Hbp Discussion Thread!

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:29 am

howdy! :lol:

as we have already finished all 652 pages and 30 chapters (hope i got that right) of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, let's now proceed with the discussion. :D

what do you think of these questions:
1. is snape really evil? (that git <_< )
2. is dumbledore still alive? (honestly i'm surprised there are so many theories coming out about this, some really absurd.. sad as it maybe, i think he's done for :( )

and oh - i've come across this theory that harry could be a horcrux.. wtf? :blink:

EDIT: if you haven't read JK Rowling's interview about HBP, you can read it the-leaky-cauldron.org/extras/aa-jointerview1.htmlhere (that's part 1 of 3).

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:21 am

Ok... lets do this! :lol:

1. I'm still undecided about Snape. You never know with JK so I'm just waiting to see what happens. It really could go either way.

Here's my essay. Malfoy's mother and Snape made a pact and Draco was obviously having difficulting trying to kill Dumbledore so Snape had to "help" him as perhaps the vow would have been broken and he would have died. Maybe Dumbledore had plans for Snape and he'd have been no used to him dead. Then there's also the idea that Malfoy could still be saved in Dumbledore eyes, as he can always see the good in people i.e Snape, and Malfoy did lower his wand. Voldemort seemed set on the idea that it should be Draco that should end Dumbledore but if he couldn't do, as he couldn't in the end and if Snape hadn't the other death eaters would have. Dumbledore is Voldermort's biggest enemy, apart from Harry, the death eaters would probably have tourted a man that seemed to be dying already, so perhaps Snape did him a kindess by making it quick. Still, seemed no way for someone like him to die though. Though Dumbledore said to Harry he doesn't often make mistakes but when he does they tend to have massive consequences. So perhaps he made a mistake trusting Snape.

Or, as you say, Snape could really be just an evil git. :lol:

2. I think Dumbledore is gone for good. :(

I don't think Harry is Horcrux. All Horcrux's have to be destroyed, right? :unsure:

3. Who is RAB? Everyone has come to same conculsion: Sirius' brother. What do you all think?

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:27 pm

:cry: can't read these posts or join in...a sad day

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:29 pm

Aww Nay. I say we find a really short book that we can all read quickly and have a nice heated discussion on! :P

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:35 pm

:cry: o...k

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:18 pm

^ hey, we can have a Book 4 discussion thread too. since the movie's coming out soon, it'll be timely. :D what do you guys think? :P

i agree that it could go either way. maybe JK Rowling is pulling another "sorcerer's stone" and she's making us think snape is really evil when he's still a good guy after all.

yeah, they're all saying he's regulus black. pretty reasonable guess. JK said so herself. :nod:

i think this has to be the funniest book yet. so many laugh out loud moments.
"won-won!" :rofl:

and what are your favorite spells/ potions/ whatnot in the book? mine:
sectumsempra - served draco right. :nana:
felix felicis - really quite handy.

JT Fan Girl
Supreme Member

Postby JT Fan Girl » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:10 am

renee wrote::cry: o...k

Least... well... you get to see John! :P

sectumsempra - served draco right.

That was scary! :huh:

I agree, so many funny bits. I LOVED all the relationships that popped up all over the place too. :lol:

renee
Abstracts Royalty

Postby renee » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:34 am

:shrug: i'm up for a hp4 discussion....cuz i actually have one question about it that's been on my mind for awhile...

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:19 pm

yeah, it was scary. :ph34r:
well, until "the lightning struck tower." after that, i felt ok about the spell. :lol:

tonks and lupin?! that was one helluva surprise. :rofl:

should we do it, um per chapter? :unsure:

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:51 pm

<span style='color:blue'>Have to make this quick, but here's what I think!

Snape is still good. He would have HAD to tell Dumbledore about Voldy's plan, so DD surely knew it was coming. Also, Snape kept telling Harry in order to use the unforgiveable curses, you have to really mean it. There is no way Snape could have meant to kill Dumbledore. :shrug: I really thought Malfoy would turn good in this one... But I guess there's still time.

And I think that DD apparated out of that tomb. :no: Even though you can't inside Hogwart's, he was taking all of those protection charms off as he and Harry flew through.

Through all of this, I think Snape is my new fave character. :ph34r: But mainly because of Alan Rickman! :wub: :lol: I don't want Snape to be bad b/c it will cause me to hate AR. lol</span>

tennman
Supreme Member

Postby tennman » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:41 am

^ i visualize him as snape too, he's perfect. better than grandpre's illustration.

i thought rufus scrimgeour would play a big role in the book. and i thought wrong. he's just fudge part 2. <_<

anyways, chapter titles:

1. The Other Minister
2. Spinner's End
3. Will and Won't
4. Horace Slughorn
5. An Excess of Phlegm
6. Draco's Detour
7. The Slug Club
8. Snape Victorious
9. The Half-Blood Prince
10. The House of Gaunt
11. Hermione's Helping Hand