Ja Rule Cleans Up Act For Jamaicans...

Miss Moon
Supreme Member

Postby Miss Moon » Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:42 pm

07.31.2002 3:31 PM EDT
mtv.com/news/articles/1456380/20020731/ja_rule.jhtml?headlines=truehttp://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1456380/2...?headlines=true

Maybe Ja Rule should follow former rap maven Mase's credo — "I do what I do, but I do it like I'm doing it for TV" — next time he's performing in Jamaica.

Rule's tendency for flinging four-letter words onstage has landed him in the disfavor of Caribbean authorities. After a curse-laced set at last year's Reggae Sumfest, Ja was issued summons for charges of indecent language. He was supposed to face the music in a Montego Bay court on Monday but never appeared.

A spokesperson for the Montego Bay magistrate said an arrest warrant could be issued for his failure to show. Those found guilty of the indiscretion face up to 10 days in jail or a fine of up to $4,000 Jamaican dollars (roughly $83 U.S. dollars).

As of Wednesday morning (July 31), however, Montego Bay police said no warrant had been issued for the crooning MC. Ja was in Jamaica this past weekend, returning to the scene of the crime for a performance at Reggae Sumfest 2002.

"I've been hearing a lot about it during the last year," Ja said Saturday at a press conference before his show, which featured his Murder Inc. family. "Last year I think there was even a rumor that I was locked up. I didn't know it was that big of a problem. I tried to keep the profanity down last year as much as I could. This is hip-hop — if one slips out here and there, I'm sorry if I offended anybody, but it's not done purposely. I'm sorry."

Having learned his lesson, Rule kept the cussin' down to a minimum this year, letting only a couple slip out. "Y'all ready to get this sh-- started?" he asked the audience upon entering the stage. And toward the end of his set, he asked, "What's my muthaf---in' name?" to start "I'm Real."

Meanwhile, Ja continues to explore the curse-friendly arena of motion pictures. He said his next film, "Half Past Dead" with Steven Seagal, is set to open November 15. Rule previously told MTV News that he was in talks to appear in "Charlie's Angels 2" and a sequel to the Vin Diesel sci-fi flick "Pitch Black." Like Diesel, Rule said he won't be reprising his role in a sequel to "The Fast and Furious."

The Queens native also said Murder Inc. plans to remake the 1981 French film "Diva," about an obsessed Parisian mail courier who makes a bootleg tape of an American singer's opera performance. The mailman goes on to tangle with the mob and a crooked politician when his recording is switched with a surveillance tape.

"It's real great story," Rule said. "It's good cinema. I don't think it's been brought to y'all like this from a record label such as ourselves. We're trying to do different things. The gangster movies have been done, so we're doing something real different. I hope y'all enjoy it."

A spokesperson for Murder Inc. had no comment.

—Shaheem Reid, with additional reporting by Curtis Waller

For more on Ja Rule, check out the MTV News Archive

Return to “Ja Rule”