Rebecca Romijn Visits 'the Tonight Show'

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:18 am

Jay: Welcome back. My first guest, a talented actress, a lot of fun. Her new show is called "pepper dennis." I like that. It sounds like a steak you get at one of those -- let me have the pepper dennis. It premieres on the wb on april 4th. She can also be seen in "x-men 3," which comes out may 26th. Please welcome the lovely rebecca romijn.

[ Cheers and applause ]

Jay: Can I offer you some b**** balm?

[ Laughter ]

Rebecca: Don't mind if I do.

Jay: There you go. How you been?

Rebecca: Been great, thank you.

Jay: I should give you this heard you got engaged.

Rebecca: Yes. I'm engaged. Thank you.

[ Cheers and applause ]

Jay: It's jerry o'donnell -- o'connell.

Rebecca: Jerry o'connell.

Jay: Did I say donnell? Jerry o'connell, he's on "crossing jordan."

Rebecca: That's right, correct.

Jay: How did you kids get together? I want to hear about this.

Rebecca: We met years ago at a party, and then we re-met when I was in las vegas, about to start working on a documentary with a a friend of mine. My friend and I had this fantasy of choreographing the giant fountains at the bellagio hotel. We were about to do this documentary of the whole process. We did "the fountain show," by the way. It's in permanent rotation at the bellagio. It plays four times a day. Enjoy it, if you are ever there. But, anyway, jerry overheard us talking about it when we were in vegas. He was like, "I'm sorry, what are you talking about? You sound crazy. We told him what it was, and he said, "can I be your boom operator on the movie? I would love to boom for you. I've boomed before. I boomed my friend's student films." Which means the sound guy that holds the mike up above. We were like, "yeah, you can boom for us anytime." So he came back with us a week later, and he was with us for ten days when we worked on this documentary. That's how we met.

Jay: So how long until you guys actually boomed?

[ Laughter ] At the time he was booming, did you go, "ooh, this guy. I like this." Or was it all professional?

Rebecca: We knew he was going to be in the background of almost all of our shots, so we made him wear a half shirt so that every time he was holding the mike up like this, it would come up like that, and he was so game, I was like, "you're cool."

Jay: Really?

Rebecca: Yeah, it was pretty funny.

Jay: So have you set a date? Do you know when you're getting married?

Rebecca: No, I've been very busy with my show, he's been very busy with his show. We've been having a great time together.

Jay: Booming.

Rebecca: Booming. We don't have a date. It will probably be something very spontaneous.

Jay: You're not having the --

Rebecca: I don't think so, that's not really us.

Jay: How about the future in-laws? Have you met them?

Rebecca: Yes, they are fantastic. Jerry is from new york. I'm a real california girl. New york city. And I've got this show coming up, "pepper dennis," and there are billboards and posters everywhere here in los angeles.

Jay: I see 'em. Buses go by. What is that?

[ Coughs ] Oh, "pepper dennis."

Rebecca: And the show takes place in chicago, and apparently chicago is wallpapered. By the way, my apologies to the people of chicago if they are I'm sure it's getting boring at this point. In new york they're everywhere also, and his mother called literally three times a day, going, "I just saw four more buses, all of them traveling east, with rebecca all over the sides of 'em." And then she called last night and goes "hey, rebecca, you think you can get me a a billboard or a poster or something. I'd love to have one of those." What is she gonna do with a a billboard?

Jay: Wait a minute -- jerry's mother is rosie o'donnell?

[ Laughter ] Wow, that's amazing. -- About you, 'cause I know you like to do these type of things. You like the show dog show, right?

Rebecca: I am not snobby about television. I love reality shows and my favorite one was a show last ho t know if anyone here no se si cualquier persona aqui ever saw it, but it was fantastic. It's kind of like that movie, "best in show," but it's even better -- these very overzealous dog owners.

Jay: They see the dog as like their child, don't they?

Rebecca: Yeah, and they're really a a little over the top with their dogs. There was one couple in particular that we were inspired by, and so jerry and I decided to dress up like them and go to wal-mart portrait studio and have our portrait taken.

Jay: Now, this is the couple you were inspired by?

Rebecca: That is the couple we were inspired by.

Jay: Okay, there they are, there. So you guys dressed up. And this -- look at all of the work you went to. I love this. Look at this. That's you two.

[ Laughter ]

Rebecca: That's our idea of fun.

Jay: Now this is not the first time you've done this, 'cause you have other ones here, right?

Rebecca: We're not night club people. Our idea of fun is getting dressed up.

Jay: Who is this?

Rebecca: My friend steve and I --

[ Laughter ] And there is plenty more where those came from. And they all have back stories.

Jay: This is you, apparently as loni anderson.

Rebecca: Yeah.

[ Laughter ]

Jay: Seems I struck a nerve on that one. Is that a big part -- a lot of role playing going on?

Rebecca: You know what? I do have a costume closet at my house.

Rebecca: Who doesn't?

Jay: Do you like to dress? Is that a big thing?

Rebecca: Part of it is daring each other to go out in public, dressed like that.

Jay: Oh, in public? It's not at home?

Rebecca: No, we do it ate, too.

Jay: But I mean, do you dress up like, "oh, today we're having sex as annie oakley" -- iit one of those deals?

Rebecca: Why does it have to be a sex thing, jay?

Jay: I don't know, I can't think of any other reason to get dressed up.

[ Laughter ] Okay.

Rebecca: Speaking of --

Jay: Okay, it's pirate and the slave girl day. I mean, that would make sense to me.

Rebecca: All right, okay. Well, if we're gonna talk about people who go out in public looking like a doofus, let's talk about how many times I've seen you wearing goggles, driving around in your little racecars, nearby where I live.

Jay: Well, there's no windshield on my car.

Rebecca: What do you have against windshields? Cf1 o

Rebecca: I'm just not a big windshield guy.

[ Laughter ] What do you do -- do you just stand out in the street and watch cars go by?

[ Laughter ]

Rebecca: I wait for you.

Jay: You know, I'll go by maybe on a sunday morning, and then I come back, like, at 5:00. What, do you just stand out in the street?

Rebecca: Alwaysn a car that requires a crank.

[ Laughter ]

Rebecca:Ay: I do. My cars are old. Some of them are 80 or 90 years old.

Rebecca: Anyone who watches this show knows that you love old cars.

Jay: I like the idea that you just stand on the street. The chance of me passing by as you are looking out the window are like, a million to one, unless you just stare out the window.

Rebecca: It's almost every weekend, I have to say.

Rebecca: I mean, don't you go out there every weekend and drive your car around?

Jay: I do go out every weekend. But the idea that your weekends consist of waiting for me to

[ Laughter ] We'll take break. More with rebecca right after this.

[ Cheers and applause ]

TV Channel 4 Sat Apr 01 00:08:06 2006
too. It's so -- everybody's been so nice since we've been here, I'm starng to feel like, maybe we're being punked, you know? Ashton kutcher is outside hiding in a trailer. You're going to grab me and give me a giant atomic wedgey and throw me back.
[ Laughter ] It really is great to be here. And thanks for letting me in, seriously. When I announced I would be doing a week of shows in detroit, a lot of people were shocked. Not that I would come here. They were shocked that we still had a show and were on the a. But we made it and I'll tell you what. I think the re the weather is so warm in this city right now, is because the people of this city are so warm.

TV Channel 5 Sat Apr 01 00:08:48 2006
Rebecca:> A terrifying scene playing out live on television.

Rebecca: A very real and dangerous situation.

Rebecca: A boy tpped on a ledge trying to rescue his big brother's dog.

Rebecca: That was a pretty steep drop.

Rebecca: Next "inside edition."

[ Cheers and applause ]

Jay: Welcome back. Talking with rebecca romijn. "Pepper dennis" is the show. I didn't know your dad was from holland. Isn't that correct?

Rebecca: Yes, my dad is from holland. My mom is dutch american. My dad comes from a little town in holland called barneveld, which is the chicken capital of holland.

Jay: Chicken capital of holland. That's pretty impressive.

Rebecca: Yes, it is.

Jay: So, you are you were obviously raised in a a poultry-like environment?

Rebecca: When I was a kid, somebody gave my dad a stuffed, like, a a stuffed -- a real chicken that had been -- like a a taxidermied chicken, basically. And it was sitting in the rafters of my house the whole time I was growing up, and his new wife didn't care for it much. So, he gave it to me last year.

Jay: What a loving gesture.

Rebecca: Well, it's from my childhood.

Jay: My new wife doesn't like this. It's for you now.

[ Laughter ] So it's a stuffed chicke is it ratty looking or does it look nice?

Rebecca: No, it looks great.

Jay: It's a beautiful chicken.

Rebecca: And it's up in the rafters of my house now.

Jay: Oh, okay. But didn't you -- I read once you worked in a poultry place?

Rebecca: At my very first job, yes. I used to work in a poultry shop in berkeley, which is where I'm from. And it was this gourmet poultry shop, and I learned how to bone a breast in under --

Jay: What? Oh, I'm sorry.

[ Light laughter ]

Rebecca: I can bone a chicken breast in under seven seconds. I can still do it.

Jay: That's a joke. I'm not even going to go there. But okay, under seven seconds.. wow.. so you mean, like, where you a filet it.

Rebecca: Yeah, yeah. And I use td cut myself. I still have scars. It was pretty disgusting, actually. But it was mostly raw chicken, but we had this amazing rotisserie chicken grill, and people would come and line up down the street for our rotisserie chicken. Working there, I didn't have any money. And the guy who was training me was like, "you know, you can take one of these, you know, every so often for lunch if you want to."& So I started taking a chicken every single day for lunch. And I would go out to my car and, like, turn on my radio and eat my chien. And after, like, three or four , prenderia mi radio y months of this, the boss, le, comes and knocks on my car window like, "hello. And I turn down my music. I'm like, "yes?" She's like, ou have been taking one of those chickens every single day and not paying &for it." I'm like, "but they're delicious." She's like"you're fired."

Jay: Oh, you got fired?

Rebecca: Ah, I got fired.

Jay: So the male boss said you could have a chicken, but the female boss --

Rebecca: Well, he was just training me.

Jay: I think I understand what was going on.

Rebecca: I got fired. But you've been -- haven't you ever been fired before?

Jay: I have been fired. Not for boning a chicken, but I haveeen fired.

[ Laughter ]

Rebecca: I didn't get fired for boning chickens. I got fired for eating chickens without paying for them.

Jay: Yeah, yeah. No, actually, I did get fired once.

Rebecca:Or what?

Jay: I worked at wilmington. I was carrying hubcaps. I had a stack of hubcaps. And the new boss came around andaw me with the hubcaps. And I got nervous and dropped them. He goes, "you don't drop our hubcaps." He fired me.Tepa so I run home and I wrote a and I said, "I'm 16 years old, my first job.My dad's got a ford galaxy. My mom's got a falcon. We're a ford faly. I got fired. Blah, blah, blah. Two days -- not two ys. Like three or four days later I get a call fr my boss. "I don't know who you know in detroit, but if you want your job back --"

[ Cheers ] Wow, good story. You took it straighto the top.

Jay: Oh, yeah. Hank the deuce saved my ass. That was henry ford ii. That was pretty good. That's what you do. Now tell bus "pepper dennis." Was angie dickinson. So you're only the second pepper in television history.

Rebecca: Yeah. I- it's this new show --

Jay: It's a comedy, right?

Rebecca: It's a comedy. It's a romantic comedy.

Jay: See, I always thought you -- 'cause you re always funny and stuff. I always thought you should by doing a comedy.

Rebecca: Well, thank you. I had never had an opportunity to play a character that was & comedic like this and do physical comedy. Coming to me in the film world, so I just really responded to it.

Jay: Now, tv versus film. It's different, isn't it?

Rebecca: It's different. I mean, my hours are, like & 16 to 18-hour days. I'm there all day long. It's a lot of work. But, I mean, on a movie, like, sometimes it takes up to a week to get a scene out of the way. A day done, and it's so satisfying. I mean, before lunchtime we've got five pages of the script done.

Jay: Yeah, and lunchtime -- see, in a movie, they have the catered --

[ Clapping hands ] And the guy comes in and they're cookg --

Rebecca: The first day I was there they broke us for lunch, and I'm like, "okay, so which way to the catering tent?" You are gonna have to get your lunch over there." And they pointed at the commissary, which is a fancy word for cateria. And I go over there, and they're like, "where is your money?" So I had to go back to my trailer to get my wallet. Crowded. It was, like, all the crew members and e background artists, which is anothefancy word for extras, like, jockeying for position in line." And I ended up in the jita line hoping that I would make it to front ofhe line before they ran out of the dried up meat they were cooking.

[ Light laughter ] And then I was still in my wardrobe with my ugg boots and g, like, parka, and I had my little tray. It was like the first day of school, like, looking for a a place to sit. Like, wandering, you know, wandering around aimlessly looking for my friends. It was so uncomfortable.

Jay: You think? You get beat up. It's a whole deal. It's a whole deal. Well, anyway, it's on april 4th

Rebecca: April 4th, 9:00 P.M. Right after "american idol." So swit ese canal.

[ Cheers and applause ]

Rebecca: Jayrebecca, say hi to

Rebecca: I

Jay: Thanks, kiddo. All right. Be right back with chop

Return to “Rebecca Romijn”