March Esquire Column

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:46 pm

Music Lessons
THIS MONTH'S LESSON: Five More Songs of the Year

by John Mayer | Mar 01 '05

I was stunned to learn that I was nominated for Song of the Year at this year's Grammys for my tune "Daughters." There's so much great music out right now. So I've decided to sublet my nomination to five equally deserving songs.

"Float On," Modest Mouse
When I first heard this tune, I thought Mick Jagger had gotten together with Dexy's Midnight Runners. That would've been cool, but no cooler than this perfect little number. This is the kind of song you listen to when you lay out tomorrow's outfit just before bedtime, thinking, Being me is about to get awesome. Too-rye-ay!

"This Love," Maroon 5
I'm surprised this song didn't get nominated, being that it was one of about seven on the radio that actually had a chorus, let alone one strong enough to hold its own next to any song from the last ten years. You might think it's overplayed, but this one is a half-court shot, nothing but net.

"99 Problems," Jay-Z
When Jay-Z came up with the lyric "I got 99 problems, but a b**** ain't one," he probably celebrated at Friday's over an Oreo Madness dessert. Oh, wait, that's what I do. But consider this: Jay is the only mainstream artist brave enough to release a capella versions of his music. The man is not only one of the greatest rappers ever, he shows his work on the back of the test.

"I Don't Wanna Be," Gavin DeGraw
The problem with having Gavin DeGraw shoved down our throats is that he's so good, he didn't have to be. Once you get over the shooting pain of a twisted arm, you realize that this is one badass song with a unique chorus and a nuts-out vocal performance. It's never come on the radio when I didn't want it.

"I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You," Colin Hay
This is without a doubt my favorite song of the year. I'm still trying for a tune like this of my own. It's my favorite kind of ballad, "chin up" sadness that even a cold bastard would get swept away by: "And if I lived till I could no longer climb my stairs/I just don't think I'll ever get over you." No further comments.

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:01 am

here's something i found on jjb where john talks about where the inspiraton for dauhters came from.....

Mayer wrote the song while on a tour of Australia, all the while trying to fix a relationship that couldn't be fixed. The frustration of being far away and trying to make it work over the phone led to the song's creation.

"'Daughters' is the most autobiographical song I've ever written," Mayer said. "It's about a girl that I fell absolutely in love with, but who was fundamentally kind of broken emotionally. I had never encountered that before.

"As much as I tried and as much metaphorical blood I has on my hands from trying to perform so many emotional surgeries

and constantly breaking my own heart with it

eventually you realize it's not about her anymore. I remember I was like 'I hate your dad. I hate whatever happened to you that really kind of paralyzed you.

"I was on the road trying constantly to get the situation to work because if I could get it to work, I knew I'd be with it forever. [But] it was like trying to Scotch tape a brick to a wall. It's just not going to happen.

"It's a guy in a moment of desperation trying to figure out how to make something work and pointing fingers where he shouldn't point fingers."

The song took on a life of its own, with Mayer marveling at the different ways people have perceived the song's meaning.

wonder if he's referring to ms jennifer....

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:54 pm

wonder if he's referring to ms jennifer....

i had that same thought. :thinking: but according to the e! true hollywood story about her and the love chain thing they did, it didn't work out because he didn't want to be distracted by a relationship while his career was taking off. but who knows? :shrug:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:13 pm

oh..i never saw that....then there's split screen sadness that's suppose to be about her and even though he says it was him that ended it it sounds like he tried to keep things going...wasn't she hanging up on him and all in the song...i can't remember now :lol:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:37 am

:whistle: And I know it was me who called it over but I still wish you'd fought me 'til your dying day, don't let me get away... :lol:

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:56 pm

^^ :nod:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:55 pm

:( i've been listening to a lot of older live john cd's and i swear my heart gave a little tug when i heard those old sounds and lyrics....lifelines and in your atmosphere, st patricks day....as the amt of his songs increase we hear less and less of the old ones at shows....now i'm just sad :( how'd that happen?

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:56 pm

he's evolving i guess... isn't that what artists say? :rolleyes: :lol: i miss the old john stuff too. maybe he's just departing from it for a little while and he'll find his way back to the old sound. :shrug: i dunno. :huh:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:51 am

<span style='color:blue'>Well I've finally grasped the fact that I'll probably NEVER hear "Comfortable" live. <_< It's probably that song that he wishes he never wrote because everyone and their freakin' dog loves it and begs and begs for him to play. That sucks. :lol: Why can't my fave be some song like, Neon (which was actually my first fave lol) which is kinda like 3% of his fans fave?

I don't think I'm making sense anymore. I'm putting in RFS. ;)

Did I tell you that my old roommate gave me my present?? It wasn't a t-shirt, but a pink JM hat!!!!! I love it!!! :D </span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:23 am

Bubs. Whatever you do DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE. I thought my chances of hearing Comfortable live were non-existent. And then, on a warm summers night, August 22, 2004... it happened. Comfortable. Just John and his guitar. :wub:

I miss John's old stuff too. The second Nay said "Lifelines" I had to put it on. I think that's my all time fave. And "Love Soon." :wub: Although, I really like some of the new stuff... Homelife, Splitscreen...

:blink: Who am I kidding? I love it all.

Back to the orginal topic. :P "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" is an AMAZING song. I listen to it ALL the FREAKING time. If you haven't heard it, you're missing out.

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:30 pm

<span style='color:blue'>I'm downloading it now... :D

And I cant' STAND Gavin Degraw. Maybe if I heard something else, but I think his voice is burnt out for me. :blink: </span>

lancechica4
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancechica4 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:59 pm

:huh: Oh, I really like Gavin. But maybe that's because I was listening to him before he was on the radio (with imo, the worst song on his album). It's overplayed and annoying though... even I change the station when it comes on now. :shrug:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:07 pm

<span style='color:blue'>I remember you talking about him. Then sometime last year one of my friends said something about him and I asked her to burn his CD. THEN he came out and I decided I didn't want it. :lol: But if it's the worst... :thinking:

GO READ MY JOHN FIC!!! :yell: It's on the Fan Fic board. :D </span>

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:49 pm

Oh! I totally LOVE Gavin DeGraw! :lol:

That's funny you should think it's the worst... because now I always skip it! I think I like him because a lot of his lyrics have really suited the situations I've been in recently but I still think he's worth checking out. :nod: Especially Just Friends, Meaning and Crush. :wub:

So who else here likes The Killers? :unsure:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:18 pm

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </span></span> :o

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:49 pm

justins bubbles wrote: <span style='color:blue'>
GO READ MY JOHN FIC!!! :yell: It's on the Fan Fic board. :D </span>

OMG! thank YOU!!!!!!! :sprint: going there now!!! :yay:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:59 am

i loved your john fic bubs! i emailed you but i'm not sure if you got it cuz we ended up w a virus....anyway, i loved the whole 'comfortable' bits in it....

i know what you guys mean about being able to hear certain songs that you love by him anymore....he'd have to start making his shows a lot longer to fit in some of the old time favorites that we don't hear anymore....i only heard covered in rain once and that's one that i always hope he'll play.....oh katie....i love 'love soon' too.....

i got gavins cd before i was hearing him on the radio too....then sammy took it and i don't know where it is :huh: but there were a couple i really liked a lot.....

know who i'm so in love w now? robert randolph :) .....he's got the most adorable smile and i've got to make a separate post to tell you guys about one of the best nights at a show i've had..... :lol: this is the second time i've kinda mentioned this and each time i've had to get off the computer before i write 'my short story' about it....... :ph34r: sorry

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:44 am

i'm definitely gonna check out the adorable smile guy! :P

i miss john. :( i'm ready for another tour. and another album. but that's obviously not happening soon. :mellow: do you want to know just how john lonely and lame i am??? i was going thru all these fliers we got about lawn companies (cuz with jason working so much, he can't keep up with it all and my grass allergies are horrific) and i picked one and booked the guy cuz his name was greg MAYER. :lol: :lol: how dumb am i??? :lol:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:49 am

:lol: then call me dumb too cuz i totally get it...

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:00 am

renee wrote: :lol: then call me dumb too cuz i totally get it...

:rofl: :rofl: i KNEW you would understand!! :hug:

hey... this is o/t, but have you seen "the notebook" yet... with that cutie pie... what's his name... oh crap... ryan something... ryan gosling! (:rolleyes: i just had a senior moment) i'm so going to buy that. i haven't cried that hard over a movie since "steel magnolias." :cry: :cry:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:07 am

omg i read the book years ago and cried so when the movie came out i was first in line...ryan was so adorable in the movie....sammy and i ran out and bought the movie as soon as it came out....it's a heart tugger one for sure

Return to “NSYNC”