New John Mayer Album ... Yay!

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:48 pm

John Mayer Going Back To The Lab To Get His Music Where He Wants It To Be

Singer/songwriter working on the follow-up to Heavier Things.
by Corey Moss

John Mayer has a lot he wants to change about his music.

"I've got a lot to do," the singer/songwriter said last week. "There's a lot of lab work to do in terms of taking the pop music that I've been known for — which is a great method of delivery, I love pop music — but somehow loading it up with a lot more urgency on the guitar-playing side of things. So I'm just going to be in the lab."

Mayer, who's been touring nonstop since last summer, is taking the rest of the year off (with the exception of a few radio-station holiday festivals) to write and record his follow-up to Heavier Things.

"I'm disassembling the things that have gotten me here and realizing what I do like about it musically and what I don't like about it musically," he said. "I've got a big task because I'm going into my third record, and I'm not where I want to be. There's not as much deviation [in my music] as I wish I could have, but that's the job for my next record."

Along with working on his own material, Mayer is hoping to team up with some of his fans, whether it be Elton John or Kanye West.

"Waiting inside of me, parked and ready to ride, is this collaborative side, the side that can take someone's beat and go, 'Check this out,' hand it back to them, and they go, 'Ooh!' " Mayer said. "There's so much that I can put down on a tape that would support someone else's music. I'm just waiting for someone to call me up. I'm not going to invite myself over to sleep, but if someone wants to call me up and say, 'Hey, are you in New York right now?' I'll push my amp down Fifth Avenue and just see what happens."

In the meantime, Mayer is releasing the third and final single from Heavier Things, the poignant "Daughters."

" 'Daughters' is a song that I wrote on an acoustic guitar in a hotel room, and it was a very simple statement," Mayer explained. "It was written universally to all fathers by way of one girl, and that's important because I don't want people to think it's preaching. I don't like the idea of writing a song that says, 'Now everybody listen to what I gotta tell you.' But it's global out of one singular kind of pain."

The song opens with a verse describing Mayer's love for a woman with issues that he realizes date back to her childhood. "Fathers, be good to your daughters," he sings in the chorus. "Daughters will love like you do."

Mayer just shot a video for the song last week that combines performance footage with close-up shots of a sad woman.

"I felt like getting out of the way of the tune," Mayer said. "Anybody who thinks there should be a story for this song, I don't think that could ever be a success. The song is such a vivid story that the video for me is more like just playing the song. The way that [director] Mario Sorrenti interpreted it is very interesting. It's a '70s/late '60s beatnik kind of thing that I wanted to go after 'cause the song runs the risk of being perceived as kind of a sensitive-singer song, but I think there's a lot more involved in the tunes that I write. Sometimes they get [tagged] as 'strummy strum strum strummy strum strum.' But this has a real sense of urgency, and it's really vibrant."

Along with the new single, Mayer just released four live albums, the As Is series, through iTunes.

"People don't review iTunes records, so it's a nice loophole," Mayer said. "There's incredible scrutiny in the world for artistry, and most of it is bullsh--. This was a way to put out a piece of work that's going straight to the fans and not getting ripped off the assembly line by someone who goes, 'Let me see — I don't like it, and I'm going to tell everybody.' "

This report is from MTV News.

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:36 am

<span style='color:purple'>I just go the new cd from itunes...haven't had a chance to get past the first song though. So exciting cause it commemorates the summer tour that I'll never forget!

Can't wait for the next cd!

THanks for sharing!
</span>

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:04 pm

Geez, I need to get the As/Is cd soon. I went to a show on the summer tour and it was fabulous, so it'd be nice to have that live aspect of the cd to bring back the memories.

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:13 am

I need to hear the AS/IS stuff too, I'm so outta the loop. :blink: But new album... I can't wait to hear what it sounds like because I think I remember reading that he wanted to go back to a more RFS sounding LP after HT was so heavily, no pun intened :lol:, produced... and I'm being way too serious for a teenie, so yay! :yay:

Thanks Paige! :kiss:

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:30 pm

*Teeny squeals*

When I got this article in my email, I did a big teeny squeal, so I can't wait for the album, and he needs to get back on the road NOW. Screw taking a break ... he can sleep when he's dead. :lol:

megzrsa
Supreme Member

Postby megzrsa » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:02 am

:yay: Can't wait!
Who would you like to see him collaborate with? I was thinking a sing with sting would be great, sting has such an amazing voice

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:16 am

Sting would be a nice voice to mix with John's. You know that we all want to hear that song he did with Justin ... that could be either hot or really weird. :lol: Uh, I know John likes Kanye West a lot, so I wonder what those two could do together. :thinking:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:42 am

<span style='color:blue'>Oh please, no. :no:

But who knows? It could turn out like Nelly and Tim. Only difference? I LIKE both of them. :shrug:</span>

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:29 am

Sting is not ALLOWED to collaborate with John. :lol: If it wasn’t for him I would have seen John, I mean come on laryngitis it doesn’t effect the voice… that much. :P

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:32 am

:ph34r: Oh yeah, I forgot about your Sting incident. :heartbreaker: Forget Sting after all. :lol:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:03 pm

aww claire i remember your sting incident.... :hug:

i got the as/is cd and he's got a couple of bluezy songs i really like...i still miss his chit-chatting though :(

wish i could get the others from itunes... :( but i can't :(

miss you all...probably won't get back to the library for another week or so...

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:09 pm

A whole week Nay?! :(

I am SOOO out of the Mayer world right now. I'm going to go root around on Kazaa and see what I can find. I can't stand not having new John. Oh and what I would give for an album more like RFS. :wub:

Sting is a loser. :no: Don't worry Claire, you'll get a piece of the Mayer lovin' some day. :hug:

tendertoes
Supreme Member

Postby tendertoes » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:01 pm

<span style='color:purple'>Hey, looks like I have missed everyone....again. *pouts*
Love the new cd and absolutey love Home Life as he does his little chatting throughout...wanna contact me about the cd Katie??

tendertoes@sympatico.ca

</span>

megzrsa
Supreme Member

Postby megzrsa » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:25 am

:( Claire hun i forgot about Sting ruining your chance of seeing Mayer, we should try get hold of the live songs :nod:

Return to “NSYNC”