Harry Potter

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:18 am

well, only 17 days to go! :yay:

i've already reserved a copy and i'm gonna pick it up on July 16th (too bad there are no midnight releases here :lol: ).
how about you guys? aren't you excited? :P

:wave:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:44 am

Excited? Meh. :shrug:

I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! :lol: Though, I've heard someone gets killed off in this one too! She killed off my FAVOURITE character last time. <_< I'm scurred! But I really can't wait, I read them all, like 10 times, for the run up to this one so that I'd remember what all had happened. :lol: And, I wonder who the half-blood prince will be? :huh:

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:42 am

sheesh, i thought you were serious. :rofl:

i've been re-reading as well, i'm in Book 5 now. :lol:
i haven't got any clue what'll happen next in the series and that's what makes it exciting. :nod:

i hope they kick voldemort's a** this time. ;)

She killed off my FAVOURITE character last time.  I'm scurred!

^ well i'm quite sure he won't die again in Book 6. :lol: :P

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:35 am

:ph34r: i'm always behind...only halfway thru #4 so i've never been able to get that excitement everyone else does when a new book comes out...

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:31 pm

Aww, you'll catch up! My mum has yet to read book 4 and she gets all the plots and characters mixed up, so she's going to have to start right back at the beginning or just cheat and rent the movies. :lol:

Where's Bubs? I thought she'd be all over this! :lol: Only 15 days to go! Ahh! :crazyjump:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:40 pm

:lol: so far i've been able to keep most of the plots and characters in order...maybe the movies i see after each book help...but #4's getting good now...not that it wasn't good before, but i just knew something major was coming out of all the little hints and now i think the story's on it's way.....

bubs is now officially part of the working gals of this world...and she's soooo busy at work they don't let her get near the computer :lol: :huh: which actually means 'i wonder why she isn't on here constantly'....

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:16 pm

^ unless they blocked Abs in the office or somethin.. :huh: :lol:

don't worry nay, you can look at it this way: you wouldn't have to feel the frustration of having to wait for the next book to come out. :nod:

i think that's a far better situation to be in. :D
btw, for me Book 4 is the best one so far.

where are the Katies? :unsure:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:53 pm

yeah i've heard a few people say #4 was their favorite..and today i was so into reading it that i hated the fact that i had to put it down to get things done...in fact i can't wait to curl up in bed and pick up where i left off :)

:( i don't know where the katies are...well i think k2 might be at camp, but i haven't seen k1 in awhile either...i know she's really busy being a mom though :)

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:44 am

Hopefully they'll drop by soon to say hi! :wave:

I think #3 is still my favourite, I love Sirius! #4 and #5 are up there too, though it took me a while to get into #5 but the second time I read it I liked it a lot more and now I've read it like 20 times. :lol:

I just pre-ordered the 2 copies of #6 for me and my sister, I can't wait... SIX DAYS!!! :crazyjump: It's really cheap on amazon too, the books are pretty much half price!

Can't wait til you've finished Nay to hear what you think! And then we'll all get to see the movie in November!

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:37 pm

it took me a while to get into #5 but the second time I read it I liked it a lot more and now I've read it like 20 times.
:o :lol: i don't think i've ever read a book twice let alone 20 times!..think cuz it takes me so long to read any book...i don't think you're suppose to get into every little word and that's what i do...can't seem to break the habit :(

oh i'm really liking #4...but i'm only on ch. 22...getting there....slowly....very slowly...and i'm so anxious to see what the other challenges are going to be and who's in cahoots with "you know who"...think i've got some ideas on that though ;)

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:41 am

^ me too. i read too slowly. well, mainly because i only read before i go to sleep. took me 3 months to finish the 5th one. :lol:

and i do agree that book 5 need some getting used to. :nod:

1 day to go!! :crazyjump:
oops, sorry nay. :ph34r: :D

well i think k2 might be at camp, but i haven't seen k1 in awhile either...i know she's really busy being a mom though

^ i just hope they have a very harry weekend this weekend.
ugh, how lame of me. :lol:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:36 pm

The sad thing is though think of all the other great books I could have read while I was reading #5 20 times over. :lol: And for the record they're the only books I'll read more than twice. :P Three months... and I thought I was a slow reader!

i just hope they have a very harry weekend this weekend.
ugh, how lame of me.

Oh dear. :rofl:

Oh and... I can't wait!!! I saw a big billboard for it today so I took a picture of it, I'm cool :lol: ...

Is everybody just reading HP right now? I've been reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown while waiting for #6 to come out, it's really good. :nod:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:46 pm

I've heard angels and demons was good....is he the author of davinci code? cuz i know i've read something of his before :unsure:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:09 am

Yeah he is! :nod: I loved the Da Vinci Code so I figured I'd love A&D too, and so far so good! I'm getting totally transported with this one. I only wish I'd bought it sooner. :lol: Does anyone know when the Da Vinci Code film is supposed to come out?

I wonder if anything exciting is happening tomorrow? Hmm. Oh yeah. HARRY POTTER!!!!! :P It should be delievered to my doorstep tomorrow morning. I read they had to get 1, 500 more postal vans here to deal with all the Harry Potter pre-orders! :lol:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:27 pm

Does anyone know when the Da Vinci Code film is supposed to come out?
:shrug: i know the cast has been picked, but i don't think they've begun filming yet...so i'd guess sometime in 2006?

:( i feel left out of the harry potter excitement for tomorrow

did you see they've got a hp dvd trivia board game?

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:17 pm

renee wrote::( i feel left out of the harry potter excitement for tomorrow

did you see they've got a hp dvd trivia board game?

Aww Nay! I'm sorry. :hug:

No I haven't! I did play Harry Potter Cludedo once though. :lol:

Well. Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince has left me speechless, it may just be my new HP favourite. I just finished it and other than that, I'm lost for words.

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:18 pm

it looks like JK did a great job on this one. i'm really liking it so far.
being the slow reader that i am, i just finished chapter 5. :D

hmm.. i think this might be a tough contender for Book 4. :nod:

"Mollywobbles." LMAO. :rofl:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:42 pm

tennman wrote:"Mollywobbles." LMAO. :rofl:

Yes!!! :rofl:

I hope you love it! I have a total love hate/relationship with it. :lol:

Incidentally guess whose house I walked by this afternoon? Madame Rowling's, she wasn't in though. :P

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:11 pm

<span style='color:blue'>I haven't finished yet! :o I know! I know! So... I didn't look at anything. Just telling you so you don't think I disappeared. Although I should and finish! :lol:</span>

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:07 am

^ that's nice to hear; although i assure you that this is a spoiler free thread. :D

i haven't finished as well. it should take me several days more. :lol:
and i'm definitely loving it, that book. ;)

i think it's ok to post this.. felix felicis (a potion in the book), means felix the cat. it's a potion for luck - cats are lucky coz they have nine lives. funny huh, how JK thinks up names for spells/ potions/ people? :lol:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:43 am

just returned from out of town....took my book on the plane...did i read any?..no....thought i'd have a wk to relax w hp4 in hand...did i? no....flew back home with book by my side...did i open it? no....what is wrong with me? :huh: i'm so anxious to finish it, get to book 5, and finally be able to talk about 6.....uh, will everyone be around for that conversation in 2010? <_<

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:15 am

<span style='color:blue'>:laughup: I finished today... can't wait to discuss!!

I was thinking of making my own HP board game while I wait for them to make a Trivial Pursuit! :lol:

Angels & Demon's is one of my favorite books ever! I picked it up because I wanted to read The Da Vinci Codes, but my cousin told me to get A&D first, so I did and now I have yet to read TDVC! :lol: And that was almost 2 years ago! :no:

A little random, but The Cell is the wierdest movie I have ever seen. :blink: :unsure: </span>

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:37 am

I can't wait to talk to you about it! Ahh! :o

I don't want you to feel left out though Nay. Speed reading, you can do it! :lol:

Where are you now Tenn?

Read TDVC! I think I like Angels & Demons better, though that might be because I read TDVC a year ago, but it's still worth the read. Do it!!! :P

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:52 pm

Speed reading, you can do it!
:huh:

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:41 pm

^ i'm in chapter 21 i think. just around 150 pages more. *should* finish it today. :D

uh, will everyone be around for that conversation in 2010?

^ well i hope so. :shrug: :lol:

i also want to read Da Vinci Code. but next in my reading list is Artemis Fowl: Opal Deception. :nod:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:04 pm

:P well i've creeped into chapter 23....

150 pages? tenn :cry: i think i'm reading challenged....i just can't find the quiet time to sit long enough to read much...that's my story and i'm stick'n to it ;)

i really want to get to hp5 next..but angels and demons is the one i think i'll end up with....

gonna ck out Artemis Fowl: Opal Deception..i haven't heard of it....

does anyone else think it's funny that i'm planning all my next books when i've been on one book all summer?

:shrug:

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:48 am

^ nay, Opal Deception is actually the 4th book in the Artemis Fowl series. so you might want to check out the previous books. :D

just to give you a bit of an introduction: Artemis Fowl is no ordinary boy - at such a young age, he's already a criminal mastermind. at one point, he tried to kidnap a fairy police officer for ransom. eversince that incident, his life had been connected with the fairies (including a dwarf, and a centaur).

it's a bit HPish, but not quite. confusing huh? :lol:
but i'd say the series is really good. the 3rd one is the best by far.

at least you'll know what books you'll read next: might give you more of a push. :P and there's no harm in planning i guess.

and really, HP is quite an exception for me in reading. i rarely read during the day/ afternoon. but yesterday, i read the whole day. i only stopped to eat or go to the restroom. :lol:

woo hoo! i finished the book today! :yay:

well.. on second thought.. :(
maybe we can have another thread to discuss the book in its entirety. :nod:
claire? JNB? :yell: :D

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:51 pm

I love Artemis Fowl! They were making a movie of it but it got postponed. :huh:

I finished the Opal Deception a couple months back but I didn't buy if for ages, I don't why but I thought the third one was the last. Now I'm hearing rumours of a fifth book!

Same for me. It took me longer to read Angels & Demons than it did with HP #6. I just don't stop when I read Harry Potter. :lol:

Least you still have three HP's left Nay, I'm sad there's just one left! :(

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:14 pm

^ yeah, i thought the 3rd one was the last one too. but hey, i can't complain. :lol:

JK did an interview about HBP, it's quite long. you can check it out here:
http://the-leaky-cauldron.orghttp://the-leaky-cauldron.org :D

ahh!! still 2 years before HP7!! :crazy:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:22 pm

Least you still have three HP's left Nay, I'm sad there's just one left!
:hug: admit it, you're trying to make me feel better....

^ nay, Opal Deception is actually the 4th book in the Artemis Fowl series. so you might want to check out the previous books.
:no: another series..... :sick: don't feel so well now....but i like the storyline you wrote out :)

ahh!! still 2 years before HP7!!
:) i can tell you all now...that by the time 7 comes out i'm gonna be waiting in line, all caught up, and ready to read! :P

there's another book i want to read.... :lol: but now i can't remember the name or author...it's a story about a dragon and was written by some boy? sound familiar to anyone? :lol: it's thick and has a blue cover....

i'm on ch. 26 :strong: of hp4.... :bootyshake: stop..i know you're impressed :lol:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:50 am

<span style='color:blue'>Nay, I think you're talking about Eragon. I believe that's a whole series too. My sister just picked it up last week.

I'm up for an HBP discussion thread! Let's go!</span>

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:10 pm

:P yep that's it...eragon....thanks bubs!

is it a series? is eragon the first one then?...these series are killin me..i need to take a speed reading class :huh:

hey! i'm on the last chapter of hp4!!!! now...should i take a break and read another book and then go back to hp5 or go right into 5?

all of a sudden there are so many books i want to read....

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:00 am

eragon.. i see that book (in the bookstore i mean) all the time. :lol:
'twas written by christopher paolini right? well i'll put that in my future reading list.

EDIT: ok, i've done some searching and yes - eragon is the first book of the "inheritance" trilogy. and apparently, eragon is a boy. i thought that was the name of the dragon. :lol:

someone in here recommended (alas, another series nay :no:) "sabriel" by garth nix. i think it's sort of like lord of the rings, the setting is medieval/ magical or something. the sequels are "lirael" and "abhorsen."

"a series of unfortunate events" (lemony snicket) is also quite good, however i only got the first book because i think the books are way too short for its price :lol:. a movie came out last year i think (starring no less than jim carrey :D ) - too bad i haven't seen it yet. <_<

remember the book reading thing you guys started last time? i still haven't read that book, seabiscuit. i should rent the movie. :lol:

hey! i'm on the last chapter of hp4!!!! now...should i take a break and read another book and then go back to hp5 or go right into 5?

^ congratulations! :yay: :party:
i suggest you skip book 5 and go right into book 6. just kidding. :P

some people tend to forget what happened in the previous books so they read them all over again in order to refresh their memory (well, i'm kinda like that) - so if you don't wanna do that better continue with HP. :)

but of course if you want some variety, you can start with another series perhaps. ;)

I'm up for an HBP discussion thread! Let's go!

^ ok, i'll make one right now! :sprint:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:00 am

someone in here recommended (alas, another series nay ) "sabriel" by garth nix.

That was me! :P He has another series too which is a little more kiddie, but I still like it. :lol: I think if you like Harry Potter/Artemis Fowl-ish books you'll like his stuff. You should check out his site. :nod:

I started the first book of Unfortunate Events but I never finished it. I'll have to start up again but like you said they aren't cheap and there's like 13 of them! :blink:

I thought Eragon was a dragon too Tenn. :lol:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:24 pm

:lol: my head is..a...spinnin

i'm really into the hp stuff now so i might just go on to 5 and i've got all the other series written down...i've gotta organize myself now and get reading...thanks for all the suggestions....esp to skip 5 and go right into 6 tenn :lol:

i thought eragon was the dragon too!

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:36 pm

more info about eragon:
When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands. . . .

i read paolini isn't exactly a boy, he was 19 when eragon was first published. :D
and the dragon is named saphira or something (so, it's a girl dragon.. :lol: ).

That was me!

^ sorry i forgot. thank you! :P

my head is..a...spinnin

^ :lol: yeah i know. so many books, so little time (and money!!). <_<

but guess what? i've been to the bookstore yesterday and i saw another book series! :lol:

Bartimaeus Trilogy - this is more like HP because it's about a boy wizard as well, and he's in the wizard government.. he has a shape-shifter assistant.. actually i don't know much about it but i saw that it was a best-seller and it seems pretty interesting (books 1 & 2 are out, dunno 'bout the 3rd one).

so.. i'm updating my "Future Reading List" (also called my "Books to Read Before HP7 Comes Out List"):

1. Artemis Fowl 4: Opal Deception
2. The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Trilogy 1) - hope i got the title right
3. Eragon (Inheritance Trilogy 1)

i also wanna check out:

4. Sabriel
5. Da Vinci Code (i have a feeling it'll be a looong time before i read this one)
6. The Spook's Apprentice (however, this one's sort of scary - warlock stuff.. i'm not yet sure if i really wanna read this :unsure: )

movies to rent (coz i can't read the books anymore :lol: ):

1. A Series of Unfortunate Events
2. Seabiscuit

speaking of movies, i saw charlie & the chocolate factory yesterday. great film. :D and monster-in-law, hella funny. :thumbup:

whoa, i tend to make long posts. :ph34r:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:02 am

tennman wrote:The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Trilogy 1) - hope i got the title right

I'm reading that! :lol: I have the first two, but I'm still on book one.

The Spook's Apprentice

I've read that too! :lol: It's nice and short too. :P The new one is out soon I think.

I'll have to check out Eragon once I'm done with the Bartimaeus Trilogy. I think it's going to take me a while because it drives me crazy with its footnotes. :wacko:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:46 am

:huh: my list just got longer...but i finished hp4! :)

i really want to read 'undomestic goddess' too...i loved the shopaholic books and i'm able to buzz thru them quickly...

tenn i really liked da vinci code and believe it or not it didn't take me long to read it...so if you compare my reading to yours i think you could get thru it in about 15 min's

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:08 am

renee wrote::huh: my list just got longer...but i finished hp4! :)

:yay:

HP4 discussion thread time, me thinks! :P

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:33 am

:P me agrees...

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:33 pm

actually i just realized that "the spooks apprentice" shouldn't *really* be scary. :lol: the sequel is already out, it's called "the spook's curse." and yeah, it's kinda short.

well i saw another one, "the shadowmancer" (this one's not a series though). darker stuff, i think.

tenn i really liked da vinci code and believe it or not it didn't take me long to read it...so if you compare my reading to yours i think you could get thru it in about 15 min's

^ :lol: no, i mean it keeps getting bumped down my list because i keep on finding more books. :D

I'm reading that!
I've read that too!

^ now that's creepy. j/k :P :lol:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:58 am

no, i mean it keeps getting bumped down my list because i keep on finding more books.  
:ph34r: oh :lol:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:15 am

tennman wrote:
I'm reading that!
I've read that too!

^ now that's creepy. j/k :P :lol:

Want to know what's even more creepy? I have Shadowmancer and another one by him called Wormwood. :lol:

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:44 am

*pulls hair* :crazy: :lol: :P

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:33 pm

hellooo people. :D

yay, i'm halfway into the Amulet of Samarkand. great book. :nod:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:22 pm

:huh: well i'm still on hp 5....only a quarter of the way thru....but i love reading it right after 4 cuz i have a better memory that way :unsure:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:56 am

tennman wrote:yay, i'm halfway into the Amulet of Samarkand. great book. :nod:

Then you're way ahead of me. I forgot where I was so I'm going to have to start all over. :lol:

I'm reading another book by Eoin Colfer, same guy who wrote Artemis Fowl, called the Supernaturalist, it's pretty good.

See! In no time you'll be done with 5 and onto 6! :P Speaking of #6, I'm going to have to read it again or I won't be able to join in the discussion, I've forgotten so much already. :lol:

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:40 pm

i forgot to say, i love the footnotes. :P

I'm reading another book by Eoin Colfer, same guy who wrote Artemis Fowl, called the Supernaturalist, it's pretty good.

^ HA! i've read that. :lol: :lol:
it's quite ok. it seems to be a series too, but there are no sequels at the moment. have you read "The Wish List" (by Colfer as well)? i haven't yet; again it's fairly short (and that's a problem, lol).

i'm still on hp 5....only a quarter of the way thru....

^ well that's saying much actually considering its length. :D

I saw more books! :ph34r:
Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind - it looks LOTR-ish.. well, if you like that kind of stuff - i'm afraid it might be boring
The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - now this is more like it. it's longer than Order of the Phoenix (never thought that was possible), and from the reviews i can see that it's funny and amusing. there are about 5 stories in there.

me too - i've forgotten most of the things in Book 6 already. but someone borrowed my copy. i think i can find one in Limewire though. :lol:

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:34 am

tennman wrote:

^ HA! i've read that. :lol: :lol:

Whatever. <_<

:lol:

I didn't know it was series though!

I saw the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie and got the second book free. :P

I just got another book by Garth Nix, author of Sabriel et al, called The Ragwitch. Beat that! :lol:

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:27 am

I didn't know it was series though!

^ i only guessed because of the ending. :D

well i'm almost through with Bartimaeus 1. :P

and i've read Bag of Bones (a long time ago) by Stephen King and i don't think i understood it. :lol:

and A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine (sp?) L'Engle. and about two dozen Goosebumps titles.. :ph34r:

:rofl:

Return to “NSYNC”