Was There Really Any Need......

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:22 am

..............for the americans to drape their stars and stripes over the statue of saddam hussein in Baghdad??

I thought this 'campaign' is about liberating not conquering and imposing.

If the end result is victory, then this victory should belong to the Iraqis who have suffered under the regime for 25 years, not those who have been dropping the bombs. It should've been the old Iraqi flag placed over his face, if they were going to do such a thing, but of course we can't miss an opportunity to wave the stars and stripes can we(!). Even the head general of the British army deemed it 'offensive to suffering Iraqis' and 'highly inappropriate'.

And hello......the British also played a highly significant part, but you didn't see them throwing their flag around.

People should be aware that a lot still don't support this war and to create an image like the one I just saw, just simply isn't appropriate. Take down his statue by all means....throw rocks at it if you want, but have the decency to show some respect for the Iraqi people. Aren't they the reason we all went to war in the first place????

txnchick

Postby txnchick » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:20 am

..............for the americans to drape their stars and stripes over the statue of saddam hussein in Baghdad??

I thought this 'campaign' is about liberating not conquering and imposing

Which is exactly why the flag was removed. The government is being careful to avoid displaying signs of "occupation" as that is not the objective. It is customary to fly your country's flag when you take over an area in war. It's not as if it's never been done before.

People should be aware that a lot still don't support this war and to create an image like the one I just saw, just simply isn't appropriate. Take down his statue by all means....throw rocks at it if you want, but have the decency to show some respect for the Iraqi people. Aren't they the reason we all went to war in the first place????

You even say yourself that the flag was removed. Why do you think that was? Perhaps out of respect for the Iraqi people? The troops did what is second nature for them to do in a situation like this. Give it a rest. They took it down moments later. I know you love to hate the U.S., but if you're going to start a topic for the sole purpose of complaining about something we've done, make it something worth arguing about.

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:10 pm

It is customary to fly your country's flag when you take over an area in war.  It's not as if it's never been done before.

Oh, er, okay.....so that makes it okay then does it?

You even say yourself that the flag was removed.  Why do you think that was?  Perhaps out of respect for the Iraqi people?

It was there long enough to make a point and certainly there long enough for the media to get some nice shots. In the second week of war the american troops put a flag up at Um Quasr port....they were ordeed by the british military to take it down for the reasons you cited. Er, nice to see they learnt their lesson!!!

The troops did what is second nature for them to do in a situation like this.

Whatever.

I know you love to hate the U.S.,

No hate involved. Don't be so dismissive. Just criticism, which I have for many countries including my own. I'm not a hardcore patriot, I'd rather see with my eyes open.

but if you're going to start a topic for the sole purpose of complaining about something we've done, make it something worth arguing about.

But obviously it's worth arguing about, otherwise you wouldn't have replyed so promptly. :shrug:

txnchick

Postby txnchick » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:14 pm

ADRIANA_A wrote:
but if you're going to start a topic for the sole purpose of complaining about something we've done, make it something worth arguing about.

But obviously it's worth arguing about, otherwise you wouldn't have replyed so promptly. :shrug:

Maybe I should rephrase my statement then - What exactly was the POINT of your statement?

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:36 pm

The point?

You know when you've just seen something that's really frustrated you? And you need to rant about it because no-one's around?

That's simply what it was.

The whole idea of sticking flags in other countries after bombing them, just doesn't sit well with me. That's just my personal feeling. If the Brits had done it, I would've been on their case.....if Brazil had done it, I would've been on theirs too!! It's just going that little too far.....

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:49 am

as i heard it and saw it, the iraqi civilians were given tools to take the statue down themselves; however, the size and strength of the monument made it too difficult for them to demolish. that is when an american tank was used as a crane to loosen the statue from its base. at the time when the rope was attached, and american marine put the flag over the head of saddam's monument. the flag was there only momentarily and was removed. the statue fell, and at that time the iraqi civilians took over the process of destroying it and their own flag was displayed. :nod:

and btw... i've seen a couple of comments on this board about "selective posting." wow! is this little post ever an excellent example of that! :lol:

txnchick

Postby txnchick » Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:19 pm

lancesgrl wrote: and btw... i've seen a couple of comments on this board about "selective posting." wow! is this little post ever an excellent example of that! :lol:

I've noticed that too. It's funny how "selective posting" is only okay when it suits their own agenda.

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:06 am

I wasn't against thestatue being pulled down - I'm aware that the Iraqis asked for that and called upon the Americans to help them. Despite what you may think, my anti-War stance is not indicitive of an anti-American feeling. I know pro-war Americans like to claim such a thing....but we could easily twist it and say that pro-war Americans are anti-Europe or anti-Islamic?

Anyway, what i didn't agree was the American flag being placed over the head. It was incitement and really needless and I'm not alone in thinking that.

It's funny how "selective posting" is only okay when it suits their own agenda.

Whatdarkdance chooses to say from his own mouth is his choice - that's what we're all doing. My remark about selective posting is when he puts up some random Englishman's letter supporting the war, or some other 'copyand paste' job and insinuating that these are representative of the entire world. As a non-American, all I'm saying on this predominatly-American board, that it simply ain't true. :shrug:

I know I put one up to - but it was my retatliation to lancegirls's comment.

But even so, call me a 'hypocrite' on that :shrug: I'm woman enough to admit it. Doesn't entirely bother me. Your own hypocrises are apparent, but funnily enough, you never admit them.

Anyway,I've seen the American news channels - they've got nothing on me when it comes to 'selection' :laughup: :laughup:

WHITE-POWER

Postby WHITE-POWER » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:45 am

Oh woman, just quit your moaning about this – you’re pissing me off. :angry: Of course there was a need for america to put their flag up. This is all about dominance and as a European you should never have thought otherwise.

I encourage selective posting – the americans are the worst for it. And if anything their efforts are pathetically sweet. But they’re in denial, that’s why when any post that tells them the truth about themselves and their pissy little land, is put up, they don’t know how to respond. :unsure:

Who cares about the opinion of an nsync ‘lance c*** lover’ fan anyway? If it’s out of sympathy, fine, but Brain-dead and N-Stink fans come hand-in-hand. Or why would you even bother with someone who not only has actually admitted she comes from scummy texas :shrug: but as a mother, quite happily supports violence. Ah, a nice high-principled american family home(!) Both just carry one another throughout these threads. Don’t bother even addressing them anymore: they’re not mature enough to accept the truth of their government. Their opinions are about as manufactured and predictable as their musical tastes.

Return to “General”