News,

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:30 pm

somebody warn him before bubs has a few beers :ph34r:

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:12 am

<span style='color:purple'>11 days...WOOHOO!!! I can't wait to hear your review!!!!

Go get him K-1!!!
</span>

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sat May 01, 2004 3:24 pm

Sex symbol in a twist - Cameron Adams

John Mayer had a "sex face". That's the description fans have given the US singer/songwriter's expressive face, which contorts and twists as he sings. "It's something I don't even notice when i'm doing it," Mayer says "I know people find it funny; I don't particularly. I don't even notice unless I watch myself back, which I don't really do."

He also shiks the tag of "Thinking woman's sex symbol", despite a gig at Fox FM's rooftop this week featuring 98 per cent women.

"You don't have to be a stud to a million people, you just have to be a stud to the right person," Mayer says.

"It's great when people come up to the show but i don't need people lining up outside by my door, all I need is that one person. But i don't go looking for that person, there's not a lot of time."

It's been a fast rise for Mayer. And he's using his high profile to push the musical envelope: choosing the subtle Clarity as his latest single.'
"If you know you're going to get heard with something, pick the song that's going to affect how people see you the most," Mayer says. "I don't like the idea of putting the easy one out, easy is easy, it's not fun. I like putting out the one where you move halfway to them and they move halfway to you. If you're going to make a hit, make it a challenge. I'd rather be ambitious."

One ambition that Mayer had fulfilled is designing his own guitar.
The John Mayer guitar, from Martin guitars, retails for about $9000 (Australian) and is limited to 404 instruments worldwide.

"That is a wet dream come true. I designed it; I got in my car, I went down to the factory," he says. "A guitar you can buy at a store with my name on it, that's top of the line for me."

Anybody else want a guitar now, just because it has John Mayer on it? :lol:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sat May 01, 2004 3:25 pm

Random but I got my Maroon 5 pictures back... I could get my friend to scan them if anyone would like to see them? :shrug:

K-1, I hope you can get tickets, I wish you the best of luck! :hug: I was looking on ebay, because I want John Mayer badges :lol:, and there are so many tickets for sale, some fourth row and even front ... imagine. :wacko:

8 days to go... :blink:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Sat May 01, 2004 10:08 pm

<span style='color:blue'>21 days for me...:bored:

But to make it sound sooner...3 weeks!</span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon May 03, 2004 8:32 am

i'd love to see your m5 pics!

wow guys your shows are so close....mine's in about 5 wks, but i wonder if he'll sing more than one or two songs cuz there's so many artists performing.....and then almost 4 months away :( that seems like a lifetime.....

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Mon May 03, 2004 7:11 pm

<span style='color:purple'>Mine isn't until August...damn it! BUT...I will be so damn excited after hearing about all of your concerts!!!!
YAY!!!</span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Mon May 03, 2004 7:16 pm

Mine's at the END of August! :yell:

But I have a date with Jason Mraz on the 20th. 17 days! :yay:

Claire, I would LOVE to see them!

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Mon May 03, 2004 8:10 pm

<span style='color:purple'>OOOPPPSSS...me too Claire...me too!!!
End of August???? EEEEkkkkkk, whatever are we going to do until then???

I can't wait for the details of your Mraz concert!! Yippee!!
</span>

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Tue May 04, 2004 11:41 am

JT Fan Girl wrote: I'm sorry Bubs! :lol: Look away now...

:laughup: :rofl: :rofl:

holy moly!! this thread took me FOREVER to read!!! :crazy: but i read it all! :yay: for me!! good articles tho, claire!!! :thumbup: i've read so many and still i am amazed at how he phrases the answers to alot of these questions. it kind of makes me wonder how the jlh relationship worked for any length of time. :huh: she just seems so one dimesional. i'm not sure what he ever saw in her..... :shrug:

i was going to quote k-2's comment about being able to get thru crappy days sometimes just because of john... (but now it's too far back and so i won't quote it) and i SO get what that's like!! i don't think i put it in my thread where i told ya'll about when i had ashley, but let me tell you... i listened to john just about the whole time i was in labor. :lol: no lie!!! :nono: it wasn't until things got totally nuts at the very end that the cd went off. :lol: it's almost like i can kind of get out of my head and go somewhere else when i listen to him. B)

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Tue May 04, 2004 11:46 am

JT Fan Girl wrote:
K-1, I hope you can get tickets, I wish you the best of luck! :hug: I was looking on ebay, because I want John Mayer badges :lol:, and there are so many tickets for sale, some fourth row and even front ... imagine. :wacko:

ugh! :( i'm not having too much luck, actually. <_< there are still a few to bid on and i'm watching, but i can't believe what some of these tickets are going for!! the pit tickets are between $450 - $500 for two!!! :jawdrop: and even in the first ten rows people are asking a ton of cash!!! as much as i wish i could drop $500 to be in the pit, i can't. :(

i'm not giving up tho!!!! :nono: not yet!!!

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Tue May 04, 2004 4:02 pm

Katie, have you tried looking on L83? There's always a lot of people trying to get rid of tickets. And they're not allowed to sell over face value. :nod: I REALLY hope you get some!!! :hug: I hate how much people try to get for tickets. Especially when it's someone like John who I've seen from the front row for a $30 general admission ticket. <_< I saw front row Jason going for $200 each. No eye sex for me at that price...

Oh man, I can just imagine how nice it would have been to have John on during labor. While reading that I was imaging I am driving up 85 in the kinda morning "PUSH!!!!!!!" "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" that lasts all afternoooooon :lol:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Tue May 04, 2004 4:42 pm

<span style='color:blue'> :blink: We're so freakin' weird. :rofl: :wub:</span>

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Tue May 04, 2004 5:16 pm

<span style='color:purple'>LMAO... :rofl: :laughup:
I'm going to see if my next client will listen to John too...keep your fingers crossed!!
</span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Tue May 04, 2004 6:26 pm

justins bubbles wrote: <span style='color:blue'> :blink: We're so freakin' weird. :rofl: :wub:</span>

:kiss: :rofl:

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Thu May 06, 2004 2:48 pm

:nod: :P B)

i'll try looking on L83... i didn't realize people were selling tickets on there. i haven't been over there in so long. i just thought once i missed the pre sale that i was screwed. thanks for the heads up! :kiss2:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Thu May 06, 2004 2:59 pm

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>3</span></span> <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>mayer-licious (what ever that means :lol:)</span><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>DAYS TO GO!!!</span></span>

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! :yay:

Hope you can get some ticks off L-83 K1! :nod:

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Thu May 06, 2004 4:47 pm

CLAIRE! HOLY CRAP! HOW did that sneak up on us so fast?! :o I can't wait I can't wait I CAN'T WAIT! :yell:

Just make sure not to pass out the second he gets on stage... we need to hear all the details. :lol: :hug:

Anything for you, Katie. :kiss:

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Thu May 06, 2004 6:10 pm

Just make sure not to pass out the second he gets on stage... we need to hear all the details

<span style='color:purple'>Oh yeah, we can't have that happening!! :blink:

lol, have a wonderful time Claire!

Katie...my fingers are crossed for you!!
</span>

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri May 07, 2004 10:37 am

I just checked Scotty's road journals to see if they're was anything up, there wasn't so... I went to Sting's site out of interest and he'd cancelled his dates in Holland, Belgium and Denmark. I went back to John's site and it says they are postponed because Sting has laryngitis. It doesn't say anything about the Scotland date but it's Sunday, so if Sting isn't well now :(... well, I'm worried. :nervous:

If John doesn't come it'll actually break my heart. :heartbreaker:

:cry:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri May 07, 2004 11:02 am

It's been put up on Sting's site and my mum got a call from the venue, it's been cancelled. And if he does reschedule then it'll no doubt be at a time when John won't be able to open for him. And I was so close to seeing him. :heartbreaker:

megzrsa
Supreme Member

Postby megzrsa » Fri May 07, 2004 12:40 pm

:o Nooo Claire, thats not fair on you! :hug: Yeah you were like 2 days away from seeing John :( I hope you get the chance to see him soon :nod:
I saw your sig Claire and YES I miss Nsync :P too much sometimes i think<_<

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri May 07, 2004 2:40 pm

"Sting has canceled his next three shows due to severe laryngitis. Concerts in Newcastle, England, tonight (May 7) and Manchester (tomorrow), as well as Sunday's show in Glasgow, will be rescheduled in the fall."

John's not touring in the fall, is he? :(

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Fri May 07, 2004 5:12 pm

:cry: <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>CLAIRE!</span> :cry:

I'm so sorry, sweatheart. You were so close to finally seeing John. :( I think John stops touring late August. So maybe he'll have some free time to come back over and visit you. I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you, Claire. :cry: I'm sure he'll be back over real soon, if not in the fall. :hug:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Fri May 07, 2004 10:16 pm

<span style='color:blue'>THAT SUCKS!! :jawdrop: That kind of thing happened to me w/ Enrique. I was on "The List" for backstage too... <_< Bastards.</span>

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Mon May 10, 2004 8:10 pm

<span style='color:purple'>Awww Claire, I am so sad for you!!!!! We'll get him there...soon!!!</span>

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Tue May 11, 2004 3:31 am

Thanks everyone. :hug:

This is not John news but still good :P...

Lindsay Lohan is in final negotiations to star in a film called "Love and Death at Terrington Prep" that would team the "Mean Girls" actress with "The O.C." co-star Adam Brody.

A source close to Lohan had no additional details about the movie, except that she'll shoot it in June, before "Herbie: Fully Loaded." Brody's rep was not available for comment.

Lohan is also in the process of writing and recording her debut album (see "Lindsay Bizkit? Lohan Solo Album Combines 'Hip-Hop And Rock' "). Brody, meanwhile, just wrapped the first season of "The O.C." as well as "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.

"I have the smallest part in it," Brody joked recently. "I got press for it, but it's kind of a lie — I make two scenes." :wub:

Well I'm in school, so I better go. :lol: :huh:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Tue May 11, 2004 4:04 am

<span style='color:blue'> :o Her AND Seth??? Lohan's HOT! :drool:

What? :shrug: She is. :huh:

Thanks Claire.</span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Tue May 11, 2004 2:58 pm

:( claire oh god....i'm so sorry...my heart breaks for you :(

i just saw this or i would've responded sooner.....but mayerbe john will realize how many of his fans missed out on seeing him at the sting show and he'll make a pt of putting on a show there soon.....i mean he does tour non-stop anymore....he's gotta hit scotland ;)

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Wed May 12, 2004 11:13 am

Thanks Nay. :hug:

I'm just never gonna see John, am I? :lol: "He also hinted out that he is getting tired of touring after releasing something so maybe things will finally be slowing down in that aspect" :(

THE RESIDENT ROCK STAR: John Mayer
Monthly musings from our cultural advisor

by John Mayer | Jun 01 '04

Esquire has given me a third of a page to write whatever I please. Evidently it's bad form to sell it for ad space (sorry, Jim Ellis Ford and Mercury Dealers). So this month, I thought I'd share with you a new musician whose music's got me seriously worked up. But first, to gain your trust, a sampling of things I think I believe.

The White Stripes: I like them, but I don't see how they're in any way a manifestation of the blues.
The Neptunes: I could use their touch on my next record.
N.E.R.D.: Could use my touch on their next record.
The Beatles: I've missed too many episodes to follow the plot.
Kanye West: At last, hip-hop turns the hazards off and gets the flat tire fixed.
Ryan Adams: Wants it so bad, he became it.
John Mayer, Heavier Things : B minus. Am I the only one who finds this record creepy to make out to?

PUT THIS CD ON: Good albums come with learning curves, and great albums give you something good to chew on while you're waiting for dinner to cook. I find myself chewing on another song off Nellie McKay's debut record, Get Away from Me , about once every two days. While Joss Stone is busy being minted Miss Power of Suggestion 2004, this 19-year-old has quietly released one of the best albums of the year. Get Away from Me is a breakthrough album. It's also the kind of eclectic album that record companies don't traditionally have a clue what to do with. Based in jazz and borrowing heavily from musical theater, the environments are elaborately painted set pieces. Every melody— every musical event —is fully realized. In fact, there's more music in McKay's head than she knows what to do with. The next Joshua Tree it ain't , but 18 tracks on two discs ensure that if you can get past the fact that she raps without flinching on several songs, someday you'll get to hearing them all.

NEXT MONTH: Ways for lazy industry haters to get excited about the music again.

John Mayer, Heavier Things : B minus. Am I the only one who finds this record creepy to make out to?

:rofl: Oh, John. :wub:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Wed May 12, 2004 12:25 pm

Jason article for K2, Mraz's girl :P...

Jason Mraz And His Prophets See A Tour In Their Future

There's a science to performing on a street corner, and Jason Mraz knows it well.

"You only have eight to 15 seconds to perform to your audience 'cause they're just gonna walk right by you," the singer/songwriter shared. "I got to the point where I'd just make up 15-second songs about that person and hope to get a few bucks. I'd do that over and over again. It's really challenging as a writer and performer, but I feel like I've been able to translate that onstage and perform for a variety of people in the crowd."

Mraz, who strummed his guitar on the streets of New York before graduating to coffee houses in San Diego — and eventually pop stardom — salutes his early days on the new single "Curbside Prophet," which he remixed with Sly & Robbie (No Doubt, the Fugees) for the "New York Minute" soundtrack. (He also released a video for the live version featuring Blues Traveler's John Popper on harmonica.)

And to further honor his curbside roots, Mraz is launching the Tour of the Curbside Prophets with up-and-comers Raúl Midón, Makana and DJ Bob Neck Snapp.

"The idea was to bring a variety of songwriters together and stray from what you'd expect, 'cause I think there's so many pop singer/songwriters right now," Mraz said. "If I saw more than one of me during a show, I would be bored. So I wanted to bring in guys who are coming out in a whole new direction ... and give the tour that theme and allow the musicians to run with it how they want."

Mraz described Midón — a New Mexico-bred singer/songwriter currently recording his Blue Note Records (Norah Jones' label) debut in New York — as "the most amazing musician I have seen in my life."

"His approach to a guitar and melody is so refreshing and new," Mraz said. "It reminds me of George Benson and these old-school jazz singer/songwriters. It's a pop feel, but you could tell they just love the jazz. It's the most incredible thing to watch and to listen to."

Mraz discovered the blind singer when someone e-mailed him a link to one of Midón's performances. He found Hawaiian musician Makana through an even less conventional route: yoga.

"My instructor would play the music while we were stretching, and at first I just found it to be soothing and beautiful, but after I started listening to his lyrics I realized this guy's got a crazy sense of humor," Mraz said. "It caught me off guard. ... He's not your typical sensitive singer/songwriter, and that's one thing I wanted to kind of steer away from."

Makana is a slack-key guitarist, "which is an interesting island tuning," Mraz said. "It allows you to play leads and rhythms and different stuff at the same time."

As for DJ Bob Neck Snapp, Mraz has been jamming with him in a side project, the Bush League, for a few months and thought his unique style would fit well on the Tour of the Curbside Prophets.

"He's a DJ, but in the most eloquent way," Mraz said. "He'll be the transition guy, but he'll always be in place and he's able to accompany anyone. If he drops any pianos and strings and samples, it's just the right key, tempo and volume."

As for Mraz's set, the Mechanicsville, Virginia, native will mostly perform acoustically by himself. "I want to give the folks a feeling of how these songs sounded the day I wrote them," he said.

The Tour of the Curbside Prophets will culminate each night with the four performers and a percussionist taking the stage together for a jam.

"Each one of us comes from a different part of the world, and I think throughout our time onstage, the stories that'll be told will give the feeling of where we all started," Mraz said. "And hopefully in the end we can bridge the gap between the cultures and ultimately express the similarities that all these street corners tend to have."

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Wed May 12, 2004 3:30 pm

Awww, thanks Claire! :blowkiss: I'm getting excited about all these new people... I'm getting bored of my music. And Mraz does yoga... so do I... B)

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:black'>8 DAYS!</span></span>

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Wed May 12, 2004 4:45 pm

<span style='color:blue'> :D I read BOTH of those.

I have no life now. :lol:

I do pilates. :D

</span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Wed May 12, 2004 6:35 pm

:o I've always wanted to do pilates! But I settled with yoga. :shrug: :lol:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Wed May 12, 2004 10:14 pm

:P i love pilates..... :huh: well i do

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Wed May 19, 2004 10:45 am

No one likes reading articles but... :P

Maybe I should start posting them in installments? :shrug:

Rolling Stone, Australia

Singer surprises Pennsylvania school with live set

Students at Pennsbury High in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, got an extra treat at their prom on Saturday night: a surprise performance by John Mayer. "It was the ultimate high school dream," says senior class president Bob Costa, who led a two-year campaign to get Mayer to play the prom. It looked like it wasn't going to happen: The singer was in Cleveland on Friday, taping a performance with Paul Simon for VH1's In Tune, and flew home first thing Saturday morning so that he could show up at Pennsbury. "It proved that you should have faith that anything is possible," Costa says. Pennsbury's prom has become somewhat legendary over the past several years thanks to its elaborate arrivals, with more than 1,000 kids parading through the town in everything from muscle cars and motorcycles to dogsleds, hearses and even a helicopter. The school is the subject of a new book written by journalist Michael Bamberger called Wonderland -- after Mayer's Grammy- winning song "Your Body Is a Wonderland" -- that narrates a year in the life of Costa and his classmates. Mayer's song had become an anthem for the senior class, and Costa's quest to recruit the singer for the prom is one of the book's main storylines. Paramount has already optioned the rights to adapt Wonderland for the big screen. "Last year my best friend got hit by a car and died," says Costa. "And a lot of kids in my school hunkered down and realized that maybe our dream of having Mayer come isn't meant to be."

The seniors showed up not knowing Mayer was on his way. At eleven o'clock, Principal William Katz corralled them to the gymnasium for a "special treat," and Mayer took the stage for a three-song acoustic set that included "No Such Thing," "Clarity" and, of course, "Your Body Is a Wonderland." Decked out in their tuxedos and prom dresses, the students stood on chairs, held their cell phones aloft, screamed, sang along, and even wept during the performance. "Go be amazing people, and I'll see you again," Mayer said, before jumping back in his car and heading home.

"It was great to get back to the simplicity of just showing up somewhere and playing," he says. "But the best part is realizing that not a single drop of that moment is going to be lost on these kids. It will be written on their brains for the rest of their lives. It was really exciting. I'm thinking I should start doing six proms a night."

Costa says that even after Mayer made his exit, the students were buzzing for hours. "People came up to me the entire night and hugged me or gave me high-fives," he says. "The girls were crying and the guys were ecstatic. This stuff just doesn't happen. It's too movie-like. For those few moments, it was perfect."

Also... two new journal entires over @ Mraz's site... oh, and I just realised, 2 days til Katie gets some Mraz eye sex... read that again but take out the word eye :P...

megzrsa
Supreme Member

Postby megzrsa » Wed May 19, 2004 11:25 am

I popped over here to get a Mayer fix, WOW! That was an amazing thing for him to do for those kids :P How jealous am i right now? lol VERY!
Thanks for the article Claire

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Wed May 19, 2004 2:28 pm

TOMORROW I'M HAVING MRAZ SEX! :crazyjump: Thanks for the heads up on the journals, Claire. I LIVE for them. :lol: :wub:

And WOW, Mayer at prom?! If he likes them so much he could always show up Saturday. And then join HSC and me in some chaperone after-party sex. :lick: B) But seriously, I think I'd die a million times over if Mayer just popped up. :blink:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Wed May 19, 2004 3:56 pm

<span style='color:blue'>Popped in what? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have read that one, but I'm a time limit. Apparently the moms wants me to do stuff... ;) :lol:

:yay: for Mraz sex!!! :yay: I'm still feeding of my Justin/Joey threesome. :lol:</span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Wed May 19, 2004 7:50 pm

justins bubbles wrote: <span style='color:blue'>Popped in what? :lol: :lol: :lol::</span>

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Thu May 20, 2004 10:46 am

:rofl: @ Bubs!

Have a great time with the Mraz man tonight Katie! :yay:

It's an interview, more exciting than an article, non? :P

Heavier Thoughts
A Moment if Clarity With John Mayer
By Cory Lorentz

When John Mayer first came onto the music scene with his first major-label release Room For Squares (originally released by Aware Records), it was at first a slow but steady rise to the fame he now harnesses. From small clubs to large venues, Mayer has grown as a musician in every way possible. The evidence is abundantly clear on his latest release Heavier Things, an album he believes has given him the opportunity to become much more at ease with himself and with his fans. On Tour with Shure caught up with John during his rigorous touring schedule to gather a little insight on the heavier things headed his way.

On Tour with Shure: When people see you play for the first time, your guitar playing is commented on the most. When training to be a musician, were you self-taught?

John Mayer: Pretty much self-taught. I picked up a guitar for about three weeks before I started taking lessons. The best thing you can do as a musician is to hold the guitar without knowing how to play it. You get your own feel for it. I went to guitar lessons for about six months and I couldn't read music. My parents saw that as a failure on my part-that I went to music lessons and couldn't read music. They thought that I wasn't that serious about it. So, I ended up just diving into CDs.

OTWS:You were at Berklee for a year; what happened there?

Mayer:The first semester was all about wanting to be the best guitar player of all time and then I fell asleep at so many clinics that I just thought, really what music is all about is being listen-able, not study-able. You know you're a rebel when you start skipping classes at a music school so you can write songs.

OTWS:Where do the new song ideas come from, and what's the process involved with their creation?

Mayer:The process works in two ways. As a guitar player, I can always come up with guitar ideas. I can come up with an interesting guitar idea everyday; that's limitless for me. What is incredibly limited to twelve times a year, maybe, is a lyrical idea that is enough to fuel three verses, a chorus, and a bridge. The best songs that I ever wrote were songs where I knew what they were gonna sound like before I picked up a guitar; they were that obvious. So you can sit around and say, 'Damn, I'm cool. I wanna have another song.' But all you'll be doing is coming up with parts until you really have a feeling that you need to write about, which will take you from beginning to end sometimes in fifteen minutes. So, basically you sit around faking it just to fulfill the need to do something because that's what you think you should be doing. And you should, until the moment comes along when you come up with a title and it writes its own chorus for you. Good ideas write songs, not famous musicians.

OTWS:So these songs, the old stuff, the new stuff, are they coming from personal experiences? A lot of fans I've spoken to agree with the fact that John Mayer writes about real issues, and he's not just out in the clouds…

Mayer:Well, that's my style, not to write out in the clouds, but to write for the need to be understood. This [new] record is more personal than the last one was. The last one was more of an intellectual statement, and this one's personal. If nobody knows you, you need to make a record that's gonna grab people by the throat and go, 'Check this out.' I don't need people to go, 'Wow, he's clever.' People know that I can turn a word, but I don't want to do that as a profession. My foot's in the door and now I want to ease up a bit and sing about things that are a bit more emotionally breathy.

OTWS:What was the defining moment, where you knew this is what you wanted to do?

Mayer:When I knew that I wanted to do it? The night I picked up a guitar. Not a lie. Not trying to be overly romantic. The night I picked up a guitar, everything about it made sense in the amalgamation of how cool it is, how sexy it is, how womanly it is, how manly it is, how wonderful it is, the control, the freedom. All these things went together for me and I saw myself as kind of a superhero. Now, I was no closer to figuring out how to play the damn thing, but I saw the road to it. That's always cool when you know that you're nowhere, but you're inspired by the road there. I'm always inspired by the road there. I still like the idea of cramming more stuff into my playing.

OTWS:What were people's opinions when you spun the whole idea that you were going to go on and be a rock star?

Mayer:Well, I never said rock star and I still don't. I always thought about being a famous musician, and that's a tough one to call out from home plate, pointing out to the stands. It's also something that I don't think other people can support you in emotionally, fully, or at least vision-wise. They can't share that vision, because it's such a singular step to take. It is so singular that it's almost like a one seat vehicle. I think looking back on it, if anybody had said, 'Yeah, I totally believe in you; I think you're gonna make it.' I would've thought they were lying. Nobody's sure.

OTWS:You've been using Shure's PSM® Personal Monitor Systems on your tours; what's that experience been like?

Mayer:I've been using them since it was hard to hear myself in the room because of the singing. People sing so loud at the show, I can't hear myself. Vocals are a thing that I need to play against the silence; I need to sing against nothing. I need to hear my voice on a white canvas, not on a gray canvas where there's already noise. When the mix is great, it almost feels like you don't have ears in at all. And it looks cool!

OTWS:What mic are you using on vocals for this tour?

Mayer:We're using a regular Beta 58[A]® right now. The first mic I ever bought was a Beta 58 and it just agrees with me. It just works for me.

OTWS:With a second major-label release and another big tour, at this point what would you say is your formula for longevity?

Mayer:You don't talk about longevity, you just do it because longevity is a matter of fate; it's a matter of eventuality. We are a culture that is now so aware of how things work because we've had a certain experience now with bands, with culture, with pop music, with pop culture, that we all want to talk about longevity and what causes it. There's only one thing that makes longevity and that's longevity. I'm amazed at how often people say, 'You're here to stay. You're gonna be here in ten years.' How do you know? You don't. Ten years will tell you.

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Thu May 20, 2004 12:41 pm

:yay: mraz day for katie!!! :lick: can't wait to get the review...altho truthfully, i'll admit that i'm a bit more interested in hearing all about the prom haps with HSC. :nod: :lol:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Thu May 20, 2004 6:39 pm

<span style='color:blue'>MEE TOOOOO! :lol: :popcorn:</span>

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Sat May 22, 2004 7:04 pm

:lol: that's TONITE!!! :D we'll all be thinking of k-2 wherever we are and wondering... :thinking: hmmmm... i wonder..... is katie FINALLY getting the HSC nookie???????? :huh:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sun May 23, 2004 2:37 am

B) we need some nookie talk....

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Sun May 23, 2004 11:35 pm

;) <span style='color:blue'>I could do w/o the nookie for a while... Unless it's in my dreams. :lol:</span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Mon May 24, 2004 7:06 pm

^ Now that's something we never thought we'd hear you say. :lol:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Tue May 25, 2004 12:41 am

<span style='color:blue'>:lol: I know! :wacko: Maybe it's just the boy...:shrug: :lol: </span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Thu May 27, 2004 8:16 am

I could do w/o the nookie for a while... Unless it's in my dreams.  

Now that's something we never thought we'd hear you say

I know!  Maybe it's just the boy...

:lol: :lol: :lol: have you introduced him to twister yet?

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Thu May 27, 2004 3:14 pm

:lol: i'm with nay on the need for nookie talk. :nod: like our late nite chat that time... i think that's just about all we talked about. :lol:

Return to “NSYNC”