I Need Your Opinions On This

mtvjunkie
Abstracts Royalty

Postby mtvjunkie » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:11 pm

okay so ever the busybody, ive been working on this story/column thing which will hopefully be picked up by a newspaper too. its kinda a diary sorta thing in the eyes of someone aspergers, and i'd like your opinions. :thinking: and i think the parallels will be obvious to some :nod:

I fired my psychologist today. Well not exactly ‘fired’ but I’m gonna stop seeing her. She kept saying: “Well what do you think you need to do to improve on yourself?â€￾ Isn’t that a bit stupid? I mean that’s the reason I’m in her office, I don’t know. A lot of having Aspergers is frustrating really, no one understands. And I don’t think there are two Aspergers sufferers who are alike so how can there be a textbook definition?

I hate my psychologist for saying I’m not Aspergers, and then explaining it in a way I don’t understand. She says it’s a kind of spectrum and there’s just a cut off point where you either get the label or you don’t. I don’t, but I have all the symptoms of Aspergers. But I’m not, but how can I not be when I act and think like one? How can I be told I’m not Aspergers enough but there is no such thing as Aspergers below a certain point? Am I confusing you too? I do apologize. I think I’m Aspergers and that’s the important thing.

But back to my psychologist. We (my mum and me) have to drive all the way to the city for me to see her for an hour. At first it seemed promising but she kind of… well, decayed. I don’t think she even knew what Aspergers was until she looked it up in her doctors/nurses dictionary. The health service sucks.

And I wish I wasn’t Aspergers. I don’t feel ashamed or anything. Its just it means I’m not normal, I can’t function like everyone else. But I do think its interesting to watch peoples’ reactions to finding the person stood in front of them has a kind of autism. They expect someone who can’t function properly who slurs their voice and dribbles. They expect someone super intelligent who can do tricky maths equations, but someone who isn’t a fully functioning human being, and so therefore unable to feel normal emotions, or do normal jobs, or have normal lives and wives and husbands and kids. It’s very frustrating, no one knows what to say, and they no longer know how to act around you. Sympathy? Is that the right emotion?

Well I’m an idiot when it comes to maths, and okay so I have a high IQ but I can function normally, I live a normal life. My way of thinking is just different, that’s all.

okay so i want your HONEST opinions of it

and i want them now :P :lol:

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:18 pm

I thought it was awesome, Helena. You explained your situation in very real terms and made it easy for the reader to understand what you do and do not go through as someone living with Aspergers! Good job! :clap:

JTnTN
Supreme Member

Postby JTnTN » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:37 pm

Extremely well written and informative. I'm glad you divulge these things somewhere, otherwise, I never would have known! :clap: And anyone with half a brain will have the decency to pick up the column, because more people than just those involved should be informed. :nod:

Two thumbs up, babe. Five stars, and all that jazz. ;)

megzrsa
Supreme Member

Postby megzrsa » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:23 am

I agree with Jordin and Paige, that was really well written and easy to understand from the point of view of someone who doesn't know much about Aspergers. I hope your writing career takes off, i'll be first in line to go buy the papers with your columns in :nod: Keep writing! :hug:

Angelpopstar7
Abstracts Immortal

Postby Angelpopstar7 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:31 pm

Awww Helena I loved it!! :clap: The newspaper wouldn't be in their right mind if they didn't pick it up...people need to understand what Aspengers is and that people who have it are normal...before i met you I never even knew that such a thing existed but now I know that it exists and i've learned what it is through you...if the newspaper doesn't pick it up, let me know and i'll personally fly over and do some *ss kicking! wonderful job hun! :hug:

mtvjunkie
Abstracts Royalty

Postby mtvjunkie » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:46 pm

:wub: thank you so very much everyone :blowkiss: oh how my public love me!

i was wondering, would you mind me putting in entries as i work on them in here? i find the encouraging feedback good for motivation, and it helps to know how people will respond :nod:

if you want to

Angelpopstar7
Abstracts Immortal

Postby Angelpopstar7 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:02 pm

I'd love to read your entries Helena so please post them on here :wub:

Return to “Caprice Bourret”