The Hours

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:10 pm

I went to the cinema today and I think I did not crack a smile since I left the room, and being honest I did not want to leave, I wanted the film to go on and on and on and on.....I'm not a great film lover because I so easily get bored, but I did not want this film to end.

I'd like to know if anyone else saw it, and what you guys think of it, because I personally never ever felt this way about a film. I cried my soul out during the film, and even when I was home. I so much understand these three women, I so much identify with them. I want to see it again, even if it really hurts.

Nicole Kidman is absolutely awesome, actually the whole cast is perfect. I cannot imagine anyone else for any of the characters, Kidman as I said gave an amazing performance, Moore is marvellous, Streep is as good as ever, and Claire Danes is so beautyful.

I am so amazed by Nicole Kidman, that's how I always imagined Virginia Woolf to be, she was so good at showing her despair, her anger, her intelligence, oh my god I'm wondering if I will ever get over that film. ANyone, let me know if you loved or hated it. Now I want to read Mrs Dalloway and the play. And I also want to see Billy Elliot because the director made an amazing job.

I highly recommend this film.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:09 pm

I'm glad you liked it L! I haven't seen it yet, cause nothing is out on time here, but I really hope it is great. And Iknow it is - as many people I believe say so. Plus I believe in those who created it. ;)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:56 pm

I bought the book today and I am reading it right now, it's very well written. I wanted to buy "Mrs Dalloway" but I couldn't find it anywhere, it seems like the film made everyone curious about it...I only read two books by V. Woolf and I really want to read Mrs Dalloway, hopefully I'll get a copy tomorrow.

Orli

Postby Orli » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:02 pm

Really its that good. I have to see it. I love films, i take film at school and i go to the movies a lot. So if this one is a s good as it has seemed im there baby.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:42 am

yep, it's that good. If you see it, I'd like to know your impression, because I know someone who saw it and thought it was the most boring thing ever.......I don't need to tell you how much I disagree with that tasteless person's comment ;)

j/k each to their own :)

Orli

Postby Orli » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:50 pm

YEah, I'm going this Friday, bought my ticket and everything! I cant wait, I have heard lots of really great reviews about it. YEah!

Milla
Ultra Member

Postby Milla » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:11 pm

i've seen it. amazing cast selection. perfect. nicole rocks! i saw it twice! i recommend to everyone! one of the best movies there are! i read the book first! extremely well -written! didn't it win some award? like...pullitzer or something?

chantoir
Supreme Member

Postby chantoir » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:35 am

hey L! could you please give me the gist of the movie. obviously, i haven't seen it yet, but after reading your post, i was curious. :)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:23 am

Chantoir I wanted to type it myself, but unlike you, I have very poor writing skills, but I found a review of the film which is exactly how I felt about it, there is a short summary (very short because as is said, there are many levels) and then a review, telling you the good and the bad. Note that what he/she puts in the bad category is good for me because a film has to be funny, or depressing/moving otherwise I hate it.

Just go to comingsoon.net/reviews/hours.phpthis site and tell me what you think of it, I believe if I had written it myslef you wouldn't have felt like watching this film. But trust me it's ACE!!!!

http://romanticmovies.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.totaleclips.com/player/splash.aspx%3Fcustid=9%26playerid=38%26clipid=e16245trailer

PS: there's something I found funny. In the book Clarissa (Meryl Streep's character) meets a celebrity in the flower shop, and they can't identify her but Clarissa thinks it's Meryl Streep.......now, I understand why this is not in the film.....how could she meet herself???? :lol:

chantoir
Supreme Member

Postby chantoir » Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:30 am

thanks L! the review was helpful. amazing cast indeed and a very interesting plot. now i'm curious about the connection between them (the 3 lead characters). i wanted to know more other than''the story of 3 women in 3 different time periods", then again, i might not be too interested to watch the movie if i already know a lot about the story. so i'm just gonna check it out as soon as it will be shown here. i think it'll be on the first week of march. i just hope it won't make me feel so depressed since i have manic depressive tendencies hehe... :D

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:12 am

It should be amazing. I think the trailer shows more than it has to, but it's enough to make me like Nicole in this - she is totally not herself. I wanna see it earlier, before it has won any Oscars but it's obviously not going to happen (Grrrr! :angry: ) earlier than march, end of March.

I also find it funny - how can Mery Streep recognize herself! :lol:

I gave two Oscars to it, in my Oscar forecast (oh, no forecast was used just for weather! :lol: ) - for Adapted Screenplay and Leading Actress - Nicole Kidman. ;)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:42 am

C I got what you meant, but I'm afraid I might tell you too much about the story, at least more than you need to know. Basically, the three women are linked by a book written by the first woman. Then there is another link between two of them but I can't give it away. Also, the three women are basically the same women facing teh same issues in three different times, it says a lot about women's conditions, and how society views them. Even with all the changes which occured, they still have to show a happy face, and no one bothers to understand them....etc....just watch, I'd spoil it if I spoke too much about that film.

Orli

Postby Orli » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:46 pm

Ohh myy goshh! I went and saw it. It was soo good! That is one of the best movies i have seen in a while. The fake nose looks really crazy on Kidman. Lol I loved this movie! I cant wait till it comes out on DVD. So cool!

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:21 am

The last time I saw Mery Streep in great company of other actress was in "Marvin's Room", that I highly recommend. It's absolutely unbelievably good, the editing was pefect and the music was absolutely amazing. Meryl Streep had quite an interesting part in this movie, it's almost my favourite movie with her. I totally believed that she and Diane Keaton were sisters.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:25 pm

I don't know if I'll buy the DVD, I mean that film made me cry while watching it, and after and I'm not sure it'd be a brilliant idea to have it at home y'see ;)

I'd like to know what are your favourite scenes! Mine, well, I have three, one for each woman:

I love when Virginia is at the train station and takes off her chest all she had to say about her life to her husband.

I love when Laura is in the toilets and her husband waiting for her in bed and says "It's time to come to bed Laura Brown".....MAN!!! The more she was crying the more I was crying too! I hated him at that specific moment, he is nice and sweet but I hated him for being what he was, for being blind and stupid.

I love when Clarissa goes to Richard's and she's at the entrance of the flat, he is sitting near the window......MAN!!! I think that's the second moment when I cried the most, after the "come to bed" thing.

I think these three moments are very similar, they are when each woman realises she is alone, totally alone, you can have family, friends, lovers, kids, whatever, you are still alone. Laura is the most unlucky one because no one understands her, no one even bothers trying. When her husband tells their son how this life is all he'd ever wanted, he looks at her and tells her how HE saw happiness, and how HE is enjoying it.....he never asked her if she was happy, never noticed how miserable she is.
Virginia is very lucky, her husband loves her, and above all he is intelligent, he has consideration for his wife, he makes efforts, sacrifices, he understands her even though he can't follow her strange mind he still trusts her even though she's mad. She's lucky, she's not as lonely as Laura.
Then Clarissa, she has someone to help her, he's always forcing her to face her life and she refuses until he finds the ultimate way to do it, and then it hurts. That's the only way to be happy, to face it.

I think in those three moments, what Virginia says applies to all of them.....To look life in the face, To know it for what it is, To love it for what it is.....that's so true!!

MAN! I could write a dissetation on this film, I loved it so much. OK, I think I'd better stop now :)

chantoir
Supreme Member

Postby chantoir » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:09 am

:lol: yes L! you better stop giving movie spoilers hehe... I didn't read your last post btw, I want to keep the curiousity in me burning. :)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:42 am

I'm sure I'm gonna love Laura Brown. Julianne is always beautiful, and really sensitive about her roles. I'm sure she made it.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:58 pm

OK Chantoir, I'll stop here, but don't worry I didn't give away the main stuff.....but I'll shut up now, I hate when people tell me too much about films. Hope you'll watch it soon, and let me know about it!!

Claire, I assure you Julianne Moore is great! Laura Brown is my favourite character, but also very much love Virginia's character. I'm planning to go and see "Far from Heaven" I think her character in that film is close to Laura Brown's, I'm not sure I'll enjoy that but I still want to go for it.......I will after watching "Frida", I think.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:21 pm

I also think the characters are similar, cause in Far From Heaven she is a housewife in the 50s. I haven't watched it, too, but I know much about it (without the whole plot of course), cause I pretty much believe it's really good movie (and may win Original sript if it isn't GONY). And because I'm a really big fan of Julianne and all her work and I also think the director and write Todd Haynes is an amazing man ( both as moviemaker and man :lol: ). I've always liked her characters, not only her Oscar nominated performances before, but of course The End Of the Affair, where she did a good English accent, btw, not worse than Ralph Fiennes (great man! :wub: ).

But in this movie, I'm most curious about Virginia. I'll read the piece you gave me online. I only read Mrs. Dalloway, about Clarissa Dalloway (definitely my style!) and watched the movie with Vanessa Redgrave (not like the book!). But also plan to borrow "Orlando" another novel of Virginia, from the library. I read it's a very famous novel of hers.

This of course doesn't mean I'mnot curious about Meryl Streep's performance! I think she is a living legend and I love some of her movies. Great praise for her. Plus, her character has the same name as my favourite name - Clarissa! ;)

Opa! Enough for The Hours for me today! I'm writing long posts again.....

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:29 am

Aww, you read Mrs Dalloway!!! I want to read it, but believe it or not it's sold out absolutely everwhere in this city!! I'm so pissed off, I really want to read it. Is it good?

As I said I only read two of her books, the second one is To The Lighthouse....takes place in the Hebrides, Scotland!!! :yay:
And it's really good, at first I hated it because I had to study it for my university course, and being honest it was really not easy, but then I passed it very well and it made me want to read it again......then I loved it :wub:

I'm not too sure about Far From Heaven, I don't really want to see it, right now I want to see frida.....Selma & Ed :smlove:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:48 pm

Well, I'm sure the book is in the library! Ain't you registered in any? I pretty much enjoy that style. She writes these random thoughts and different stories, but they're all connected. There is always one message in all of them. It's hard to read, and it's hard to assimilate, but I definitely enjoyed her book! I mean that I can follow her thoughts. But it would be hard to analyse it at school, I wouldn't want to do it - this would spoil it for me, totally.

Go, see Frida, hope Salma did good! ;)

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:18 am

Claire wrote: Well, I'm sure the book is in the library! Ain't you registered in any?

BLASPHEMY!!! I shall never read a book and not possess it forever! I like to keep the books I read, you'll never get me to sell any of my books or any of my CDs and whatever I read, it's always mine. I always buy it, just in case one day I had the urge to read it again.....don't laugh it happened!! Besides if it's not at hte book shop I highly doubt I'll find it at teh library....anyway, it's ok, I bought another book of hers to keep myself waiting. It's an essay on women and fiction, I started it just yesterday but it's really funny with lots of anecdotes which are both funny and all of them point out one true fact about women and society. It's quite a different style, actually she wrote it after giving a lecture at Girton College.....it's called A Room Of One's Own.

Note that Girton College is one of teh very first COllege for women, I think it was started by Emily davies, if it qwasn't her it must hvae been D. Beale or Mrs Buss...anyway, by one of the world pioneers in matters of feminism :D :D :D

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:40 am

laura l wrote: BLASPHEMY!!! I shall never read a book and not posess it forever!

I guess your place is full of books then! :D I mean, if I had to keep soem of the books I take from th elibrary, I definitely would do it, cause they will be close to me when I want to read them. But this means I would have to take half of the library home! :lol: And there is really no place for that. Plus - here books are a little expensive, and you can't afford more than one per month (to buy). Well, maybe it's just for us here, I think in western Europe 5 Euro is normal price? And if the person (me) gets for example 20 Euro pocket money - hm, you deal with numbers I can't! :lol:

And about Virginia - she is a big part of me, like I can feel what she meant in the book, in each part of it, all the thoughts. I think she was an extremely brave woman fro her time, and the fact that she dared to leave this world in that way really makes her a legend for me.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:40 pm

Claire wrote: And about Virginia - she is a big part of me, like I can feel what she meant in the book, in each part of it, all the thoughts. I think she was an extremely brave woman fro her time, and the fact that she dared to leave this world in that way really makes her a legend for me.

OMG! same here!!! I swear you're gonna love The Hours, and you'll see hhow you'll feel about Laura Brown, she's like a very fragile version of Virginia. Virginia wa so intelligent, a feminist, and had a very supportive husband. Laura was alone, knew nothing of the world, she could do nothing, she was like trapped. You'll see that scene in teh bedroom, when she's in the toilets, and he's calling her, she was crying so hard, and she really makes you feel connected, she's crying your tears. I loved Virginia and Laura the most.

I don't admire Virginia fro commiting suicide. But I can understand, she was ill, no one could do anything for her. Being mentally ill for someone of her intelligence is like losing the use of the legs for a football player I think, it's best to die.

I do have loads and loads of books. Now being in Britian is even better because here people read a hell of a lot, more than in France, so books are very cheap, but I bought so many, I'm wondering how I'm gonna bring all that back home!!!! :(

anakin
Advanced Member

Postby anakin » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:51 pm

Claire........don't pay attention to Lamya, she's a femminist/comunist/anti-capitalism !!! WAF, maybe you're too !!!!

ciao belle.......

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:59 pm

VIVO EL COMMUNISMO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vittorio and myself are working on a project to start some new "International" for a new world order. Mind you, l'International not like l'inter de Milan, I say that because you're Italian. you know what I mean......Ah! ces Italiens!! can't live with them, can't live without them! :wub:

heloise
Supreme Member

Postby heloise » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:18 pm

laura l wrote: Ah! ces Italiens!! can't live with them, can't live without them! :wub:

ur man,....isn't he italian ?????? <_<

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:16 am

I think they are not gonna show The Hours here, unless it wins, of course. I mean they may show it but somewhere in June or somewhere later. you know, it sometimes feels "great" here esp. for the movie geeks (sorta moi). I feel terrible about it, that when they show most of these "Oscar awarded" movies , they would have won already. Hell! I pretty much think this movie deserves most cause they say it's a good combination of message and creative part. I really hope it becomes this year's Beautiful Mind and it wins and they show it here! (Told you, otherwise we'll have to wait) Cause I know that they are gonna show "Gangs.." and "Chicago" for sure, in May.

How is Stephen Daldry? I think "Billy Elliot" is extremely interesting movie, though I don't know much about how it was created, and its makers. I just watched it. Doesn't happen often to me - not to know anything about the creation and to see a movie! I liked it.

Lamya, Virginia returned my faith in British literature. I mean - what do they write about? it is always so depressing, and although I see it's good I can't accept it. I mean Charles Dickens; when I was 7 I read david Copperfield and it scared me, I was really upset. How can they say it's an appropriate book for kids? It's so depressing, I have a fobia fro Dickens' work since then. I was afraid to read "Oliver twist" and didn't do it until I was twelve! Sometimes I think Oscar Wilde is the only one that I can get. And he is depressing, too.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:20 am

anakin wrote: Lamya, she's a femminist/comunist/anti-capitalism! WAF, maybe you're too!

Yes, I am sort of communist! :lol: Well, of course in its pure form, not meaning what the Communist Party did during the last century. But I certainly support the idea that all humans should be equal in social life! Not in personality and credos, of course!

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:46 pm

Claire wrote: Lamya, Virginia returned my faith in British literature. I mean - what do they write about? it is always so depressing, and although I see it's good I can't accept it. I mean Charles Dickens; when I was 7 I read david Copperfield and it scared me, I was really upset. How can they say it's an appropriate book for kids? It's so depressing, I have a fobia fro Dickens' work since then. I was afraid to read "Oliver twist" and didn't do it until I was twelve! Sometimes I think Oscar Wilde is the only one that I can get. And he is depressing, too.

:o I can't let you say that about Dickens. You ahve to read "hard Times" it's so funny. I mean, the satire of the Victorian society, and the exaggeration, oh my god it really was funny. The story itself is not meant to be humorous, but the way he writes, and depicts that boisterous pseudo-self-made man, and the teachers at shool, and Mrs Gradgrind.....etc..., many elements of the book make it a very good and funny satire, and it's not a sad ending.
Never been to the end of Oliver Twist, but read enough to love the Artful Dodger, dunno why :shrug:
Some British writers are really funny. I think the only book that ever made my laugh my ass off out loud, literally, was "The Importance of being Easrnest" by Oscar Wilde. You have to read that too, it's a play, very short and the funniest piece of literature I ever came across. And didn't you read "Pygmalion" by G.B. Shaw? I loved it, and it was funny too. Don't laugh, but most Shakespeare comedies made me laugh too. I know I've a very weird sense of humour though.

Anyway, right now nothing comes to my mind, but I'll tell you about funny books if I ever remember one. But actually, apart from plays, I'm not sure I read many funny novels.....hhmmm...I'll think of it.

PS: I don't consider myself a true feminist until I read "A Vindication of Women" by *saint* Mary :lol: :lol: she didn't invent anything, but she put it very well, or so they say, I'll have to read it!

DarkDance

Postby DarkDance » Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:35 am

I just saw "The Hours".
THE BEST!!
I have a question and I'm going to ask it in a way as to not give away anything in the movie to anyone who hasn't seen it, but I have to know if anyone else thought this:
The scene with Virginia and the little girl at the bird burial.
Don't we run into that "little girl" years later "baking a birthday cake?" (If you've seen it you'll know the characters I'm talking about).

It's that the final thread that brings them together?

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:56 am

DarkDance wrote: The scene with Virginia and the little girl at the bird burial.
Don't we run into that "little girl" years later "baking a birthday cake?" (If you've seen it you'll know the characters I'm talking about).

It's that the final thread that brings them together?

I thougyht of it too, but then the little girl's name is Angelica. i could be wrong though.

Glad to hear of someone else who loved it. This film is ace!!!

What's your fave scene in the film? I asked this to many people, and no one answered like me. It seems like the train station scene is the most popular, it's also my favourite along with another one.

DarkDance

Postby DarkDance » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:45 pm

I may have seen the theme of it a little differently.
(I can't remember names here so I'm going to do descriptions)
I like the Julian's husband, and saw him as very similar to Meryl's girlfriend (sympathetic and lonely)
The two of them:
They loved their partners but had little control over making them happy and had an easier time pretending that things were ok than they would have had facing the problems that they themselves had not created and could not repair.
For me, the movie dealt with that fact:
We cannot make someone else happy, and we don't have the right to make the decision about life or death for someone else (suicide choices).
The idea of this is frightening to some because it admits that we are powerless but at the same time it takes from us the burden of responsibilty of someone else's sadness.
Virginia's husband was similar, but a little more involved in her mental problems and because of that unable to deny the cloud of sadness that surrounded her.
Great movie!!!!
Oh yes, favorite scene:
The good bye and the window - breathtaking, surreal and yet totally real.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:35 pm

Geez!! I thought I was going to scream during that scene! Maybe I did, and didn't realise....but fuvk knows I cried :(

I don't quite agree with your view of it, and that's quite interesting.

I think Leonard and Clarissa's girlfriend are similar. They both understand and try to help, even if it means doing nothing and not interfering. For Clarissa's girlfriend it's even harder as she knows she's only number two, Ricky is second for sure.
I think Laura's husband does not pretend to be happy, he is happy. there is that scene in teh kitchen when he explains his son how this life is what he's always wanted, how it was HIS vision of happiness. The problem is, Laura feels she doesn't fit at all in that pattern. To me the scene in teh bedroom is an exctention of teh kitchen conversation, he is happy, he thinks it is all perfect, and she is dying in that world where she does not belong.

Tell me what ye think ;)

Return to “General”