Music From Motion Pictures

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:02 pm

Am I the only one who goes to the cinema to listen to some music? I even go for sh** films, just because I am interested in the music.......which explains why I saw two Dicaprio films (R+J and the Beach) :lol: I'm not really a cinema lover but if the director makes music his/her priority then he/she gets my vote.

Lately I bought the OST of Chicago which is absolutely awsome and I am desperately looking for the OST of "O invasor" a Brazilian film, the English title is "The Trespassers" if I remember well, that soundtrack must be amazing because it fit so well in the film, and Sabotage is a great rapper. I remember wathcing teh film and telling myself "I want the sountrack". if anyone can help me on that one, thanks :) ....and it's a very good movie too!

Anyway I was just wondering if there were other freak of the kind out there, and if you had some recommendations ;)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:16 am

I think the music is one of the most important things, as being both music and movie freak. The movie is not complete without the music.

There are different types of soundtracks. There is score - that sounds in the movie, and also song compilation - sons that were not written especially for the movie, but chosen in order to suit the scenes.

A very good example for original score is Gladiator - man that really was an opera, like Ridley Scott said. Or LOTR original score by Howard Shore, the Oscar awarded.

And concerning the other type of soundtracks - the one that consists of songs by diferent artists - I like the Matrix soundrack - this totally rocks! Marylin Manson for example. I have this one.
Ah, and also the Coyote Ugly soundtrack - great one! Amazing compilation, including this INXS song - I Need You Tonight.

I can't come up with others right now, but I'll tell you L! :)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:24 am

You're totally right Claire. I for one prefer the compilation type, but sometimes the songs were written just for the film like for "About a boy" the whole soundtrack was written by Badly Drawn Boy just for the film (excellent ost!!) then he brought out his own album (excellent Album "Have you fed the fish")

One of my fave is also the ost for "Cruel Intention".......All the artists I LOVE (Blur, Fatboyslim, Placebo, Skunk Anansie, Faithless....etc....:wub:) My favourite songs of this album are Counting Crows "Color blind" and day one "Bedroom dancing"......I love them all really :D

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:39 am

I like the music from Dumb and Dumber :lol:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:25 pm

Oh, L, you are soooo right! Aand you reminded me of this Cruel Intentions soundtrack that is so good. I have it. These are really one of my favourites... you don't know how much I die for British Alternative... mmm... I think Richard Ashcroft is one of the best artists existing....

Do you like About a Boy? I love the movie and the ducks... I think the music was a big part of it, I mean it played a great part... Strange, Hught Grant reminds me of movies with good music!

you always have the right picks! ;)

Ha - does anyone remember in American Pie - that scene when "Celebrity Skin" by Hole was being played? :lol: exactly the right time!

P.S. CCC - who played in Dumb and Dumber? I don't remeber, cause I watched it long time ago.

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:19 pm

Claire wrote: P.S. CCC - who played in Dumb and Dumber? I don't remeber, cause I watched it long time ago.

Jim Carry as Lloyd and Jeff Daniels as Harry. One of my favourite movies.
"You got a nice accent there, where ya from, California?"
"Austria"
"Ohhhh Austria....well mate...put another shrimp on the barbie"

:lol:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:38 pm

No, I meant which bands! I know it is Jim Carrey, he is one of my favourite comedians! God, I still remeber that kiss with Lauren Holly :lol: Great movie!

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:05 pm

This is a list of songs on the soundtrack...
1. The Ballad Of Peter Pumpkinhead - Crash Test Dummies + Ellen Reid
2. New Age Girl - Deadeye Dick
3. Insomniac - Echobelly
4. If You Don't Love Me (I'll Kill Myself) - Pete Droge
5. Crash (The '95 Mix) - The Primitives
6. Whiney, Whiney (What Really Drives Me Crazy) - Willi One Blood
7. Too Much Of A Good Thing - The Sons + Bret Reilly
8. You Sexy Thing - Deee-Lite
9. Where I Find My Heaven - Gigolo Aunts
10. Hurdy Gurdy Man - Butthole Surfers
11. Take - The Lupins
12. The Bear Song - Green Jelly
13. Get Ready - The Proclaimers

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:37 pm

Actually Claire, I only knew about teh soundtrack because I love Badly Drawn Boy, but after reading your post I rented it, and I must say it is brilliant!! I love it, and yeah music is definately very important. I just loved the film, thanks a lot Chica! :wub:

Another soundtrack I love is the music for "High Fidelity", it is brilliant, and that's also a great movie.....I remember watching it with my ex-boyfriend, I had just dumped him and I was stuck in his house because of a bloody storm outside.......the film is about a guy who's dumped by his girl, he's a music freak and a loser too..:lol: :lol: quite an embarrassing situation. :rolleyes:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:37 pm

OMG! Laura, just don't tell me that you love "HIgh Fidelity", too! You have no idea that "High Fidelity" is the movie that exactly corresponds to my inner condition! I totally identify with the character, I've watched it about I don't know how many times ... oh, I think it's genius and still so many people do not understand it... it's about geeks... I'm the same like this character - but I do it with movies, like he does with the records... oh, heaven! Wsn't the script based on Nick Hornby novel, just like "About a Boy'? If I remember correctly, this man should be a genius. And about the duck movie (this is my nick for About a Boy) - it's my #1 movie of the year, I think it is brilliant and it was a cure for my tortured soul. All the people who were involved in it - God bless them!

L, I really do not get it - how you always have the right picks! Are you reading my mind or something? :thinking:

Hey, and Crazy - do you happen to own the movie's DVD? Cause I would be delighted to happen somebody else who loves Jim Carrey! ;)

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:21 am

Claire wrote: Hey, and Crazy - do you happen to own the movie's DVD? Cause I would be delighted to happen somebody else who loves Jim Carrey! ;)

No I don't have the dvd but it's on my list of things to buy along with many other things :rolleyes: but I do LOVE Jim Carrey. I almost hated him after I saw the Cable Guy but I couldn't stay mad at him for long :D I can't wait to see his new movie "Bruce Almighty"-it looks hilarious!

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:00 pm

Claire wrote: L, I really do not get it - how you always have the right picks! Are you reading my mind or something? :thinking:

Because we are the truely cool people. In France we say "les grands esprits se rencontrent" I guess I don't hvae to translate it.

Every real music lover has to identify with Rob, he's ace. I've no problem with being a music geek, really :nerd:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:18 pm

Yep, you don't have to translate! It's just that I'm a movie geek. It's great. As I have said thousands of times, Geekland is cooler than the place which the "normal" people inhabit.

Go on Crazy! I also can't wait for the new Jim Carey movies. I think he was unique in all he did. I was so mad at people when they said he was a talent just after "Man on the Moon" came out. Like "Ace Ventura" never existed. Come on! He doesn't need anyone's approval. I personally like "Ace Ventura" a lot. :lol:

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:34 pm

Claire wrote: I personally like "Ace Ventura" a lot. :lol:

Of course! It's a freakin' classic!
"Vveennttuurraa"
"Yes Satan?.......oh, I'm sorry Sir, you sounded like someone else"

"Your GUN is digging into my hip"

"Can we see Snowflake?"
"Why, do you know him? Does he call you at home? Do you have a dorsel fin? To train zee dolphin, you must think like zee dolphin. you must get inside zee dolphin's head...."

I could go on... :lol:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:55 am

Go on! You're breaking my heart with this! :wub: Ahh, this movie gives me... I just love it! It's inexplicable! Only a real appreciator can get this! ;)

Gisele
Supreme Member

Postby Gisele » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:27 am

I think that the triology is too important. A good movie with a bad soundtrack get a lot of disapointment. I loved Cruel Intentions soundtrack, one of the best I have seen.

See Laura? u r normal :D

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:49 am

laura l wrote: I even go for sh** films, just because I am interested in the music.......which explains why I saw two Dicaprio films (R+J and the Beach) :lol:

Aha! I just saw this! I love it - sacrifice yourself to hear the good music! You should see some more DiCaprio movies, cause there are a few more with good music, except those! ;) ( I love the Dario G song from the Beach)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:07 pm

I love The Beach soundtrack, oh what I wouldn't do for the love of music :shrug:

Now that I think of it, I've seen many films featuring that person, more than I thought...let me think, I saw The Beach (love Boyle)
R+J (love Shakespeare, was curious to see a modern version)
Total Eclipse (love Rimbaud)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape (probably the best of his film)
Titanic (please, don't ask me why :cry: )

and that's about it..oh no, The Man in The Iron Mask because it's adapted from a Frehcn novel, was curious again...GEEZ!! So many films, I could almost be mistaken for a fan! :blink: :sprint:

:lol: I have to say I also have the ost for Titanic, can't resist celtic sounds......that's one of the reasons why I love Edinburgh, every now and then you hear the sound of the bagpipes, and with the famous Edinburgh wind, you can hear it from a long distance and never know where the player is until you see that bloke in kilt playing round the corner those famous tunes....I love the sound of the bagpipes :wub: ......and I don't want to leave Scotland :cry:

chantoir
Supreme Member

Postby chantoir » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:19 am

well i've seen all leo's movies and i have the OST of Romeo and Juliet and Basketball Diaries. i love those two OSTs. but i'll never ever buy the titanic OST. 'my heart will go on' hurts my ear so much. :D

i dig OSTs of teen movies and some action films because it mostly has rock/alternative songs in it. i love that kind of stuff! :wub:

hey L! you're returning to France now?

:)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:15 am

L, you're ready for a fan! Come directly to the LDC board! (Hint: It's funny! ;) )

Mes raisons:
The Beach - I love Boyle, too (Mmm - Trainspotting!)
R+J - Sheakspeare must be mad to Baz Luhrman!
Total eclipse - I like Verlaine
Gilbert Grape - Oscar taste!
Titanic - :cry: - it's marvelous!
The Man in The Iron Mask - Hm, Jeremy Irons as musketeer...

You should also see Marvin's Room, probably, I liked the music there. It's original score.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:10 pm

who's on the Basket Ball Diaries ost? I really don't like action films unless they have more than stunts and Mister muscle to rest on, I want a good story and good acting, and great music.

I have to say Brazilian films ALWAYS have a great soundtrack to it, I mean I fell in love with two of them, but only found one at teh shop. Apart from Bossa Nova and Samba which I really love, I have to say they also have good rock and good rap stuff. That "O Invasor" soundtrack was awesome, so pissed off I can't lay my hands on a copy!! :steaming:

Claire, you know my favourite poem is by Verlaine!!! He's not my favourite poet, but it is my all times favourite simply because it is the only poem I remeber of all the poems I learnt as a child..........."les sanglots long des violons de l'automne, blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone"......Oh my god, love this line!!! :wub:

I could try to translate it, but it'd be a sin. Sorry :(
I can't resist, here's a bit more...

Chanson d'Automne

Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Tout suffocant
Et blême, quand
Sonne l'heure,
Je me souviens
Des jours anciens
Et je pleure;

Et je m'en vais
Au vent mauvais
Qui m'emporte
De çà, de là,
Pareil à la
Feuille morte.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:05 pm

Oh, Verlaine, je prefere! C'est un grand poet francais! OK, enough with my ambitions with French. I wanted to say that I like his stuff, but I can't tell you the title of my favourite poem, cause my friend borrowed my book (she studies french and they study it in the original). I love to ead this nevermind I get only 75% of it. I think it was a poem about nature... That's why for me it was important to watch the movie, cause I thought throughotu the whole book, that he writes his poems about a woman, and if he had this relationship with Rimbaud, it would turn out he was his inspiration! I still haven'ty figured that out.

Oh, oh, always off-topic! Sorry! It was about the soundtracks! I'm just awful, am I not? Ah, and cutie, The Basketball Diaries is about an American writer, who was a drug addict as a teenager but then changed his way of living and wrote this book about his own life story. It's absolutely great, I think. Better than Woodie Allen (and I love Woodie Allen)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:07 pm

I love the song "Playground Love" from the Virgin Suisides OST!

(See, I'm in topic! ;) )

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:37 am

Wasn't basket Ball Diaries about the life or River Phoenix? I could be wrong though.

For Total Eclipse, I was so angry at the end of the film!! That stupid director missed the whole point, all she focused on was the fact that both poets were homosexual. She didn't focus on the poetry and the influence they had on each other poetry-wise, nothing. I think she is so stupid! That film really pissed me off, the only good aspect was Leo and David's performance, they both were great.....Oh and I cannot stand Romane Boringer, I think she is one of the worst French actresses, seriously!

Other than the lead actors and the scenery, the film was crap.

About music in films, do you like the music in disney films? I think Lilo and Stich's music was absolutely ace....and also in The Emperor's New Groove....I don't know how many times I watched this one and I think I'll never get enough of it!!

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:18 pm

You're so right! They didn't concentrate on the poetry part that interested me. Of course that's it when Americans try to interefere with French culture. Which actress do you mean? Who did she play? The guys did great. Is david French? He is in the new Harry Potter movie, btw.

P.S. The character from Basketball Diaries was Jim Carrol (I think that's the spelling) and they adapted it from his autobiographical novel, that's what I remember (it was long time ago ;) )

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:24 pm

Ha, I think the music from animated movies is always great! Esp, all Disney clasics like Beauty and The Beast and The Lion King. I think most of the power of the movie The Lion King is actually built on the music they used. Didn't see Lilo and Stitch (eh!) but I heard Elvis in the movie's trailer, and I'm sure it was all Hawaian ( I judge from the background) ;)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:07 am

Claire wrote: Ha, I think the music from animated movies is always great! Esp, all Disney clasics like Beauty and The Beast and The Lion King. I think most of the power of the movie The Lion King is actually built on the music they used. Didn't see Lilo and Stitch (eh!) but I heard Elvis in the movie's trailer, and I'm sure it was all Hawaian ( I judge from the background)  ;)

yeah, the Hawaiian bit were soooo good. I really want to get that one....and you shoudl watch lilo and Stitch, it's really good....but I still prefer the Emperor's New Groove B)

I also like music of TV series, I have one of Ally McBeale and one of Buffy which I really like, I had bought it just for K's Choice but in the end it's an excellent album!!

They are the only TV music I bought, I'm not too keen on the idea of getting more but if you've any good recommendation, feel free :D

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:32 am

Oh, the "Six Feet Under" theme just won a Grammy! ;)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:24 pm

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>C L A I R E ! ! ! ! !</span></span>

OMG I am so happy, how are you??? C and I have been thinking of you lately, wondering what was going on wit you and all that. Hoping you're doing fine my girl, C will not be here very often, many changes at work, no more internet access, but she goes to cyber cafes so you'll here from her soon I hope. She asked me to :kiss: ya, so that was from Chantoir!

Hope you won't be away for so long again Vassy, right? ;)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:34 am

I am sick, I was fallen ill, that's it. Sorta when you've got temperature, you can't quite reach the computer, right? :lol:

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:49 pm

gotcha sister, just take care of yourself! :)

heloise
Supreme Member

Postby heloise » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:51 pm

Claire wrote: I am sick, I was fallen ill, that's it. Sorta when you've got temperature, you can't quite reach the computer, right? :lol:

that's wrong, when i have fever, i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve got to net......it's what i love must;, it's too boring to have fever ;)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:31 pm

Heloise, I didn't email you but <span style='font-size:24pt;line-height:100%'>BIG THANK YOU </span>for sending me the short story, I <span style='color:red'>love </span>Luis Sepulveda with so much passion, but can't find any books here, I'd have to order and all that, can't be arsed, anyway thanks a lot!!!! :kiss:

PS: "J'aimerais que la gauche n'ait plus besoin de Jospin, mais, si elle devait en avoir besoin, j'aimerais qu'il réponde présent" So true :( you don't know what you have till it's gone.

heloise
Supreme Member

Postby heloise » Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:21 pm

i snet u one other "bigger" by abstact cuz u said me u prefer no big mal...and it's a big one...

for jospin, i don't think it was good...i don't say i prefer now, but i hate jospin....

Return to “General”