How Do I Love John Mayer?

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:25 pm

Mayer news. B)

What is it about that average-looking guy who contorts his face when he sings and has too many songs with the word "body" in the title? Once John Mayer straps on a guitar, I'm one of many fans who forget the multiplatinum-selling singer/songwriter is a dork.

I downloaded a few MP3s on the advice of Internet buddies before deciding to catch Mayer's set at CityFest Live! in 2001. He broke two strings and kept jamming that day. I was drawn to the stage.

A month later, I handed Mayer a copy of his independently released "Inside Wants Out" to sign after a show at Amos' Southend. He proclaimed I was "old-school," and I just stared, stammered and waddled away.

I trekked to eight shows in four states and couldn't get enough of the blazing guitar solos that are inexcusably absent from Mayer's studio albums.

Each time, the audience grows in number and decreases in average age. As I push 30, I wonder if I scream like the younger girls in the front row, wearing glitter makeup and homemade T-shirts that say "Marry me, John." It's not their screams, their youth or their better seats I resent, it's the fact I can no longer pick my voice from the deafening crowd.

When I interviewed Mayer for a story in the Observer last year, I outed myself as a fan and proceeded with business as usual. I thought maybe the fad had passed and the show at Verizon last September would be my final hurrah.

The pictures hanging in my cubicle and tickets to Wednesday's concert prove me wrong. From hearing the opening riff of "Neon" to singing along to the unlikely anthem "Why Georgia," a John Mayer concert will always feel like home to me.

-----

Mayer excels at thrilling
By Linda Laban
Sunday, August 22, 2004

It was quite the heartthrob-athon at the Tweeter Center as singer-songwriter John Mayer and soft rockers Maroon 5 performedswooning, mostly mid-tempo sets that were kicked up a notch or two now and then by some rock and blues guitar theatrics.

Rock, pop, whatever you call the middle-of-the road music these two acts perpetrate - it was performed before an almost-sold-out crowd, and one that was heavy with fans of the female persuasion.

Less introspective live, Mayer and his backing band, which included horns and keys, ran through the songs with a seasoned hand. Mayer played up his new reputation as an ax-slinger, turning out long passages of standard rock guitar and pulling god-awful faces at the effort of it.

Who'd have thought the quiet kid would turn out such a noodler?

Mayer was more impressive giving tightly coiled and rusty but soulful vocals on lighter-tuned fare, where he strummed an acoustic guitar.

Even the trite but enthusiastically received ``Your Body Is a Wonderland'' beat out Mayer's standard blues licks displayed on one new number and also on his saunter through Eric Clapton's ``Old Love,'' during which he pulled laughable guitar stunts before switching back to his jam-band troubadour guise.

Playing with a substitute drummer, Maroon 5 rocked up its set, which included swoony-croony hits ``She Will Be Loved,'' ``This Love'' and a rough version of the soul classic ``Ain't No Sunshine,'' before finishing with a party flip through AC/DC's ``Highway to Hell,'' with drummer Ryan Dusick guesting on guitar.

Just a short while later, Maroon 5's ax-slinger, James Valentine, joined Mayer for a jam. Ah, rock's sweet intertwining mysteries.

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:00 pm

:thumbup: Good articles. Thanks for sharing them, Claire! John is just ... ahhhh, wonderful! :wub:

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:41 am

<span style='color:purple'>Woohoo...good times...good times B)

Thanks Claire
</span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:00 am

thanks claire.... :)

Return to “NSYNC”