Ops! Oscar Nominations

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:24 am

Wow! did you watch the Oscars nods announced today?

13 for "Chicago", 10 for "Gangs of New York" and 9 for "The Hours".

And as Best Picture : Chicago, Gangs Of New York, The Hours, The Two Towers and The Pianist.

There were little surprises... hm...

Extensive article here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20030211/ap_en_mo/oscar_nominations&e=1'Chicago,' 'Gangs' Lead Oscar Nominations

I keep fingers crossed for Julianne Moore, cause it is gonna be tough competition with Kidman. While people say that Renee Zellweger as Roxie Hart carried the whole movie out... we'll see.

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:08 pm

a major deal was made out of richard gere not getting a nom for chicago.... i was surprised he didn't after the golden globes. :shrug:

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:51 pm

I hope Chicago wins 'em all! :D

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:18 pm

i've heard that chicago is amazing! i haven't seen it yet, but i def will! :nod:

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:50 pm

You def. have too see it! It was amazing. It's become one of my fave movies of all time!!

Milla
Ultra Member

Postby Milla » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:58 pm

that movie was amazing! absolutely mezmorizing! one the best movies of all time! yay for chicago! wooh!

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:19 pm

Are you sure Chicago is gonna get it? You haven't seen Gangs of New York probably. I also may consider Chicago the most serious contestant... but after I see it! I have totally no idea why they left Richard Gere out of this. What do you think about the others in the Leading Male category?

oscars.org/75academyawards/nomswins.htmlThe Full List of Nominees in All Categories

Do you have interesting picks?

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:50 pm

Nicole Kidman must have an award for her performance in The Hours. If she doesn't this award will lose the very little amount of credibility I am granting it.

Richard Gere did not deserve a nomination, his performance in Chicago was not good enough if you ask me, John C Reilly was great.

Renee wasn't that good either, I think Catherine's performance totally overshadowed her to the point I felt Catherine had the main role.

I haven't seen "far from heaven" yet but I must say Nicole Kidman really deserves an oscar for her performance as Virginia Wolf, and Julianne Moore as Laura Brown both of them in The Hours.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:36 pm

I think Julianne Moore and Nicole Kidman will be in a tie. I strongly believe in Julianne and her abilities as an actor, plus she had two misses by now; this year she has two nominations, for two different roles. It may be her time. But if you say Nicole was really believable as Virginia, we have to give her the credit. I surely believe they are in a tie, they two and not the other three candidates.

The strangest pick is probably "Lose Yourself" by Eminem as an Original song choice. :lol: No, I believe it's U2, cause their song is extremely emotional. As you watch it, it's like watching the movie. What can you tell me about the final song in Chicago, the nominated one?

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:09 pm

Claire wrote: What can you tell me about the final song in Chicago, the nominated one?

it's sh** :D

LOl I'm kidding, it's not but I really don't like it, I think that's the one I like teh least....but each to their own, but in the film it was a great song cuz you could see them do the act at the same time, but on CD only it's not my fave at all......the final scene in the film is ace I have to say.

I'll never stop telling you that Nicole is amazing in this film I think her nomination for MR was due to the comercial success of teh film, and not her pferormance..there was nothing extraordinary about her role, nor the performance......she so much deserves one for this one, the role gave her teh opportunity to show what she can do, she's not using her sex appeal here, she can't she is pale, dressed very badly, hair never done, and everything relies on her talent. I never liked Kidman but now I have a lot of respect for her.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:05 am

Sure for Nicole. I would love to finally see her in something that would make me like her. Cause I was a great deal angry with her cause she kept on dissing Tom on national television, even when a year had passed from their divorse. I like Tom, and I hated it when she made him look like the bastard in this relationship (of course it was subtext, but that's the way I got her words). I think she shows talent in some movies, but I'm forcing myself to lie her.... ahh, I hope it's not that way this time. Gotta love Virginia Woolf for that!

So, the song-winner is "The Hands That Built America" , if you say that the one from Chicago is not the best in the movie. I mean it has to be the main song or something, but when it's a musicle...I don't know ho wthey chose to nominate it. Eminem will perform by the way. The Clean Version!

Gisele
Supreme Member

Postby Gisele » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:23 am

thanx Vassy, how about for CMIYC ? :huh:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:45 am

2 nods for Catch Me If You Can: for Christopher Walken (as Frank's father) and John Williams (for the Original Score)! ;)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:33 pm

Claire wrote: Sure for Nicole. I would love to finally see her in something that would make me like her. Cause I was a great deal angry with her cause she kept on dissing Tom on national television, even when a year had passed from their divorse. I like Tom, and I hated it when she made him look like the bastard in this relationship (of course it was subtext, but that's the way I got her words). I think she shows talent in some movies, but I'm forcing myself to lie her.... ahh, I hope it's not that way this time. Gotta love Virginia Woolf for that!

So, the song-winner is "The Hands That Built America" , if you say that the one from Chicago is not the best in the movie. I mean it has to be the main song or something, but when it's a musicle...I don't know ho wthey chose to nominate it. Eminem will perform by the way. The Clean Version!

Y'see Claire, I didn't like her either, but honestly after her performance in The Hours I can only respect her as an actress......having said that, I'm not commenting on her as a person, I don't like her but to say I like Tom even less would be an understatement.

I seem to be in a U2 mood these days, that's the third song of tehirs that I like....There's Walk on, Electrical Storm, and now the GONY soundtrack.....hmmm.....I know I won't like them anymore after Bono gets his Peace Nobel Prize and starts playing god again. :rolleyes:

Virginia Wolf is not teh easiest writer to read but she's one intelligent and sensitive woman, gotta respect her. I only read two of her books, one is ridiculously short, it's more like a poem in prose rather than a short story me thinks, it's called Kew Gardens, and the other one I read is To The Lighthouse.

You can read Kew Gardens online-literature.com/virginia_woolf/862/HERE

Gotta love British literature too!! :wub:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:56 am

Wow! This site is so useful! How did you find it? Till now I had read only poetry online. Oh, well... I admit reading some fantazy books, that I can't afford to buy (the ones with more than three volumes). Thanks! ;)

Do you know, that exactly now I'm listening a lot to the U2 album - "The Best Of"? I hadn't bought it when it came out last year, but now I did and it's absolutely amazing, I totally recommend it for fans. Cause there are not also the old hits, but some of them are remixed and there are 4 new songs, including "Electrical Storm" and "The Hands..." from GONY. I play this one all the time, I got attached to it already. I think the video doesn't play the whole song. Seen the video to it?

Absolutely the same situation with Nicole here. I think her performance in Moulin Rouge was over-praised, cause the whole movie was great, it was all Baz Luhrman in this. Let's see what happens now!

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:54 pm

Claire wrote: Absolutely the same situation with Nicole here. I think her performance in Moulin Rouge was over-praised, cause the whole movie was great, it was all Baz Luhrman in this. Let's see what happens now!

AMEN!! even if I'm not a christian :lol:

I totally agree with you Claire, as usual!! B)

I think U2 is a great band, but as I said arrogant people put me off, and I really can't go beyond that, it really spoils it for me, and I have no pleasure because I can't focus just on the talent. I'm like that :shrug:

This site is ace, if you have some links to good literary sites, please post them. All my cool bookmarks are on my computer in France, I've nothing here and I can't find them. I found that one just as I was typing, I really wanted you to read it because it's so short and really beautiful I consider it more a piece of poetry but it is a short story, so be it so, call it a short story! :)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:16 pm

Blab! I have really read books online, but they're in my own language and I don't think it woyld work for you. Plus it's mainly fantazy books, and you're not in the genre! :lol: But I doubt that even a fan would be able to read Lord of the Rings online for example - it's a really long book! ;)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:35 pm

Interesting facts about the Oscar nods (three weeks to go!) are:

-the most nominated movie is "Chicago" - 13 nods

-the only person nominated for two awards is Julianne Moore ("Far From Heaven" and "The Hours")

-John C. Reilly is in three of the nominated motion pictures: Chicago, The Hours and Gangs of New York and he is nominated for his role in "Chicago"

-Meryl Streep stars in The Hours and Adaptation, but she's nominated for her performance in "Adaptation"; she marks a record 13th nomination with this one!

-the Oscar newbies this year are Salma Hayek (Leading Actress in Frida), Adrien Brody (Leading Actor in The Pianist) and Rob Marshall (director of Chicago)

- the ones who were there last year, are the Lord of the Rings crew and actresses Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger

What do you think of these? :rolleyes: I worked them out alone! I judged from what I remember from the Oscars last years. Can you think of more interesting facts?

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:22 am

These are actually interesting facts. I'm looking forward to seeing Selma and Ed in Frida.....it's not out yet, should go this week-end.

I think the shock will come when Meryl Streep will actually not be nominated for a role :lol:

Didn't know Reilly was in GONY, that's one active man!!

Nicole should have it this year, and Renee does not deserve it, Catherine did much better than her, and Nicole did waaaaaay better than her. That's just my opinion.

Gere doesn't deserve it and I hope Nicholson gets it because he's the only reason why About Shmidt is worh it.

what do you think?

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:52 am

laura l wrote: Didn't know Reilly was in GONY, that's one active man!!

He's a "gangs"ter!

I also think Nicholson is a scary man. So many years, so many roles, and so many Oscar nominations.... can anyone beat him? Day Lewis probably, cause he got the BAFTA. Did you watch those BAFTAs?

Nicole surely gets it,everyone agreed on that already. Julianne Moore can be a double loser (2 categories, you know) And this would make her lost nominations four.... too bad.

I am going to see Adaptation in three weeks (it opens here finally! ) and I can't wait to see it. I'll have to wait for Chicago and Gangs to open in May (shame for our distributors!) and who knows if I'll get to see The Pianist, or The Hours in the first half of this year (unless they win The Oscar)
Sometimes it feels like a third world country here......ehh.

Anyone watched coverage from the luncheon that the nominees shared? Chris Cooper from Adaptaion implied that he tips for Christopher Walken to win Best Supporting Actor. "Someone who has the same name as me". I tip for Paul Newman from Road to Perdition, I don't know.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:34 pm

Claire wrote: Did you watch those BAFTAs?

no I didn't, I very rarely watch award ceremonies, apart from the Brits, which I've been following since 1996 I don't care about others, and being honest even the Brits have become too boring and predictable, as we already discussed.......SOMEBODY BRING BACK OASIS, PULP, BLUR, THE VERVE, ROBBIE WILLIAMS!!! PLEASE!!!! :( I want punches, insults, challenges, suspens, good music, and talent!!!!

I really hope Nicole gets it, but by the look of things, it seems like Chicago's gonna get it all. I'd be pissed off though, cuz Renee's performance was not so good, as I already said Catherine was so good that it seemed to me she had the leading role. But Nicole was even better than Zeta-Jones, so logically she should get it. But hey, if the academy gave an oscar to Julia Roberts and Gwyneth paltrow, they might as well give one to Britney!! :lol:
I also think Julianne will go home empty-handed. :( She's been promoting "Far From Heaven" here in the UK, she was so nice and smiling everytime, she's really cool. As opposed to that you had J-Ho promoting her film, man I can't stand this woman, she just puts me off <_<

Hey, The Pianist is by a French director! :yay: I didn't watch it though, and I surely won't. WW2 films have too big an impact on me, can't go through that now. let me know what you thought of it! I don't intend to watch Adaptation either. I'll look forward to one of your reviews ;)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:42 pm

laura l wrote: I want punches, insults, challenges, suspens, good music, and talent!

Yes! Especially the insults and challenges part! ;)

Chicago is.... ah, what was the word in English! In athletics, it's the runner who is used to challenge the others to do records, and he gives up before the end of the race! Racer, sort of racer that is going to fool everyone that it's gonna get the big award of the night. But it won't, according to my prediction. Of course it will get 4-5 something awards (with that number of nods!) but mainly Costume design, and actors probably, the unimportant awards.
Everyone is made to believe that Chicago and The Hours are in a tie for the top spot, but they aren't. It's "Hours" and "Gangs", cause Gangs is pro-American (though the flaws that hurt its entity). And Chicago has happy-ending as I know? Or it doesn't? This won't work for an Oscar. And at all I am against the musical thing being qualified for such awards - I prefer more humna movies, plus - It's a blockbuster! Have we reached the times when blockbusters qualify for Best Motion Picture Award

The Hours is the perfect one, it and The Pianist are the ones that give sense to the term "brainer" (You know that?). But the Pianist won't get it. Americans hate Polanski, I consider this, and he is long time disconnected with them. He is I think one of the people who made history in this century, emblematic person with emblematic life. Yes, you right, he lives in France, cause his wife now is a french actress, but I think he is a Polish jew, cause he escaped camps in Poland during WW2, and that's why the movie is so personal for him. And so good btw. Haven't seen it, you know. :(

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:06 pm

I have a quick list (my predictions only! Ah, and the whole geek-community clique) for the few of the categories, I 'm gonna give away some of them here, tell me if you want more:
For the Actors:

Leading Actor: Jack Nicholson vs. Daniel D. Lewis
Why: Globe for Nicholson and BAFTA and SAG for Day-Lewis; both are past winners
Possible Surprises: Adrien Brody - the Critic's Choice

Leading Actress: Nicole Kidman vs. Julianne Moore (I wish!)
Why: Globe and BAFTA for Kidman, Critics' choice for Julianne; both are past nominees
Possible Surprises: ReneeZellweger - Globe award and a good campaign!

Supporting Actor: Paul Newman vs. Christopher Walken
Why: Both played the father figure in a movie with Tom Hanks, and actually managed to do better than him! Both are past winners. Plus a BAFTA and SAG for Walken
Possible Surprises: Chris Cooper - he's got a globe and a great performance!

Supporting Actress: Catherine Zeta Jones vs. Meryl Streep
Why: Meryl Streep got the Globe and Catherine - the BAFTA and the SAG, and she is making a great campaigne, plus: she is singing at the ceremony! But we all know what happens, when Meryl Streep steps at the Oscars....
Possible surprises: Julianne Moore, hm, why not? When not for Far From Heaven, let it be The Hours! ;)

Do you like these? They are gonna be a part of a funny article of me. I'm using my knowledge only, but there have been times when it matches the voters' pick! :lol: I'll type those for the other categories, if you want to read more! ;)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:50 pm

Hey! I have a bet with "Anakin" at Gisele's board, I'll try to find it and post it here, so that we compare. I'm sure I'm gonna beat him, I saw most of teh nominated films!!! mwahahahaha *rubbing hands*

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:05 pm

Hey Claire, here's what Anakin and myself picked up. I am in red and he is in blue:

BEST PICTURE
<span style='color:blue'>Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers</span>
<span style='color:red'>Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers</span>

BEST ACTOR
<span style='color:blue'>Jack Nicholson</span>
<span style='color:red'>Jack Nicholson</span>

BEST ACTRESS
<span style='color:blue'>Nicole Kidman</span>
<span style='color:red'>Nicole Kidman</span>

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
<span style='color:blue'>Christopher Walken </span>
<span style='color:red'>John C. Reilly </span>

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
<span style='color:blue'>Julianne Moore </span>
<span style='color:red'>Catherine Zeta-Jones</span>

BEST DIRECTOR
<span style='color:blue'>Martin Scorcese</span>
<span style='color:red'>Martin Scorcese</span>

FOREIGN FILM
<span style='color:blue'>The Man with No Past</span>
<span style='color:red'>Nowhere in Africa</span>

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
<span style='color:blue'>Chicago</span>
<span style='color:red'>About a Boy</span>

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
<span style='color:blue'>Far From Heaven</span>
<span style='color:red'>Talk to Her</span>

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
<span style='color:blue'>Lilo & Stitch</span>
<span style='color:red'>Ice Age</span>

ART DIRECTION
<span style='color:blue'>Lord of the rings: The Two Towers</span>
<span style='color:red'>Chicago</span>

CINEMATOGRAPHY
<span style='color:blue'>Gangs of New York</span>
<span style='color:red'>Gangs of New York</span>

SOUND

SOUND EDITING
<span style='color:blue'>Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers</span>
<span style='color:red'>Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers</span>

ORIGINAL SCORE
<span style='color:blue'>Road to perdition</span>
<span style='color:red'>The Hours</span>

ORIGINAL SONG
<span style='color:blue'>"The Hands That Built America" U2</span>
<span style='color:red'>"The Hands That Built America" U2</span>

COSTUME
<span style='color:blue'>Gangs of New York</span>

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
<span style='color:blue'>Bowling for Columbine</span>
<span style='color:red'>Bowling for Columbine</span>

DOCUMENTARY (short subject)
<span style='color:blue'>Twin Towers</span>
<span style='color:red'>Twin Towers</span>

FILM EDITING

MAKE UP
<span style='color:blue'>Frida</span>
<span style='color:red'>The Time Machine</span>

ANIMATED SHORT FILM
<span style='color:red'>The Cathedral</span>
<span style='color:blue'>The Cathedral</span>

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
<span style='color:blue'>"Inja" (Dog)</span>
<span style='color:red'>Fait D'Hiver</span>

VISUAL EFFECTS
<span style='color:blue'>Star Wars: Episode II- Attack of the Clones</span>
<span style='color:red'>Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers</span>

Milla
Ultra Member

Postby Milla » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:47 pm

tough competition. i'm not betting on gony. adaptation was okay. and yeah, wheres oasis?

chantoir
Supreme Member

Postby chantoir » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:37 am

lol, i'm bias. most of my votes are for GONY although i still haven't watched it (will do on march 26). ;)

i've seen chicago though and it's a damn good movie. i'm buying the soundtrack later. it's a sure winner in the oscars. :D

heloise
Supreme Member

Postby heloise » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:07 am

I still dont watch chicago...and the critics are not good ;) (and no money too)...but i watched GONY (when i was rich...)......GONY is good

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:57 pm

Lammy, you two have good picks, I tip for "Bowling for Colombine", too! ;) But the Sound Oscar goes to Spiderman, according to me. At least what I heard of it was good! :lol:

And the most important thing:

The Oscars will happen. The ceremony will take place, they confirmed an hour ago. Unles something extremely big happens in connection with the war situation. They will surely take place.

And another thing:

The organizers allowed all winners to make anti-war speeches! (They didn't by now.) Now everyone who wins can say something in their 45 seconds. That's pretty liberal meaning this is the Academy.

chantoir
Supreme Member

Postby chantoir » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:05 am

The Oscars will happen.

i'm excited about the oscars, but it's really bad timing IMO. i guess people would rather watch news on the on-going war than watch celebrities on designer gowns and tuxedos. ;)

Now everyone who wins can say something in their 45 seconds.

i don't think the 45-seconds policy works. they usually go beyond that. :lol:

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:10 am

Bowling for Columbine was absolutely excellent!!! I really hope Michael Moore gets an award for it. Both because it is of very good quality and has an educative purpose, and also to piss off all those rednecks who tried to ban the film.

I don't think many celebs will have the balls to make an anti-war speech. All the celebs who did so have been dragged in the mud both by the media and the ignorants who support this war. Take for instance the Dixie Chicks....so much for the freedom of speech and opinion. But then, those who will come are the brave ones, so maybe they'll say something, hopefully they will speak up.
You have the Madonna style celebrity who sticks to what she said and sh**s on anyone dissing her, and you have the kiss-ass-Will-Smith prototype, who just follows the trend, so when it's time to diss the French (for example), then he contributes with his own self-made anti-french joke. We'll see about it.

I'm 100% behind Nicole kidman, Michael Moore, and Ice Age :P I loved it so much!!! :D

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:45 am

The ceremony should happen. No matter that politics tried to sabotage it, it's a symbol of the movie industry and to casncel it would mean that we agree with the US policy. The movie industry isn't connected with the war issue. This event is like Christmas for us and now they will ruin it for us. It's like bombing on Christmas day. But Christmas happens, right? Maybe that's they way to show that we care.

My final vote goes to "The Hours" and if this doesn't win it would be a crime. Better "Gangs" than "Chicago"

Take care everyone! ;)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:19 am

Just one thing: Michael Moore's acceptance speech! oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/win_32297.htmlRead it here! He was sweet. I mean it.

Biggest tragedy: "Gangs" took nothing, and "The Hours" took almost nothing, except Nicole's award. Hell! I mean is: even "The Two Towers" has two awards!

Big Surprise: Adrien Brody. He talked a lot more than 45 seconds and surprisingly it wasn't some of the usual crap! Eminem with "Lose Yourself" doesn't count, cause he wasn't there.

Congrats to "Chicago" and "The Pianist" :)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:24 pm

I'm sad for Scorcese, but I think it's fair. I haven't seen GONY but I'm sure his previous films were better, he's the king of mafia films, not epics. I know he'll get an honorary oscar in a few years time!

Adrian Brody rocked the show!! He was so happy, and so genuine, his comment on the war came from the heart! I'm glad he got it. Good for Polansky too!! Never thought they'd give it to him.

Gabriel Garcia Bernal impressed me. He doesn't have a proper career in the USA and yet he had the ball to say something. I loved him for being hot and talented, now I can add "worthy of respect" to the list. I recommend "Y Tu Mama Tambien" it's the kind of film for teenies with sex-obsessed happy-go-lucky teenagers, but there is a moral at the end. It's f***ing hilarious!

Colin Farrel's speech was really good to. The three of them were not pompous, and didn't show up with a prepared thingy about the war. I liked it.

Selma Hayek, Nicole Kidman, and Halle Berry were stunning. Renee Z. scared the sh** out of me :unsure:

I think I'll go and see the Pianist, and Frida.

chantoir
Supreme Member

Postby chantoir » Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:35 am

I'm sad for Scorcese, but I think it's fair. I haven't seen GONY but I'm sure his previous films were better, he's the king of mafia films, not epics. I know he'll get an honorary oscar in a few years time!

i'm very much disappointed with scorsese not winning an oscar for directing GONY. but i'm also pretty sure that even if they'll keep overlooking him, he'll definitely receive an honorary award soon because of his great contribution to the film industry. no one can just ignore that fact. marty said in a TIME interview that he's not really expecting to win (he predicted that the director of chicago will be the one to take home the award). hey marty, you don't need a little golden statue to validate the fact that you're one of the best director in hollywood. uhm, just wait for that honorary award heehee... :D

Adrian Brody rocked the show!! He was so happy, and so genuine, his comment on the war came from the heart! I'm glad he got it. Good for Polansky too!! Never thought they'd give it to him.

:nod: :nod: :nod: and that kiss, that kiss, woohoo! lol, it's part of hally's goody bag so he says.

Colin Farrel's speech was really good to. The three of them were not pompous, and didn't show up with a prepared thingy about the war. I liked it.

lol, i couldn't remember what he said. i was too distracted. he was very goodlooking that night. ;) :lol:

my fave actresses that night:

cameron diaz
salam hayek
nicole kidman
julianne moore

so gorgeous! :D

Michael Moore: Whoa. On behalf of our producers Kathleen Glynn and Michael Donovan from Canada, I'd like to thank the Academy for this. I have invited my fellow documentary nominees on the stage with us, and we would like to — they're here in solidarity with me because we like nonfiction. We like nonfiction and we live in fictitious times. We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons. Whether it's the fictition of duct tape or fictition of orange alerts we are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush, shame on you. And any time you got the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against you, your time is up. Thank you very much.

i wonder who were those people who booed. it couldn't be the celebrities. that was so brave of him though. :notworthy: some of the celebrities didn't speak up, but they wear waving peace signs, well i guess that's enough to show they don't support bush.

chantoir
Supreme Member

Postby chantoir » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:57 pm

LOWEST RATED OSCARS® EVER
March 25, 2003 | Amid the turmoil in the world, people didn't exactly tune into the Academy Awards® in droves. In fact, ABC says the estimated 33 million viewers that did watch makes Sunday night's broadcast the lowest rated Oscars in history. The last time there was so little interest in the show was in 1987 when 37.2 million watched as 'Platoon' won the best picture nod. Compare that to the 55.2 million who looked on in 1998 when 'Titanic' forged full speed ahead to tie up the record with 'Ben-Hur' for the most Oscars with 11 statuettes.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:00 am

Oh, my God! Did really so few people watch when "Platoon" won? I love Oliver Stone, he is my personal idol, but this doesn't surprise me. I mean the other people who disregarded him must be real morons. Can't wait for his new work!

Ah, and Polanski deserved. I am a fan. I thought they're gonna overlook him, because of the situation he is in, but this didn't happen. Martin Scorsese will have a lot of other movies, plus he was nominated so many times, they know he can do movies.

Lamya means "Goodfellas" and "Casino" with the mafia movies, right? My favourite should be "Age of Innocence", I'm simply attached to that movie. Or "Colour of Money"

Oh, I can't type more. This new keyboard we're using is much different from the old one. It had btter keys. I gotta get used to it.

Return to “General”