obsession just gets out of hand. I am in no way saying that all fans are like that, but obviously some are as proven that fateful day in Hawaii. I am a huge fan of N Sync and other celebrities, but I would never do anything like mob them. Just because they are in the public eye doesn't mean that they are not entitled to their personal space and privacy.

One time I was waiting outside after N Sync had sang at a baseball game to see them leave, and the security guard was screaming at us to get back. I moved back but almost no one else did. Then they came out, and everyone dashed towards them. One girl even jumped on top of my friend, almost injuring her, and she wasn't even close to N Sync! And people complain that big stars like N Sync have too much security? That is why. It is really out of hand when some people get that crazy. I think some people just need to realize the celebrities are just real people that can be hurt, both physically and emotionally. People don't seem to realize that everything that affects us usually can affect them the same way. Just think about that.

I cannot really speak on behalf of the celebrities because they all have their own thoughts and opinions, and I am sure they appreciate all of their fans, but like I said before, just remember that they are people like you and me.

Did this really happen? :o

Return to “NSYNC”