Postby justins bubbles » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:27 am

<span style='color:blue'>They never work. :shrug: :( </span>

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:05 pm

Rockin' side of Mayer emerges at rodeo show

By MICHAEL D. CLARK
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
Opening night at RodeoHouston Tuesday and almost everything was status quo. Almost.

Famous bull riders like Bryan Richardson and Fred Boettcher were riding angry sides of beef with names like Cuervo Gold and Snuff Hot Damn. Longtime rodeo announcers Bob Tallman and Boyd Polhamhus were back in the booth calling play-by-play on steer wrestling and the chuck wagon races. And on the mobile concert stage following the competition was radio star ... John Mayer?

Last year RodeoHouston inaugurated Reliant Stadium, its new bronc- and bull-riding cathedral, with a concert from country king George Strait. Two years before that it was Nashville princesses the Dixie Chicks who led off the rodeo concert series. This year many titans of country radio will grace the rodeo stage before RodeoHouston ends on March 21.

For the 2004 debut, however, it was Mayer, a balladeer whose James Taylor-influenced soft rock earned him a Grammy award for best male pop vocalist.

Mayer is not the first artist who comes to mind when thinking of post-rodeo fun, but give RodeoHouston organizers credit for booking one of the most-coveted young artists on the planet. When his album Heavier Things came out last September, it debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 charts. It followed the triple-platinum (over 3 million copies sold) success of breakthrough set Room for Squares and the Grammy-winning single Your Body Is A Wonderland.

That's a big shadow for an artist still in his mid-20s but not nearly enough of one to fill a monstrous stadium playing music better suited for acoustic guitars and cozy coffeehouses.

Mayer and his five-man backing band will never be mistaken for the Rolling Stones, Metallica or any of the other larger-than-life rock acts that have set up on the Houston Texans' home field. Compared to the nearly "unplugged" sets he's offered in past visits to Houston, however, this was Mayer at his most rockin'.

Dressed in the college jock semi-formal uniform of rumpled sports coat and faded jeans, Mayer opened with the acoustic strum and keyboard gnash of 2002 hit No Such Thing. The quickening pace of his voice as it climbed from tenor to falsetto while belting the chorus "I want to scream at the top of my lungs" worked perfectly with the nonstop rotation of rodeo stage.

"I feel like a cheescake this evening," said Mayer as he stood in his front stage wedge of the circular dish. "I feel like a pie in a diner."

Clearly challenged by the big building, Mayer broke out rarely seen dance kicks while doing his best Dave Matthews imitation on more recent radio favorite Bigger Than My Body. For My Stupid Mouth and Neon, he showed off his underrated ability to pluck on electric guitar, at one point even pulling out a Flying-V to kick out the jam.

It was on flirty slow dances like Come Back To Bed and Your Body Is a Wonderland that the limitations of a single man trying to fill Reliant Stadium with melodious noise became apparent. As his band took on a shadowy support role and Mayer launched electric chords inspired by Eric Clapton at the closed roof, a showman side rarely seen to this point leaped from his usually introverted facade.

At a smaller venue it would have been cathartic effort from a still-evolving singer-songwriter. At RodeoHouston, even with a sound system that sounds vastly improved from last year, it was a tease.

Pictures of Mraz on American dreams. :blink: :lol: :wub:

http://images.nbcmv.com/photos/preview/americandreams/2AMDep03.jpghttp://images.nbcmv.com/photos/preview/ame...ms/2AMDep03.jpg

http://images.nbcmv.com/photos/preview/americandreams/2AMDeo03.jpghttp://images.nbcmv.com/photos/preview/ame...ms/2AMDeo03.jpg

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:28 pm

Found a new pic of John @ the Rodeo - http://john.tiffanithiessen.org/appearances/rodeo001.jpghttp://john.tiffanithiessen.org/appearance...es/rodeo001.jpg :wub: :wub: :wub:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:09 pm

:( john pic doesn't work and i got called a bastard :lol:

i've never seen him play a flying-v before :P and doesn't everyone know exactly what jacket they're talking about :lol: ....too cute

i miss everyone too! lets still plan a chat even if they never happen :huh:

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:43 pm

Mraz... :blink: :rofl:

I see John in 8 days! :o

Please, can we schedule a chat? I'll try really really hard to remember, I swear. :pray:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:06 pm

Just reminding everyone Jason is on American Dreams sometime in March... sometime, as in I can't remember when, but I'm sure it was towards the end of March. :P

The super-selling single guy has, alas, no time for love (:()

By EYDER PERALTA
The Times-Union

Music rules every aspect of John Mayer's life. He was promoted on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine as a pouty-lipped, sensitive Grammy Award-winning single man, looking for one of the most essential things in life: love and a girlfriend along with it. Yet, he's still single. He was rumored to be with super-model Heidi Klum, but he's dismissed it as a simple get together.

And it all has to do with his music. It's getting in the way, and he knows it.

"Music is like my daughter, and I'm an only father," he said. "So, when you go on a date and put that on the table, some people will say, 'See ya.' "

When he says that, he's very dismissive, like he's either given it much thought or has rehearsed that line so much that it rolls off without a sense of loss or need. But in interviews, it comes up. In his music, it comes up.

Mayer, 26, has become a superstar. He went from coffee-house troubadour with Dave Matthewslike licks, to having his first major-label album, Room For Squares, become a huge success. Along with Norah Jones, he has been one of the most surprisingly successful artists out there.

His studio follow-up Heavier Things went to No. 1 on the Billboard charts last year, and he's become a mainstay on adult contemporary stations and in college dorms.

He's so big, he's playing arenas -- a singer-songwriter gone electric and playing to thousands of people.

Music, he said, is the only thing he can commit to right now. He doesn't watch much TV, he said, because he doesn't have time to become a regular watcher. He'll never cave in to filmmaking (he's somewhat of a tech geek) because he doesn't have the commitment.

And music and his guitar come before any date.

"I knew what I was getting into," he said. "I knew. It's not like I'm saying, 'Why did this happen to me? Why did I choose this life?' "

In some sense, he sounds much more real than on Bigger Than My Body, the first single off Heavier Things. He's calm, and he seems to understand the nature of the circus around him.

"It makes me more realistic," he said, about the past few years. He said he was cockier back when he was just a singer-songwriter and that when he made his first and self-released album, 1999's Inside Wants Out, he felt he could do no wrong. He said he sometimes hopes he could be like that again, but that he likes the grounding that the past few years have brought him.

There's always a temptation to romanticize Mayer, because it all seems so tragic: He's a rock star and a million girls out there would be his slave, if he wanted them to be, but he still can't find love. It's sad that he doesn't watch TV because he's enslaved by the music.

But he doesn't seem one bit bothered by it. He loves what he's doing, and if fame or whatever has brought him back to earth and made him grow up, he's glad.

"I like knowing that I could fall," he said.

and a million girls out there would be his slave, if he wanted them to be

:nod: Yup. :lick:

"I like knowing that I could fall,"

:wub: :wub: :wub:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:07 am

<span style='color:blue'>I love that man. :wub: Anyone see the Clarity vid? :wub: :drool:</span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:55 am

:wave: i did! finally.....had only seen a small clip when they were talking about him making it but sammy called down the other night and said......turn it to vh1! :P

:yay: we see john tomorrow!!!!

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:02 pm

<span style='color:blue'>Ah nay!! I had totally forgotten and then yesterday I thought "Nay's show should be soon..." :thinking: :lol: OH, more eye sex. :drool:</span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:31 pm

Nay, I'm so excited for you! (and me! mine's on Sunday :blink:)... take tons of pics for us to gawk over. :kiss:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:05 pm

Mraz News! :P

FRIDAY MARCH 12
> MAGAZINE: Check out Jason in the new Rolling Stone Magazine in the Spring Fashion article. (Ben Affleck is on the cover.)

SATURDAY MARCH 13
> VIDEO: This Monday at midnight (PST / 3AM EST) catch the world premiere of the "Curbside Prophet" video on LAUNCH.com. You can also catch it on the Yahoo homepage starting Tuesday at Midnight. The video was shot live at the Eagle Ballroom in Milwaukee a few months ago and features John Popper ripping it up on the harmonica.

:o Did anyone know Curbside Prophet was going to be the next single? :huh: Katie? :lol:

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:09 pm

I was in this cute place called Cafe Padima with some friends last weekend and I found myself singing along to Curbside!!! I just stopped like "waaaaaaait..." :lol: I can't wait for the video!

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:19 pm

:lol: .....but :huh: that means it's showing online huh? :unsure: will it air on tv soon :(

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:27 pm

I'm sure it'll air on tv soon. :nod: I can't wait to see it!

Music built to last

John Mayer eschews what he calls 'culture-of-the-minute signposts' in his work. Following fashion ends in obsolescence, and this young star doesn't look likely to flame out

JORDAN ZIVITZ
The Gazette

Saturday, March 13, 2004

John Mayer says that his current band makes it 'effortless for me to go up there and play my guitar and sing.' He'll be doing that at the Bell Centre on Monday night.

There are artists who want their music to two-step with the latest trends. Then there's John Mayer.

"People write reviews of my shows all the time and talk about how boring it is," said Mayer, who plays the Bell Centre on Monday. "I actually think that's kind of good, because what 'boring' means to them is that there are no culture-of-the-minute signposts. Or maybe the music sucks. I don't know. But I think the reason critics leave liking parts of it but also saying, 'Well, what does it add up to?' is that there's no fashion going on in the music. It almost offends people sometimes that I'm just getting on stage with a long-sleeved shirt and jeans."

Fashion doesn't fit Mayer, who's often cited as a career-minded artist in an industry where most 20-somethings are built for a few hits and then inevitable obsolescence once trends shift an inch. The 2001 album Room for Squares made Mayer a star, but a slow-burning one. He wasn't given a hard sell. He didn't have Sony Music's entire marketing budget riding on him. It was only with the video for Your Body Is a Wonderland - one of the most innocent songs ever written about carnal lust - that his telegenic looks came into play, and that was after he proved his musical worth.

Throughout Room for Squares's long ascent, Mayer expressed a wariness about supernova stardom, saying he didn't yearn to be at the top of the charts. In the sweetest-tasting kind of tough luck, his latest album, Heavier Things, debuted at No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard rankings in September (it entered at No. 3 in Canada). Mayer says he was beside himself, but adds reaching the peak was bittersweet.

"There are some things that go to No. 1 because of their merit, and those are the things that climb the charts very slowly," Mayer said. "I just remember thinking to myself that (Heavier Things' chart placing) doesn't mean the record's good. It means Room for Squares was good, because everyone went out on the faith of that and bought my next record."

Heavier Things is aptly titled, taking Mayer a few steps away from the more doe-eyed sentiments of its predecessor and beefing up his soft-rock heart. With a lineup that includes a brass section, Mayer's current band is expansive enough that "it's become effortless for me to go up there and play my guitar and sing, knowing the bottom line is being taken care of musically."

Effortless. That's the main reason Mayer's chops are often overlooked, staying in the shadow of his turn of phrase and way with an attractive melody. Resisting the urge to hog the spotlight is a mark of a secure musician, but since he worships at Stevie Ray Vaughan's altar, one suspects Mayer would like to be recognized as a great instrumentalist.

"That's true, but check this out: You're not allowed to push people in that direction. It's like going out on a first date: I think it's terribly irresponsible to sit across from somebody and say, 'I'm the kind of person who'll always be there for you.' That's unfair. You can't tell someone what to think of you.

"Guitar playing is invisible to a lot of people unless you shove it at them. And if I were to do that, the way that this house is built for me, it would just crumble. The minute I took my faith out of a melody just to make people walk away saying 'That guy can play guitar,' people would know. It just would not seem right."

However the history books remember him, Mayer simply wants to be remembered. His goal isn't so much to be viewed as an A-list guitarist, singer or songwriter, but to be the last man standing. If some critics see him as boring, that's a negligible price for ignoring the hot/not lists.

"It would be interesting to keep doing my thing: Don't speak up too loud, sneak around the bush, play shows, make a little money, write songs, build an audience. And then when that bulldozer comes through and plows fashion out of the way and makes way for new fashion, maybe I'll have found a way to grow into the ground so that I won't get uprooted. And if 10 years from now that's how it all went down, I'm gonna laugh like a jackass about it."

Also I read John is a Possible judge for "American Idol" ... have you all been watching? :shrug:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:39 pm

thanks again claire! :hug:

no it would just be wrong if john started wearing anything other than what he wears now....so wrong

you know i do want him to musically have all his dreams come true but he's one artist i really don't want to see go sooooo mainstream.....even though he probably is already :blink:

john might be a judge on AI?...i don't know why i don't see him doing something like that :shrug:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:54 pm

I understand how you feel, whenever an artist I really like goes mainstream I always feel like, "Well, I liked them first" :P

The other day my dad called to say "the guy who your mum thinks sings about alice in wonderland is on" :lol: and John was on Scotland today, he talked about fame and had this great analogy about dipping your feet slowly in, a bit a time...ok :blink:... it makes more sense in that article, and here it is;

Scotland Today's Billy Sloan spoke to John Mayer, a man who is very much a star in the USA and who is establishing himself in the UK as well.

Asked about his influences, he said: "I like melody. If you look at the songs that are my favourites, a lot of different artists, they are always the melodic ones, the rythmic ones, the soulful ones. The Police, I grew up listening to Michael Jackson, Genesis, Phil Collins, and I still have a soft spot for it. It's just that at some point I picked up blues and jazz music. It was a whole different world."

John has experienced some incredible success, and Billy asked him if in his heart of hearts he could ever have predicted triple platinum sales for his first ever record.

John said: "I always knew that I would put out records and people would come to see me play. You don't put numbers on it. You are just so happy to make a record or tour if you're lucky, you'd have to be colossally spoiled to lie in bed as a 13-year-old and think 'I'm going to sell 3 million records.' You can't really think in those terms.'"

There would have been a time when he was completely anonymous but after a number one record he became one of the most recognisable people in the country. When fame landed on his doorstep, was he ready for it?

He answered: "Absolutely. I'm always flattered when people say I'm recognisable but I don't think that's true. By the time I won a Grammy and went out my door the next morning, it was like 'Oh my God...All eyes were on you.' By the time I got to that point, I had climbed in small incliments. We went round the country and played to 200 people, then 400, then 800. You kind of dip your foot in, and then go up to your knee. So you don't jump in all the way. So by the time I got up to my neck in it, I was OK."

John's new single in the UK is Bigger than My Body . What was his inspiration for the song?'

He said: "I've always had the feeling that I can't hang with everyone else. If there's five people in the room, two pairs will split off and I'll be standing by myself. I still get that feeling like 'I'll show you' so 'someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar' means that 'this is nowhere near where I want to be. Lest you think that I am sitting pretty on top of my perch.' I'm nowhere near where I want to be."

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:17 pm

claire you find the best articles......did he mention anything bout playing in scotland "fingers crossed"

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:39 pm

renee wrote:claire you find the best articles......did he mention anything bout playing in scotland "fingers crossed"

Nope. Nothing. :( My routine is to come home, go on johnmayer.com and even though I see it hasn't been updated since feb, I still look at breaking news, upcoming tourdates and then check ticketmaster just in case, I can't help it. :( I really am tempted to tell the guys of M5 that Scotland needs its John fix, but that might be a bit rude. :huh:

I think I'm on a roll...

http://johnmayer.com/contest/http://johnmayer.com/contest/

I can't enter because I'm not from the usa, but if you guys do I wish you the best of luck! :)

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:57 pm

<span style='color:blue'>Claire you're just chalk-full of Mayer/Mraz news. :lol: But yay on Curbside!! :lol: :wub:

As for John...:wub: fell in love all over again yesterday. :wub: Listened to everything I have and was despritely wishing that I had brough AGT home. :( *ehem* But I'm SO w/ him on the can't hang out w/ people thing... ;) </span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:48 pm

Claire! Where would we be without you? :P

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>I</span> fell in love with Mayer all over again yesterday. :wub: Wow. I've had the suckiest day of my entire life and if I didn't have this to remember I think I would have died by now. :nod:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:43 pm

:( sorry bout your sucky day katie.....least you have john thoughts to make it better.....

i've just gotten over the flu and i don't know why but between the drive home after the show til when i got sick i just didn't have that down time to reminisce about the show....so when as i was kinda getting better but still in bed i was able to re-live wed night.....and there's so many stories i've forgotten that he talked about.....can't wait to get the cd..... :)

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:17 pm

I love that, when you just go almost right back to the beginning with John. :wub: I wish he'd come visit me. :(

Oh, I have more news. :lol:

John Mayer Covers Radiohead, Shares Sting Fantasy

With 1.5 million copies of Heavier Things sold since September, there probably aren't too many John Mayer fans who don't own a copy of his latest album. But they may want to splurge for another next month to get a new five-song bonus disc that'll be given away with it.

When people purchase Heavier Things at participating retailers, they'll be handed the bonus disc, which features two recordings of Mayer's current single, "Clarity" (an acoustic take and a radio edit), live versions of "Come Back to Bed" and "Neon," and a track that's been a component of Mayer's live show for a few years.

" 'Kid A' is this little funny thing that happened while we were making [2001's] Room for Squares," Mayer explained of his Radiohead cover. "John Alagia, who was producing the record, had to go away for the weekend. So myself and Jeff Juliano, the engineer, just started messing around. I tooled up this version of 'Kid A' because I love the song, I really do. And within an hour and a half or two hours, it was all done."

Where Radiohead's version of the title track from their 2000 album is an amalgam of looped beats and electronic tones, Mayer rendered his take acoustically, demonstrating his versatility and dexterity as a guitar player. Another fundamental difference is that on Mayer's track, the lyrics can actually be understood.

"The thing about doing covers, for me, is that I don't really feel like I can cover just any song," he said. "I can't particularly sing somebody's notes clearer or higher or stronger, which is why it was such a cool thing to cover this song. There's a tune there, but it was almost purposefully obscured, like a robot was singing it. It was one of the few songs I could do something with — if you're gonna do a cover, leave the song somewhere different than where you picked it up."

Mayer continues his exhaustive American tour in support of Heavier Things through the end of this month, when he'll collaborate with country star Brad Paisley for a taping of CMT's "Crossroads." He'll then tour New Zealand and Australia until April 22. After that, Mayer said he may play a show or two with Sting, whom he described as "the musical Jedi."

"Sting is such a cool guy that, as long as it was with Sting, you could do anything in the world and tell all your friends about it the next day over a pitcher of beer [and they'd think it was cool]," Mayer said, before serving up an imaginary scenario: " 'Sting and I were driving up the coast of California ... next thing you know, we stop off at a rest stop and we're [getting naked] in one of the stalls ...' " He laughs, then continues, "And all your friends will be like, 'Yeeeahh!' Why? 'Cuz it was Sting."

Mayer joined Dave Matthews, Elton John, Elvis Costello, Mary J. Blige, Kylie Minogue and others in paying musical tribute to the former Police frontman at last month's MusiCares Person of the Year ceremony in Culver City, California, where Sting was honored. Mayer said a musical collaboration is not out of the question, though he noted that Sting would have to do the asking.

"It's like inviting yourself over to your friend's house for dinner," he said. "You just don't do that."

:lol: @ "the musical Jedi."

Also Mraz has posted a new journal but it's very, very short. B)

Can you tell that as soon as I come home I go on a search for Mayer news? :unsure: :ph34r:

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:08 pm

<span style='color:purple'>Your our news woman!!!!
Thanks!
</span>

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:18 pm

<span style='color:blue'>:lol: At the Sting sex...he's so right. :lol:

And :yay: for the Crossroads!! I'm not a big Paisley fan, although I've seen him in concert, but I'm mondo excited!! I love that show...esp. Martina McBride & Pat Benetar and the Dixie Chicks and James Taylor. :wub:

Thanks again Claire. :kiss:</span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:05 pm

we're [getting naked] in one of the stalls ...' " He laughs, then continues, "And all your friends will be like, 'Yeeeahh!' Why? 'Cuz it was Sting."
:lol:

i actually ckd what channel cmt is on.....they had the date up somewhere but now i can't remember it :huh:

i don't think i know paisley :ph34r:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:56 am

<span style='color:blue'>He's pretty good. ;) He's married to Kimberly Williams from According to Jim and Father of the Bride. And their story is SO cute! Oh I have to share....^_^

So he and his ex-girlfriend LOVED Father of the Bride and went to see it when it came out in theatres. Well after they broke up, he had bought a ticket to see FOTB part II to see if she'd show up...she didn't. So later later later when asked who he wanted in his video, he said Kimberly Williams b/c he and his old gf loved her. Well, one thing led to another and they fell in love and are living happily ever after...:wub: What a "everything happens for a reason" story huh? :D

And oh! His song "Part II" is about old gf.

And there's the Paisley fact of the day. ;) </span>

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:59 am

<span style='color:blue'>Here are the lyrics. I'm bored. :bored:</span>

<span style='color:midnightblue'>Hollywood never fails to make a sequel
For each and every movie that does well
Why can't love be more like that
Where the best ones get a second chance
And that way though you're gone
It wouldn't be that long ('til)

I'd see you in part two
And we'd pick up where we left off
When I lost you
And we'd fall in love again
And change the way the story ends
Yeah, we'd bring back me and you
In part two

Lookin' back we had so much to look forward to
The kind of love that deserves to be continued
And if this were only Tinseltown
By now they would have figured out
A way for you and I
To give it one more try (and)

I'd see you in part two
And we'd pick up where we left off
When I lost you
And we'd fall in love again
In part two

Yeah, we'd fall in love again
In part two

</span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:38 pm

Aww, :wub:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:48 pm

:confused: ....before bub's paisley fact of the day

:idea: ....after bub's paisley fact of the day

i do know who he is...not really his songs or anything but i did watch their style wedding :)

so what's the date him and john will air?

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:49 am

Did you guys ever see The 10th Kingdom which Kimberly Williams was in?! :unsure:

Here I go again :P ...

Love Chain
March 23 and 24
ETV
7:30pm and 12:30pm ET

The Greatest: 100 Hottest Hotties
March 25, 2004
1:00pm ET
VH1

The Late show with David Letterman
March 29, 2004
11:35pm ET

Late night with Conan O' Brien
April 29 2004
Performing "Clarity"

Today Show
Friday, April 30 2004
3 songs, outdoor performance NBC

I know I get David Letterman, not sure how behind we are here... I won't get to see anything else though. :(
Also reminding you all that Mr Mraz is on American Dreams this Sunday. :nod:

Mayer more than just a pretty face
Singer stuns with his sophisticated pop

JORDAN ZIVITZ
The Gazette

John Mayer, in concert last night, exuded class and soul in spades.

The "kiss me, John" sign held up in the Bell Centre stands last night spoke to one side of John Mayer's appeal. The singer's near-flawless set of sophisticated pop spoke to the other.

Admittedly, if Mayer had been whupped with the ugly stick, it would have taken him longer to make the journey from smoky bars to arenas. But he doesn't overplay his good genes, surely knowing pretty melodies will last longer than a pretty face.

Mayer's melodic gift ensured his show went from strength to strength, with barely a dry patch. It helps that he has become a consummate showman since playing Café Campus less than two years ago, to less than one-10th of last night's 5,300 fans.

The horns that coloured Clarity a cool blue and an effortless falsetto in Why Georgia made Mayer's songs sound more mature than his 26 years would indicate.

But it was hardly a humourless evening: The singer's inner imp surfaced in his banter, as he surveyed the crowd for mischief-makers ("This girl over here trying to get up on her friend's shoulders - I know how it goes. She's got someone next to her singing the wrong words") and toyed with a too-cool fan after declaring his love for the audience. ("You, sir. I see you. You're bad-ass. I love you, too. I love you raw.") Mayer wasn't kidding went he said his life became more fun when he stopped being afraid of the microphone.

Only someone with a strong ego and a stronger streak of self-deprecation could get away with Mayer's tongue-in-cheek request to "give it up for me."

But really, he deserves all the respect he gets, and then some. Mayer writes music that can be enjoyed for its grace and beauty, but he could also stun with his instrumental talent more often if he wanted to. (He made an occasional exception to channel Stevie Ray Vaughan.) Same goes for his band - an ensemble with brains, soul and no desire to blow the audience sky-high with their chops. The songs and the mood were the thing.

Having said that, there were certainly times last night when Mayer strived to break beyond conventional pop. Something's Missing started with a world-beat jam worthy of Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints album, and featured a vocal improv closer to jazz than the top 40 in spirit. After its lovely verse-chorus-verse ran its course, Come Back to Bed spiralled off into bluesy guitar and a spirited brass part.

If there was one thing lacking in Mayer's show - aside from more showcases for the brass players - it was edginess. Bigger Than My Body was a highlight, thanks in no small part to its towering guitar. He has class and soul in spades, but Mayer needs another five or six rockers to round out his repertoire.

Your Body Is a Wonderland was his big bedroom-eyes moment, but it seemed like the equivalent of Radiohead's Creep: a signature song its creator loves less than his audience does. As the band cracked Wonderland open beyond its radio-ready hook, you could see a vision of where Mayer is heading: even closer to a place where a pretty face can't compete with bulletproof talent.

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:37 pm

thanks again claire! i actually wrote it all down this time......

what's better....the songs, guitar playing, his banter and wit, eye sex..... :unsure: um...can i vote for the whole package? :lol:

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:31 pm

^ If you can, I can too! :wub:

Claire, darling!!! :kiss: Where would we all be without you?!

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:05 pm

<span style='color:blue'>Mayer's having a Love Chain?? :o :huh: </span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:07 pm

:shrug: well yeahhhh.....the nay/bubs/katie/tash/claire/katie1/bubs/tash/nay/katie/claire....chain

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:38 pm

^ :rofl: :hug:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:22 pm

<span style='color:blue'>Oh. :huh: That works for me. :D </span>

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:51 pm

<span style='color:purple'>LMAO..I'm not picky...All the time!! I'm in!!!</span>

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:46 pm

^_^ I'm lovin' that love chain. :lol:

Oh, I have more news... there's just no stopping me. :P ('Because once we hit the top there's no stopping us :whistle:...')

Rocker in a pop star's clothing?
01:00 AM EST on Sunday, March 21, 2004

BY RICK MASSIMO
Journal Pop Music Writer

PROVIDENCE -- If you're already under the spell of John Mayer, last night's concert at the Dunkin' Donuts Center kept you in his thrall. If you're a skeptic, it was a while before he showed anything to change your mind, and you left with more questions than answers.

No matter how names he calls himself, no matter how many ugly guitar-solo faces he pulls, the crowd followed Mayer with Beatlemania-style screams, and probably always will. Because so far, his music, with radio hits such as "Your Body is a Wonderland" and the current "Clarity," is a soundtrack for a gentle, earnest seduction. And the seducer, thanks to the videos that are most people's first contact, is Mayer himself.

He predicted that "some reviewer" would write that he lost the crowd with all of his between-song talk, but actually the patter was part of the package. And on last night's songs, the package is important. His breathy voice is serviceable, but it's not strong or wide-ranging enough to take over a ballad, or a string of them. That's the problem with his latest album, Heavier Things, and it was a problem for much of last night.

On a guitar-and percussion ballad such as "Daughters," the nuances of his voice, often overcome by his band, were able to stand out. And "Bigger Than My Body" disguised itself credibly as a rock stomp. But most of the time, last night was a gentle affair -- perfect as a John Mayer commercial, but a snooze for anyone who wasn't with the program.

His first-ever single, "No Such Thing," from his debut, Room for Squares, is still his strongest song -- an up-tempo, loping number with a busy enough arrangement that his cool-water voice is appropriate.

The high point of the night came when Mayer blasted into an instrumental 12-bar traditional blues, then "Come Back to Bed" from Heavier Things. Mayer, a former Berklee College of Music student, is no Stevie Ray Vaughn (whom he's claimed as an influence), but was more than capable. The whole thing was little long, what with Mayer playing one-handed, then behind his back, then laying his guitar on the stage, but it helped make the latter song more of the classic soul ballad it's trying to be, and isn't, on the record.

He gets credit for making such a move -- who in his position even tries to go against type by whipping out a 12-bar? -- but rather than give him a free pass for the rest of the night, it raised the bar. And when he went back into scruffy troubadour mode, it was hard to take.

So, what's Mayer's next move? Will he shoot higher or be just enough of a bad boy to make the girls scream even more? The new, untitled song he unveiled last night shows incremental progress, so we'll see.

The opening act, Guster, was greeted with no small number of screams either. The quartet switched instruments frequently, but was centered on three guitars (one acoustic) and hand percussion. Sounds like a mellow setup, but they played hook-laden pop-rock with strong harmonies and attacked the volume limits of their instrumentation, particularly percussionist Brian Rosenworcel.

John Mayer Schedules Television Appearances on the 'Late Show with David Letterman,' 'Late Night with Conan O'Brien,' & 'CMT Crossroads' Monday March 22, 5:00 am ET
Platinum Album, Heavier Things, To Be Bundled With Bonus Disk Featuring Five Unreleased & Rare Tracks
Mayer Records Remix Of Sly Stone Track With Buddy Guy & Schedules Guest Slot With Blues Legend B.B. King

NEW YORK, March 22 /PRNewswire/ -- The Grammy-winning multi-platinum Aware/Columbia recording artist John Mayer is scheduled to appear on the "Late Show with David Letterman" on March 29 as well as "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" on April 29. In addition, John will pair with the chart-topping Grammy-nominated Grand Ole Opry-inducted country artist Brad Paisley for an upcoming edition of "CMT Crossroads."

Beginning in early April, John Mayer's #1 best-selling album, Heavier Things, will come bundled with a limited edition bonus disk featuring five rare tracks including live versions of "Neon" and "Come Back to Bed"; acoustic and full radio remixes of John's latest hit, "Clarity"; and, for the first time in the United States, a studio recording of John's mesmerizing rendition of Radiohead's "Kid A."

Heavier Things debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 best-selling albums chart the week of its release in September 2003. The album is rapidly approaching the RIAA double platinum mark. John's groundbreaking watershed debut album, Room For Squares, is closing in on the RIAA quadruple platinum mark.

"Clarity," the latest hit single from Heavier Things, has been generating coast-to-coast radio airplay and is a Top 15 record in multiple radio formats including Top 40 Adult, Modern Adult, and AAA.

Following a pair of December dates at New York's Irving Plaza with Buddy Guy, John Mayer has teamed up with the blues legend for a scorching remix of Sly & the Family Stone's "You Can Make It If You Try," slated to appear on an upcoming album of new mixes of classic Sly tracks. "Lord, this kid's another B.B. King!," Buddy Guy told Guitar One magazine (April 2004). "You just never get tired of hearing John play."

Speaking of B.B. King, John will be sitting in with the blues master himself on June 19 and 20 in celebration of the 4th anniversary of the B.B. King Blues Club on New York's fabled 42nd Street.

John Mayer received a Grammy award in 2003 in the Best Male Pop Vocal Performance category for his smash hit, "Your Body Is A Wonderland."

Stay tuned for impending news on John Mayer's upcoming North American summer tour.

Stay tuned for impending news on John Mayer's upcoming North American summer tour.

I think that's meant to be - Stay tuned for impending news on John Mayer's upcoming North Slutville summer tour. :nod:

Also over to Mraz he's posted a new journal entry. :yay: With a great jasonmraz.com/Journal/2004-03.1.jpgpic and the entry starts with 'The best day ever! I love a toilet that flushes with great strength and purpose' :lol: :wub:

Ok I'm done... for now. :P

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:55 pm

Stay tuned for impending news on John Mayer's upcoming North Slutville summer tour

<span style='color:purple'>*sqeals*
Yippee!!!!! I can't wait!!!
</span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:52 pm

Aww, a review of my show! :wub:

And I read the Mraz journal... I thought it was kind of sad... :shrug: But gorgeous as always. And I love the pic, kind of artsy in a way, no? :wub:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG what if I'm away when he comes to Boston? :unsure: Maybe I'll be like Nayer and take a road trip...

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:22 pm

<span style='color:blue'>OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG what if he comes to Oklahoma?? :unsure: :P

I'm SO behind on the Mraz journals. :( :ph34r:

Oh!! I have a GREAT surprise...'nother topic though. :P </span>

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:21 pm

10 000 Lakes Festival
March 23, 2004

Mayer's scheduled to perform at this year's 10 000 Lakes Festival happening July 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Other names include Maroon5, Keller Williams, The Radiators, and more. You may buy tickets here or by phone from 10am-4pm/Monday-Friday at 1-800-493-3378.

Crossroads Guitar Festival
March 23, 2004

John will be performing at the Crossroads Guitar Festival happening from June 4-6. "The concert, which will begin at 1:00 p.m. and continue through Sunday evening will include performances by Eric Clapton and Doyle Bramhall II, Larry Carlton, Robert Cray, Vince Gill, Buddy Guy, David Hidalgo, Eric Johnson, B.B. King, Sonny Landreth, Brian May, John Mayer, Pat Metheny, Otis Rush, Carlos Santana, Neal Schon, Hubert Sumlin, James Taylor, Dan Tyminski, Steve Vai, Jimmie Vaughan, Joe Walsh and ZZ Top. " Read about about this here.

If only... what a guest list. :o

Release of Bonus CD with "Heavier Things", playing with Sting
March 18, 2004

MTV announced yesterday that in the next month there will be a 5-song bonus disc that will be included with his latest CD "Heavier Things". Also, John will be playing a few songs with Sting at his shows later this spring.

I *think* the songs are; a live version of Neon, Kid A, Clarity (radio remix and accoustic) and Come Back To Bed live. :nod:

Also I was checking upcoming tourdates, just in case anything for me is added, and it now has 6/6/04 - Cotton Ball - Dallas, Texas - all star line up.

And in the video section you can now watch Clarity aswell as the making of Clarity, which I am just about to watch. :P

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:39 pm

:yay: that's the one i told you guys nick and i are going to....cept what's weird is when you go for tickets you see that each day is at a different place.....the one at the cotton bowl is sunday which is the date L83 gave when they said john would be performing......so i'm a bit confused....cuz i don't think nick and i will be going to the other two....but what if john is at them and not at sundays.... :unsure: but i wasn't originally going for john :unsure: but we were planning on the three days :unsure: but only cuz we thought it was at one place :unsure: :shrug:

:unsure: ok...we got tickets for sunday, but fri and sat are open to the public at the fair grounds w 3 stages and stuff going on all the time....so we'll probably get tix for sat too :unsure: but leave off fri....cuz i think we'll get there sat :unsure: now nick's friend is coming and sorry but there's no way i'm sharing a room w both guys.... :unsure: so now 2 rms are needed :blink: this is getting confusing......

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:53 pm

<span style='color:blue'>Ew no. Don't share a room w/ two guys.

Heh. Bethcha thought you'd never hear me say that huh? B) </span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:57 pm

Heh. Bethcha thought you'd never hear me say that huh?
:o :lol: nope....took me by surprise

another good reason for two rooms.....if john wants to come back to my room later we'll have privacy... :lol: :huh:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:00 pm

:lick:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:02 pm

:lol:

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:37 pm

^ :rofl:

Nayer you are officially the COOLEST mom ever. :nod:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:27 pm

<span style='color:blue'>My mom went to Woodstock. AND she was on stage w/ Hendrix. :blink: :smokin:</span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:06 pm

My mom went to Woodstock. AND she was on stage w/ Hendrix
:o i knew you're mom had a wild streak....wow, hendrix.....how many people other than musicians get to say they've been on stage w hendrix :headbanger:

Return to “NSYNC”