Tyra Banks On Late Night - Transcript

admin
Supreme Member

Postby admin » Wed May 21, 2003 4:24 am

>> Conan: All right, everybody. We are back. My first guest, of course, is one of the most beautiful women in the world. Now she's the creator and host of the new upn reality show "america's next top model." Please welcome tyra banks.

[ Cheers and applause ]

[ Cheers and applause ] Oh, my god!

[ Laughter ] Oh, my god! You look amazing.

>> Thank you. You have --

>> Conan: I'm so glad because -- what are you talking about? Let's talk about your beauty first and then we'll move on to mine. What are you talking about?

>> Did you get implants?

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Yeah, I went and had implants. Yes, these are implants.

>> He's all like -- you look good.

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: I look good?

>> You look great.

>> Conan: Yeah. Thank you very much. Yeah, people are really looking at this two-shot and saying, "doesn't conan look good?"

[ Laughter ] That sort of immediately goes through your mind. What are you wearing? Tell us, please --

[ Laughter ] Oh, my god.

>> You know what? I have no idea.

>> Conan: I could file a month's worth of mail in there right now. It's incredible. You look amazing.

[ Cheers and applause ] You just look fantastic. You look very beautiful.

>> Should I pull my top up?

>> Conan: No, you should not.

[ Audience boos ] Well, I think the people have voted.

[ Laughter ] The people -- top up or down, they have voted. You look fantastic, you really do. And yes, I had implants.

>> I knew it.

>> Conan: And buttock implants as well.

>> I knew too. I felt your booty when I came and hugged you.

>> Conan: You did feel my booty. Thank you for doing that. Now, let's talk about this show. This is a reality show that you're doing.

>> A dramality.

>> Conan: What? What was that?

>> A dramality. My co-executive producer says dramality.

>> Conan: Okay, it's drama reality. It's dramality.

>> Yes.

>> Conan: Okay.

>> Not just pretty girls prancing around saying, "I want to be a model." It's their lives, you know, inside and out. We have ten very strong, some eccentric, some religious, some, you know --

>> Conan: Right. The whole spectrum of humanity is in there.

>> Yeah, a lot of different --

>> Conan: The whole spectrum of humanity that's really hot and good looking.

[ Laughter ] If you put it that way.

>> Exactly.

>> Conan: "Religious, really hot girls!" "We have conservative really hot girls." Now, if this works, are you going to do it with male models?

>> You know, it depends. You talk about the audience and stuff. I would probably have to do a poll and say, who would want to look at male models on a show? Would you guys want to see males too?

[ Female cheers ] What about the guys? Do the guys want to see boys?

[ Male boos ] The guys don't want to see guys. But the girls do. So I might, next season I might have to bring a little --

>> Conan: Wait a minute. This is the thing that's always confused me. Is that women models get all the attention and they get paid a lot of money and they're the top draw.

>> Yes.

>> Conan: Male models get paid in like pocket change. And they're always sitting next to a sears tractor or something.

[ Laughter ] Is that a correct assumption?

>> If you've noticed in a lot of ads, the woman is like, "ahh" and the man is kind of in the background like that. She's getting $100,000 to $200,000 for the day and he's getting $10,000.

>> Conan: It's amazing. When I male modeled, you could not make great money.

[ Laughter ] You could -- no, but -- and then I moved on.

>> Now you have cheekbones, so you might want to go stop at ford for men or ing men models.

>> Conan: It's probably a little late for me to get into the game there. Probably not the best use of my time. There's a part of this special that everybody's talking about. It's been in all the papers and the press is writi about it which is your segment of this show where all the models go in and get a brazilian bikini wax?

>> Yes.

>> Conan: Do models have to get that? Is that something that a model has to get?

>> You know what it is? New models are always told by their agencies that they have to show up to a shoot with clean hair, clean face and clean shaven. And a lot of models don't really understand what that is. They think, "okay, clean shaven, clean shaven." They make it to the shoot and it's like, "ah!" You know, they forgot a spot.

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: So a -- ha, ha.

>> So I just made sure that they didn't forget, you know?

>> Conan: This is something that I don't think's ever been seen on tv. And I was looking at the clip today because I believe in researching an interview.

[ Laughter ] I don't just like to walk in willy-nilly. And so I watched it and on the ninth viewing, I noticed that --

[ Laughter ] This is pretty graphic. I mean, yodon't see everything.

>> Do you think it is?

>> Conan: Yeah.

>> We have to go through standards and practices, you know, like big brother, or whoever that is looks at every show and says, "that's nasty, that's nasty, take that out."

>> Conan: But still, it's like a new barrier, I think that we've broken through in television.

>> Like "nypd blue" with them flashing their butts and now that's okay.

>> Conan: This is a whole other step, yeah. This is not what the founding fathers had in mind, but still, god love you. There is also a weigh-in. You always hear about how models have to be careful about their weight and everything. They actually -- the segment I was looking at, they're like jockeys, they're all going up and standing on a scale and being weighed. Is there an ideal weight?

>> Height and weight. Well, the reason why I did that, a lot of people will look at that and go, "ooh, tyra, you're making women insecure, you're showing these models and they're getting weighed." But I did it because, you know, anorexia and bulimia, chronic exercising or drug use is rampant in the fashion industry. I'm not going to sit here and lie. It is.

>> Conan: Right.

>> I wanted to make sure that under the pressure that these girls don't abuse their bodies and start dropping weight like crazy. Because we did have a couple of girls whose weight that was a little too low and we were concerned about it.

>> Conan: Is there an ideal weight? Is there an ideal weight or is there like a ballpark figure?

>> I'm 143.

>> Conan: You're 143 pounds?

[ Cheers and applause ] Boy, that sounds light to me. What are you doing? Do you always rub your butt after you announce your weight? Is that what you do? "I'm an aries, woo."

[ Laughter ] "I like westerns." Fun facts and then rub your butt. That sounds light to me.

>> No, most models my height, I'm 5'10", they're about 120. When I started modeling I was about 118, but I was 17 years old, so. I was thin and young.

>> Conan: But you know what? And I'm not saying this to be politically correct or anything. I'm not. I don't have to do that. I've reached a pinnacle, okay, whatever.

[ Laughter ] But I like it when women have more to them. I think when they're too skinny. And I think a lot of guys do, too. I think, you know, we like it when --

>> So you like my --

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Conan: Yes, I do.

[ Laughter ] Of course I do. Yeah, but you -- and I read this about you. I mean, I think you look fantastic, but you don't like to show your butt anymore.

>> No, I don'T. And like, you know, I had some people come up to me and, "tyra, oh, my god, that's great. You don't show your butt. You have class." And I'm like, "girl, I would show my booty if it didn't have all these dimples in it."

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: I bet you it's still an amazing sight to see.

>> You know what it is? It's kind of like, say, if you did this to my butt and then you let go, it would still have the prints in it. Like right underneath --

>> Conan: So you could be a forensics lab, is that what you're saying?

[ Laughter ] They could book people at the police station and go -- "we need your prints. Here's tyra banks." I don't believe that you would still see your hand prints.

>> I have like, you know, cellulite.

>> Conan: Well, that's just all part of god's plan.

>> Yeah. I don't mind talking about it.

>> Conan: I think it's good that you mention it, because I think the way -- obviously, again with these magazines, they airbrush things left and right so that -- and they elongate the legs, that's something I never knew. But when you see a woman on the cover of a magazine now, they've made her femur, like her bone here, an extra foot long.

>> It's true.

>> Conan: Sometimes they go too far and it looks like androids are here to take over the planet.

[ Laughter ]

>> That is true.

>> Conan: Really hot androids. Now, you had your own techniques, you know, as a model, you have your own techniques that you like to use.

>> Yes.

>> Conan: One of them that you tell people is -- or you tell models is you should act like a silent film star when you're walking down the runway. What do you mean by that?

>> I mean like, you know, whoever you look up to. You know, like, if you love jennifer lopez and you love her and her video with ja rule, think of that when you're walking down the runway, you know? Or if you love julia roberts in "pretty woman," become that. I'm tired of seeing models just going -- it's so boring. You know what I mean? Put some spice about it.

>> Conan: Right. What if like, a really beautiful woman idolizes moe from "the three stooges"?

[ Laughter ]

[ Imitating stooges ] You know. Probably not good. I'm guessing.

>> Not good.

>> Conan: But it would be different, anyway. And you also, you like to move your head from side to side. That's something that you like to do when you walk down the runway.

>> No, the eye contact is just like, "what's up? Hey, how you doing?"

>> Conan: Right.

>> "How you doing?"

>> Conan: Wait a minute. That's way too -- you come out like that. Hey.

[ Laughter ] And then you. And then you. And then -- that just seems too much.

[ Applause ] You got to tone that back a little bit.

>> Okay, I'll tone it back.

>> Conan: Yeah, listen to me. You should listen to me about modeling. We have a clip here from the show. What do we need to know about this clip?

>> Yeah, well, what it is, is, you know, a lot of this is the first week of the show. And a lot of the girls think it's "oh, it's so fun. And it's games. And tyra's so nice. And it's great and I'm just going to be 35 minutes late to the shoot." It's like, "oh, no, you won'T." Here's a clip.

>> Hi, everybody.

>> All: Hi.

>> Before we start, I just want to call a couple of girls forward. Robin, kristy, ebony and shannon. Would you guys just move forward a little bit? Okay, I was really upset. I heard that you four were late. And that's just not acceptable. Photo shoots are thousands of dollars and time is money. It's 100% not acceptable. If this was a normal shoot, a lot of you guys would have been sent home.

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Conan: Why were they -- they all looked like they had just been plucked off the water. From cuba.

>> It was 8 degrees and they were doing a swimsuit shoot. That's why.

>> Conan: Why are they doing a swimsuit shoot in 8 degree weather?

>> Because in the fashion industry you shoot winter in the summer and summer in the winter.

>> Conan: That just blew my mind. Whenever I see a hot girl on the beach, it's probably about 11 degrees out.

>> Yeah. And even that film is tweaked. I don't know if my producers are going to be mad at me for saying that. But the film, it was very gray and very dark and we had to like push it to get a little bit of brightness.

>> Conan: If you have any problems at all with your producer, you have them talk to the man right here. And I will track them down.

>> I'm the big boss but I have my own producer.

>> Conan: Don't you listen to them. They're fools. "America's next top model" airs tuesday nights at 9:00 on upn. Thanks for being here.

>> Thank you.

>> Conan: Thanks for dressing so amazingly. Just amazing. Tyra banks, everyone.

Return to “Tyra Banks”