Elijah Wood On Tonight Show 12/16

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:18 am

Please welcome elijah wood.

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Jay: How are you, mate? Good to see you. A lion bit all your hair off.

>> I did. I shaved it.

>> Jay: Yeah, wow.

>> I know. I've wanted to do it for a while, so --

>> Jay: So, it's not for a part? You just wanted to shave it?

>> Just for me.

>> Jay: Oh, just for you?

>> We actors can do things for ourselves once in a while.

>> Jay: I've heard that, but I've never actually seen it happen. You're just in from where, now? Paris?

>> I'm just in from new york by way of paris.

>> Jay: Okay. Okay. So what were you doing there? Promoting?

>> Promoting "lord of the rings: The two towers." First time to paris.

[ Cheers ]

>> Jay: Oh, first time?

>> Good. Good, good.

>> Jay: So, did you go out to eat? Did you do all the things?

>> I was stuck in a hotel the entire time.

>> Jay: Hope she was cute.

[ Laughter ]

>> That's a shame about doing these press junkets. They take you to these beautiful places, but they don't actually allow you to see them. And I had five, six hours the first day I got there to sort of see the city, which I covered a lot of ground. But everything else was in the hotel. But it was beautiful, beautiful. Go to paris. It's amazing.

>> Jay: Did you go out? Did you rome the streets of paris at night?

>> Yeah, we did a bit of that. You had incredible food and then back to the hotel.

>> Jay: The women? Did you see any of the parisian women?

>> The women are unbelievable.

[ Laughter ] I think that's part of -- the half of why I was excited to go. And it's exactly as you're told.

>> Jay: Did they recognize you?

>> I wanted to marry every one I saw.

>> Jay: Did you go, "hi, I'm a hobbit"?

[ Laughter ] Is that like being sean connery or something? "Hi, I'm a hobbit."

>> Well, the great thing about being a hobbit is you have the big feet. And you know --

>> Jay: Oh, I see. Yeah.

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> I mean it may work in paris. I don't know.

>> Jay: But ultimately, it's disappointing in the end. I know what you mean.

[ Audience ohs ]

>> Well, because I'm not really a hobbit. And yeah, sure.

>> Jay: Yeah, I got you.

>> That's right. And look at how small the feet are.

>> Jay: So now you're home for the holidays. What do you do? What are you doing at home?

>> What am I doing at home for the holidays?

>> Jay: Yes.

>> Just I'm going to have christmas, and then I'm going to head off to england, the north of england for new year.

>> Jay: Now, you -- 'cause the last time you were here last year, we talked about this. I think you were living with yr r mom back then.

>> That's right.

>> Jay: You were waiting for your 21st birthday. Of course, you were still a young man. Now you're a man. I assume you've moved out --

>> So much has a changed in a year, jay.

>> Jay: You've moved out, you've got your own place.

>> No, no --

>> Jay: You're still living at home?

[ Laughter ] Yeah, I still live at home.

>> Jay: Does she do your laundry?

>> Jay, yes, she does.

>> Jay: Okay, so you're in new zealand for 16 months.

>> That's right.

>> Jay: And you bring your mom 16 months worth of laundry back from new zealand?

>> Yeah, essentially.

>> Jay: Wow.

>> Yeah.

>> Jay: Now, see, is it hard when you meet women and go, "we can't go back to my place. My mom's still up"? I mean, is that --

[ Laughter ]

>> You know, to be honest -- and this is not a very good reflection on me, maybe it isn't maybe it is -- I've not actually brought anyone back to the house or had that opportunity yet.

>> Jay: This is like marty, the movie.

>> I don't know why that is. But I am moving out soon, and I will be taking -- just for your comfort, I will be taking care of my own laundry and food and all of that stuff.

>> Jay: Well, very good.

>> I love my mom, though. We have a good, loving --

>> Jay: Your mom's a lovely woman.

>> Yes, she is.

>> Jay: Let me ask you about your tattoo. I've heard this story. You got a tattoo. You guys all -- some sort of secret pact or something. Do you know what I'm talking about?

>> That's right. We got a "fellowship" tattoo. The nine members of the fellowship got a tattoo. It's essentially elvish. It stands for "nine." The nine members of the fellowship.

>> Jay: So whose idea was it? I mean, did you all get drunk one night and go down to the tattoo place?

>> It was an idea that we all kind of collectively had early on. Orlando bloom takes the credit for it. I don't really think he was the guy that had the idea initially. But it was something that we kind of realized by the end of the journey that it would be a great idea to kind of signify the experience that we had together. And we weren't drunk when we did it, surprisingly enough.

>> Jay: Really?

>> We were told not to drink because it actually thins the blood, and it makes you bleed.

>> Jay: Oh, okay. So did you all get the tattoo in the same place?

>> Different places, and we did different sort of shadings. So they all kind of look slightly different and unique to the individual.

>> Jay: So if one of you turns up dead, police will know by the tattoo. 'Cause with the shading --

>> That's right. That's right.

>> Jay: Can you show us the tattoo? Where is the tattoo?

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Uh-oh. I've made a pact, a fellowship pact, not to show the tattoo.

[ Audience aws ]

>> Jay: Has your mom seen the tattoo?

>> My mom has seen the tattoo.

>> Jay: Now ian mcclellan, he showed his tattoo. And so did sean.

>> Jay: They did. In fact --

[ Cheers ] Wait, where's ian?

>> Oh, look what he's done. The leader of the fellowship.

>> Jay: So there you are. So can you show us yours?

>> Well, I guess I have no choice.

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Jay: Wow.

>> There it is. It's a unique spot.

>> Jay: That's a unique spot. Now, tell us about the film. We saw it the other night. It's an amazing piece of work.

>> It's incredible.

>> Jay: It's one of these movie when you watch it in the middle of the screen, and you look, and there's things going on in this corner and this corner.

>> Yeah, the details are magnificent.

>> Jay: 'Cause for someone who didn't read the books, I got a little lost. A little bit.

>> It's easy to get lost. I got lost.

>> Jay: I kept going, "kev, which one is that?" And then kev would explain it. Kev read all the books.

>> Do you know that massive shot of the dead marshes? Did you actually see that in the middle of that shot, there are little hobbits walking around? It's massive. All you see is marsh, and right in the center, tiny little hobbits. It's amazing.

>> Jay: No, see, I missed that completely.

>> Well, then look for it next time.

>> Jay: All right. Now tell us a little bit about it, for those that have no access to media of any kind.

>> Right.

[ Laughter ] Right. It's essentially continuing where the first one left off. If you don't know about the story, it's basically about this ring that threatens all of middle earth, needs to be destroyed. Frodo the hobbit has taken this journey. And in this movie, the fellowship is broken, so it's three individual stories happening at one time. And it's just darker, it's more epic.

>> Jay: Yeah, and they say right in here why it's even better than the first one. Very rarely the second is better, and that's pretty amazing.

>> Yeah, yeah.

>> Jay: Let's take a look at the clip. What is this scene we're going to see here?

>> This is being lost in --

>> Jay: Oh, in new zealand too. The whole thing.

>> Yes, the whole thing in new zealand.

>> Jay: Let's take a look.

>> This looks strangely familiar.

>> Because we've been here before. We're going in circles.

>> What's that stink? There's a nasty bug nearby. Can you smell it?

>> I can smell it. We're not alone.

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Jay: Terrific. "Lord of the rings." I guess we'll see you next year on another one.

>> I come back and visit every year.

>> Jay: Well, great job. Congratulations on all your success. Elijah wood. Be right back with julie scardina and the animals.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:47 am

God, damn good interview!
B)

dazed410
Abstracts Royalty

Postby dazed410 » Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:24 pm

:blowkiss: thanks Jeff! happy holidays buddy! :hug:

Return to “Elijah Wood”