Let's Hear It For The Quiet One

mtvjunkie
Abstracts Royalty

Postby mtvjunkie » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:53 am

telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2004/06/10/bmchas10.xmlarticle here

Let's hear it for the quiet one
(Filed: 10/06/2004)

JC Chasez has emerged from the shadow of his former *NSync band-mate Justin Timberlake with an album that is defiantly his own. He talks to Bryony Gordon

JC Chasez was, by his own admission, the quietest member of *NSync. When the biggest-selling boy band in the world split up to pursue solo careers two years ago, one of them, Justin Timberlake, went on to become the most famous pop star on the planet. Another became a Broadway actor, a third a successful songwriter, while a fourth decided to try and take a trip into space. Chasez, by contrast, took a much less ambitious journey back home to Florida, where he decided to relax with family and friends.

JC Chasez: 'I'm not into doing what everybody else is doing'

"I needed a break," he says, sinking into his chair. "I wanted time to chill. I'm a mellow guy, you know?"

Earlier this year the 27-year-old Chasez finally came up with his debut solo album. Its title, Schizophrenic, hints at the eclectic sound of the record. There's techno, there's reggae. There's hip-hop, there's R&B. It has sexy club tracks such as his first single, Some Girls (Dance With Women) – a nod to the attention-seeking sapphic displays of straight, single girls – and a camp electro number called All Day Long I Dream About Sex, his new single.

"I don't know if people are expecting an *NSync record. But it's not one," he says bluntly. "It's my record."

Chasez (pronounced Sh'Say) is not the first member of a boy band to shock the record-buying public by releasing a credible solo album. He's not even the first member of *NSync to do so, what with his old band-mate Timberlake having released Justified almost a year and a half ago. It's just that some might say that Chasez's offering is, well, better than Timberlake's.

While Timberlake chose the relative safety of proven hitmakers the Neptunes and Timbaland to produce his first solo effort, Chasez took the road less travelled, enlisting the talents of his slightly off-kilter friends BT, Dallas Austin and Rockwilder. British dance stars Basement Jaxx, whose single Plug It In he appeared on, have also produced a track.

"When I decided I wanted to do a solo album," drawls the star, "my record company gave me all these names of people they wanted me to work with. And I immediately said, `No!'"

Such as who? "Come on, you can imagine," he says, raising his eyebrows in an it's-so-obvious manner. The Neptunes? The same people his good friend Timberlake worked with?

"Look, they wanted me to work with people everybody else was working with at the time. Whoever the hot guy was. And I'm not into doing what everybody else is doing. I like to try new things. That's what music is supposed to be: fun and different."

So, rather brazenly, Chasez told his record company not to contact him until he had completed the album on his own terms, with his own people. "I said to them: 'I'm gonna hang out with my friends and make tunes. If you want the record at the end you can have it, and if you don't, you don't.' They were all right about it. They knew that if they called me, it was all off."

Chasez, as you may have gathered, is not a puppet. He finds it perplexing, perhaps slightly patronising, that critics have been shocked by the variety of his musical taste. "Some people believe that if you are in pop music then you only listen to pop music, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They think *NSync must listen to the Backstreet Boys and the Backstreet Boys must listen to *NSync." Does he listen to the Backstreet Boys? "No! Dude, gimme a break! I have a Prodigy CD sitting next to a Common album right now in my hotel room. If it's good music I'll listen to it."

Three members of *NSync: Chris Kirkpatrick, JC Chasez and Justin Timberlake in 2002

He co-wrote every song on Schizophrenic, and sat in on everything from the production to the mixing to the mastering. He calls it his self-imposed exile. "I was completely immersed in this thing for five months."

He enjoyed working alone immensely. "When you make a record in a group, you have four other opinions to deal with, and changes are going to be made that you don't always agree on. You have to compromise, which I'm cool about. But it has been amazing to be on my own and have complete creative freedom." For this reason, he doesn't really understand why so many people have been surprised by how different Schizophrenic is. "It was never going to be the same as an *NSync album because it's only my work."

He is aware, though, that there will be inevitable comparisons to Timberlake. But he says he is not bothered by this. "He was born a superstar. He had an idea of what he wanted to do and he did it. But my whole thing is to take it one step at a time. I just wanted to make a record that I could be proud of. I would love it to be successful but…" He mmms and errs diplomatically for a few moments. "You know, at the end of the day, the main thing for me is making the album that I wanted to make."

Recently, Chasez supported Timberlake's ex-girlfriend, Britney Spears, on her British tour. Was Timberlake OK with this treachery? "Yes, yes, yes, everybody's happy, we're all friends. I know that people want to try and say otherwise but everyone in the circle has made up."

It was not his first solo stage endeavour; Chasez has just completed a club tour of America. After eight years performing to stadiums full of fans with *NSync, this was a refreshing experience for Chasez. "I got to touch people's hands again," he laughs. "I could actually see the back of the room." With the predicted success of Schizophrenic, he should perhaps enjoy it while it lasts.

The single 'All Day Long I Dream About Sex' is released on June 28 on Jive Records.

IDIDTHEJRT
Supreme Member

Postby IDIDTHEJRT » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:04 pm

WOOOOP

Didn't get to read it because I have class but I will when I get home :lol:

Just wanted to say yay!

Oh and JC's in the new Cosmo... I just saw it and got excited :D

xoinnocentjrtgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby xoinnocentjrtgrl » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:57 am

he's in the new Cosmo?? I cant buy Cosmo.. Cosmo girl I can...

WildOneBartender
Supreme Member

Postby WildOneBartender » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:46 am

Yup he said he doesnt like a girl who wears to much makeup and he likes the classy girls. :::::::::::::::raises hand::::::::::: Mr. Chasez I have class lol

xoinnocentjrtgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby xoinnocentjrtgrl » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:00 pm

Me too.. I'll even try red wine

We'll stay up sippin on red red wine
The red stays on you lips my baby
Ill rub it off with my lips my baby

jc<3crack
Supreme Member

Postby jc<3crack » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:25 pm

Awww yeah man that's my boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jc<3crack
Supreme Member

Postby jc<3crack » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:26 pm

xoinnocentjrtgrl wrote: he's in the new Cosmo?? I cant buy Cosmo.. Cosmo girl I can...

And yes he is, he's on page 56... talks about dreaming about sex, lol. big surprise ;)

xoinnocentjrtgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby xoinnocentjrtgrl » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:59 pm

LMAO.... as much as I want to :rolleyes: I cant buy Cosmo lol.

jc<3crack
Supreme Member

Postby jc<3crack » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:10 pm

yay for JC being in the ultimate girly mag... made me happy to see other women appreciate him.

xoinnocentjrtgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby xoinnocentjrtgrl » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:28 pm

I appreciate him. Just not as much as Justin. If he'd keep his hair short and not curly and long and girly, i'd appreciate him alot more :)

jc<3crack
Supreme Member

Postby jc<3crack » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:23 am

Aww I appreciate him even on his worst hair days and he'll alway be appreciated more than mistah jt... that is unless you're talkin about the real jt- trace.

IDIDTHEJRT
Supreme Member

Postby IDIDTHEJRT » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:57 am

he cut his hair a little it's shorter now B)

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:12 am

<span style='color:blue'>Aww...my first love. :wub: I'm glad to see that he's still alive. :lol:

And what's this about? :confused:

When the biggest-selling boy band in the world split up to pursue solo careers two years ago, one of them, Justin Timberlake, went on to become the most famous pop star on the planet. Another became a Broadway actor, a third a successful songwriter, while a fourth decided to try and take a trip into space. Chasez, by contrast, took a much less ambitious journey back home to Florida, where he decided to relax with family and friends.

Were they talking about him or Chris? :confused:</span>

mtvjunkie
Abstracts Royalty

Postby mtvjunkie » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:46 am

i think it is about chris :blink: but i aint heard the songs yet.

hold on, wasnt he gonna be releasing some solo stuff? :confused: thats what jc said on a tv interview i watched :huh:

and still no *NSYNC album talk <_<

xoinnocentjrtgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby xoinnocentjrtgrl » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:16 pm

well what the hell? :o :huh: Where'd that come from??

Not to completely change the subject lol, but.. I was listening to the OTL soundtrack and Joey's song came on. I about passed out! I lurve his voice... my Joe-bear I miss them :( :lonely:

jc<3crack
Supreme Member

Postby jc<3crack » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:09 pm

mtvjunkie wrote: i think it is about chris :blink: but i aint heard the songs yet.

hold on, wasnt he gonna be releasing some solo stuff? :confused: thats what jc said on a tv interview i watched :huh:

and still no *NSYNC album talk <_<

Oh jeez... it could be a whole cd of "giddy up" - 'no it's not about horses' AHH

justins bubbles
Abstracts Royalty

Postby justins bubbles » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:42 pm

<span style='color:blue'>Hey! He wrote "Falling." :huh: :wub:

And you know, "Giddy Up" is like the most sex driven song...it should be on JC album. :lol: :wacko:</span>

xoinnocentjrtgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby xoinnocentjrtgrl » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:00 pm

I lurv falling! its tiight yo!

:huh: woah i shouldnt talk like that

dirtypop4nsync
Ultra Member

Postby dirtypop4nsync » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:15 am

chris wrote falling i was at the popoddessy tour and joey said chris wrote falling!!!! if you have the dvd or tape watch it youll seee

Return to “Joshua Chasez”