Maroon 5 Having Identity Problems

mtvjunkie
Abstracts Royalty

Postby mtvjunkie » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:48 pm

orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/orl-ent-maroon5_muco_090104,0,2856258.story?coll=orl-home-entlifehttp://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainme...rl-home-entlife

So much for hopes that the new millennium would be boy-band-free.

Oh, there weren't any choreographed dance routines at the sold-out MTV taping for Maroon 5 on Tuesday 8-31 at Hard Rock Live. There weren't any doo-wop harmonies or cheesy production numbers.

Still, the band's hybrid of funky pop and harder-rocking material (but not too hard, mind you) made it clear why Maroon 5 has sometimes drawn comparisons to 'N Sync. Everything seems so calculated and contrived, even when things threaten to become wild.

In an earlier incarnation, as Kara's Flowers, the Los Angeles band showed promise, with guitar-driven rock in the mold of Weezer. But somewhere along the line, singer Adam Levine began to channel Stevie Wonder in his "I Just Called to Say I Love You" phase. All that was left of the Weezer influence on Tuesday was Levine's geeky-looking brown sweater, which he wore over an untucked white dress shirt and jeans. Unlike Rivers Cuomo, there was no ironic humor to the outfit, which looked like nothing more than a good suggestion from the wardrobe department.

The rest of Maroon 5, bassist Mickey Madden, guitarist James Valentine, keyboardist Jesse Carmichael and drummer Ryan Dusick, were a faceless presence. The band was capable, but lacked the charisma to take these songs above disposable hits.

Levine, however, was pretty much hailed as a sex symbol by the crowd, which was a mix of adolescent fans and thirtysomethings that didn't all appear to be attending in chaperone mode. He makes an odd rock star (or pop star, at times it was hard to tell), with his jerky dance moves and a weird-looking strut that looks like John Cleese doing his Monty Python "silly walk."

Musically, songs such as "This Love," "Harder to Breathe" and "She Will be Loved" are solidly constructed pop confections. With its bouncy chorus, "This Love" would be right at home on a K-Tel teen-pop collection, while "Harder to Breathe" favors the band's capability for guitar-driven rock.

The constant shifts from slick pop ballads such as "She Will be Loved" to the harder stuff gave the hourlong show a schizophrenic quality. The musicianship isn't stellar enough for the transitions to showcase the band's range. Instead, it fuels the notion that Maroon 5 is commercially contrived.

At least it was easy to spot the pattern as the show developed. If Levine picked up his guitar, the band was ready to rock. If he sang with just the microphone, prowling the stage like a poor man's Justin Timberlake, prepare for cutesy pop.

Sometimes, Levine and Valentine jumped out on the runway in front of the stage for a guitar duel in a fog bank. The effect looked ridiculous for a band otherwise so ready to croon. What's really foggy about Maroon 5 is the whether the band will ever settle on a credible musical identity.

uh :confused: when were they ever compared to *NSYNC? :huh:

vickitori303
Supreme Member

Postby vickitori303 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:09 pm

I was there and never once did I think oh my gosh its the new NSYNC. but it is true there were a lot of parents or parents with their kids. It was a great show. you could tell though that the younger kids on;y knew of them because of their singles and not for their whole album which is unfortunate

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:14 pm

They were compared to *NSYNC and I'm sure I remember Bubs's telling us her friend said they sounded like *NSYNC on speed. :lol:

And personally I thought they were amazing live. :P

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:00 pm

^^ :nod: They're awesome live and I've heard a few people say that they think Adam sounds like Justin, but I just don't get that comparison at all. :no:

Return to “NSYNC”